Forum Index > Trip Reports > Limpin' up Hollenbeck Canyon, 07.04.12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 pm 
Two wknds. in a row w/o hiking? eek.gif Unthinkable! Sometimes life's little setbacks force you stop running in the hamster wheel for a bit. One is forced to pause, take stock, & realize that yes...the hiking itch is still there b/c everything else one could do on a wknd., well, just isn't as interesting. redface.gif With my bum leg feeling better, but still not 100%, I needed a trail relatively short & flat. It also needed to be something I hadn't done before, & something not too crowded, & not too hot (our beloved Anza-Borrego is in the triple digits these days stun.gif ). Finally we settled on Hollenbeck Canyon, located near the town of Jamul.
Heading into the canyon
Heading into the canyon
We stuck to the main trail that headed N/NE up the canyon. Shortly after the 1st junction we came to a nice big oak tree & I couldn't resist climbing it. wink.gif
BC in big oak tree
BC in big oak tree
Shady seat
Shady seat
Hills ahead
Hills ahead
It was a nice easy walk up the trail, & we only saw a few other peeps & a few horses (& lots of horse poop). poop.gif
Hollenbeck Canyon
Hollenbeck Canyon
Looking back the way we came
Looking back the way we came
Zoom of Lyons Pk.
Zoom of Lyons Pk.
We took the trail until it began curving southish & had a nice view back to the west. We could also see some nearby peaks to the north & east.
Lyons Pk.
Lyons Pk.
View NE
View NE
It was a good choice for a re-entry hike, w/o putting too much strain on my leg. Next time I should be able to step it up a notch. smile.gif up.gif up.gif
Almost back to the TH
Almost back to the TH

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message