Forum Index > Trip Reports > Across Anderson Pass - ONP 6/4-6/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 11:41 am 
Up the West Fork of the Dosewallips, over Anderson Pass and down the East Fork of the Quinault. Still lots of snow between Honeymoon Meadows and the O'Neil Pass trail junction, but very beautiful and quite manageable with a little care, even for those of us not overly comfortable with snow travel. Navigation adds simplify the trip a lot. Trip description and pictures attached. http://aclayjar.blogspot.com/2012/07/crossing-olympics-dose-to-enchanted.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 12:08 pm 
Looks like a nice adventure. It seems like the Snow is melting a lot sooner than this time last year. Great stuff.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 12:40 pm 
Very nice, thanks for the pictures and the story. I haven't been up to Anderson pass and Anderson glacier since the mid-90's, I think I need to go back. I forget what year I went, but it was the year that a new high bridge opened, and I believe was destroyed the very next year, so it's not the bridge that's there now.

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 12:44 pm 
Slugman wrote:
it was the year that a new high bridge opened, and I believe was destroyed the very next year, so it's not the bridge that's there now.
I don't remember what year this bridge debuted, but somewhere in the range of 6-9 years ago I believe. It was closed for many years. I don't remember a bridge lasting there only a year, but old age does funny things to memories. I do remember the older bridge from 25 years ago and how spooked the wife was to go across it.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 pm 
Yeah, that "first" bridge was destroyed, and a new steel girder bridge installed, and then very shortly, that one was twisted on its side by a huge snow accumulation, and then there was no bridge for a while, then we got the one that's there now. I wonder if a history of the bridges at that site is available online somewhere? hmmm.gif Ha, I just did a google search using "high dose bridge history" as the search terms, and what popped up first? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2797 My own thread from this site announcing the opening of the current bridge in 2003. hmmm.gif In the winter of 1998/99, the bridge that was there was bent into a V shape and twisted by the snow. This is the steel girder bridge that I believe was only in place very shortly, just one or two years if my memory serves. Ha, a June 1997 article in the Kitsap Sun mentions that the new Dose bridge has just opened, so it was open just two hiking seasons before being destroyed. So, now I know I either went in 1997 or 1998 to Anderson pass and glacier. cool.gif

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 1:35 pm 
Slugman wrote:
So, now I know I either went in 1997 or 1998 to Anderson pass and glacier.
Between the time I was married in 83 and the first kid came along in 87, my wife and I hiked that stretch of trail a lot. We were across the bridge several times during that period. But once we started into the kid business the hiking seemed to take a hiatus for a few years. By the time I got back into that part of the park the bridge, and likely its replacement, were gone. It is nice having it back though.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 1:40 pm 
Yes, very nice, especially since there was some sentiment after the 1997 bridge died so quickly that maybe another new bridge was a waste of money. But this new new bridge has stood up well so far, let's hope it keeps on keepin' on. Anderson glacier is still one of the most awesome places I have ever hiked to, and I have wanted to go back for quite a while. I think I need to stop waiting for the road to be fixed, and just get up there this summer. hmmm.gif

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 1:53 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I think I need to stop waiting for the road to be fixed
The road is hardly a road anymore. It is quickly going the way of the 4 mile road heading out from Staircase. Just think of it as a trail extension and then its not a bad walk. There are really a lot of flowers along that stretch right now.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 2:25 pm 
Before this year, my normal weekend was three days, and longer stretches off were hard to come by, so having the road re-opened would have been a decently large factor in making the trip more feasible. Now my weekends are six days, so it isn't much of a factor anymore. I have a six-day stretch in mid-August not spoken for yet, so this may be a candidate. It depends on whether or not I'm "stuck" with the dog that weekend. If so, I'll have to go somewhere else.

silence

silence
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 6:39 pm 
sweet .. good job getting up there!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 7:06 pm 
A bit off topic... can I assume from your gear list that you don't cook? I'd like to hear some of your favorite no-cook meals hockeygrin.gif up.gif

silence

silence
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 7:24 pm 
hey .. did you get any beta from the lacrosse pass group .. i gather there's still quite a bit of snow up there?

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 7:38 pm 
PorcupinePhobia wrote:
A bit off topic... can I assume from your gear list that you don't cook? I'd like to hear some of your favorite no-cook meals hockeygrin.gif up.gif
I have just this year started going stoveless. I intend on writing up what I am doing so far, but it is definitely a work in progress. Pretty heavy into tortillas and tuna, salmon, chicken & PB&J for dinner and lunch with Nido & instant breakfast in the morning. Working at getting enough mayo and other condiments into the sandwiches to make them tasty, but not bad so far. Also working at banishing the cliff bars (and other similar bars). They are OK, but I find myself having to choke them down after awhile. Lots of nuts, granola, dried fruit, candy, cheese and meat sticks. Lots of variety and tasty too.

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 7:39 pm 
silence wrote:
hey .. did you get any beta from the lacrosse pass group .. i gather there's still quite a bit of snow up there?
Not much. They said the snow started about 3500 foot. There were a lot of blowdowns on the Dose side while the Duckabush side was in good shape.

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 7:41 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Now my weekends are six days
I am semi retired and work from home. So my weekends are pretty much anytime I want them to be, and for as long as I need. hockeygrin.gif