Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jul 07, 2012 7:43 pm 
I could live with that. agree.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polesneeded

polesneeded
PostSun Jul 08, 2012 10:48 pm 
My husband and I were two of the many backpackers you met as you left Enchanted Valley...Really enjoyed your trip report and pictures! Thanks for posting them. smile.gif

silence

silence
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 6:29 am 
edjarrett wrote:
Pretty heavy into tortillas and tuna, salmon, chicken & PB&J for dinner and lunch with Nido & instant breakfast in the morning. Working at getting enough mayo and other condiments into the sandwiches to make them tasty, but not bad so far. Also working at banishing the cliff bars (and other similar bars). They are OK, but I find myself having to choke them down after awhile. Lots of nuts, granola, dried fruit, candy, cheese and meat sticks. Lots of variety and tasty too.
I'm really curious why you are going stoveless? It seems that weight isn't the issue since the no-cook food you are carrying is pretty heavy so I don't see the trade off ... or have you done the calculations? (stove, pot, fuel vs the weightier food). We do enjoy our morning joe to get us kick-started so that would be hard to give up .. but other than that I suppose we could do the same .. but I also find our dinners are actually the lightest meals we carry ... ditto on the cliff bars .. these days I carry them mainly for climbing .. for the extra carbs and potassium .. as bad as they are ... they do seem to get the job done (plus they are a good emergency meal)

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Eeyore

Eeyore
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 8:49 am 
polesneeded wrote:
My husband and I were two of the many backpackers you met as you left Enchanted Valley...Really enjoyed your trip report and pictures! Thanks for posting them. smile.gif
Thanks. Hope you enjoyed the Valley as well. Must have been crowded that night.

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:19 am 
silence wrote:
I'm really curious why you are going stoveless? It seems that weight isn't the issue since the no-cook food you are carrying is pretty heavy so I don't see the trade off ... or have you done the calculations? (stove, pot, fuel vs the weightier food) We do enjoy our morning joe to get us kick started so that would be hard to give up .. but other than that I suppose we could do the same .. but I also find our dinners are actually the lightest meals we carry ...
To be quite honest, I had never bothered to weigh the ingredients for a tuna sandwich, but have done so now. Large tortilla, 2 tuna packs & condiments - 278 grams - 550 calories - 25.5g fat - 38g carb - 42g protein Mountain House Chicken Teriyaki with Rice Pro-Pak - 130 grams - 450 calories - 5g fat - 81g carbs - 21g protein JetBoil Sol with small fuel canister (no kick stand) - 506 grams The canister will last 6-7 days with just dinner boils and no drinks. So for 3 days stoveless is lighter, day 4 is a wash and days 5-6 or 7 the stove would be lighter. The one meal I compared gives me a few more calories with the sandwich with much more fat and protein and much less in the way of carbs, which is not necessarily a bad thing for a dinner meal. I am not a coffee drinker so that does not factor into the equation for me. I do enjoy a hot dinner. But making and eating a sandwich is overall easier and quicker to do. And it is not really all that bad either.

silence

silence
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 am 
thx much! great food for thought biggrin.gif we get our carbs in the morn with grape nuts our protein/carbs at lunch with cheese and crackers and the rest with a balanced meal at nite .. i repackage cup o' meals in quart freezer bags for each of us .. add 1 cup of boiling h2o and eat right out of the bag .. while there's the bag to carry back out .. this requires no clean up so it's a fast and ez meal

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 am 
I have been drinking a pint of instant breakfast with Nido in the morning, a PB&J or Spam sandwich for 1st lunch, meat, cheese & wheat thins for second lunch, and granola, nuts, dried fruit, and small candy bars in between times. I have a belly bag full of snacks and take a bit every half hour or so. Seems like I eat pretty much all the time. rolleyes.gif

silence

silence
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 am 
thx again .. the instant breakfast is a great idea .. getting tired of grape nuts (and erin's breakfast cookies) .. even though these are the only things that sustain us to lunchtime .. do you find the IB with Nido keeps you going? i should've mentioned that we do have our favorite snacks along too .. robert likes m&ms ... i like salty -- sunflower seed, pretzels .. or occasionally trail mix (but that's pretty heavy) o and dessert for after dinner .. hot cocoa if it's a cold forecast .. and a couple of cookies

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 10:08 am 
A pint of Nido and Instant Breakfast has nearly 600 calories. I have been eating a small breakfast bar with it because I fell the need to crunch something, although I do not think it is necessary. I carry a couple of quart sized Gatorade bottles with me. In the morning I drink one (filled with water) down to half way, dump a pre-made baggy of powder into it, shake a moment, and start drinking. I can be tearing down camp at the same time and there is no cleanup required. Just add a little water to the bottle, shake and drink and then refill for the trail. I eat some cookies prior to bed as well. Good little treat. hockeygrin.gif

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:11 pm 
Good food discussion. I will forward to a friend who is struggling with finding backpacking foods he likes. Three comments: As long as your coffee doesn't have to be hot, Starbuck's VIA dissolves in cold water. Some types of tuna have high mercury levels. Should be eaten rarely and with caution. Probably not at all by children. Am I the only one who really likes Clif bars?

silence

silence
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:20 pm 
another meal i forgot .. we find crackers and cheese gets old fast .. so sometimes i will take 6 whole wheat floor tortillas, 3/4 c dehydrated black beans in a freezer bag, paks of salsa i get at taco bell, a pack of tuna, and 1 cup of uncle bens quick cook rice in a baggie ... i add a 1 cup or less boiled h2o to the rice and beans and let them sit for 5 mins .. then make up a batch of wraps .. enough for dinner that night and lunch the next day .. this is a luxury meal (being heavy) .. so we usually consume it early on to shed the weight .. recently we did a backpack in the sw where we had to carry in all our h2o .. this is when i really started rethinking about what you really need cause we had to conserve water .. on our last trip we took only the rice and tuna for dinner (with paks of soy sauce) .. mixed them together in individual freezer bags, added the hot h2o to each and ate right out of the bags as usual .. again, fast ez and no clean up we never cook in our titanium pot .. only boil water alpinerose ... of course we know about tuna ... we might eat it once a month ... if that; we drink VIA ... but didn't know about cold water imo all those bars taste the same

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:30 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Some types of tuna have high mercury levels. Should be eaten rarely and with caution. Probably not at all by children.
That is a good point. I like tuna, but don't really eat it all that much, except now when I am backpacking. At 59 years old I suspect I can eat a few packages a year without much long range harm. winksmile.gif
AlpineRose wrote:
Am I the only one who really likes Clif bars?
I don't dislike them. Some of them are good. But it does not take many of them out on the trail until it feels like I am having to choke them down. I would rather take something that I really like and know I will eat than something that is OK, but I will not be as inclined to eat. I always seem to bring back a lot of clif bars, but not so much of the granola, nuts & dried fruit packages. hockeygrin.gif

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:34 pm 
silence wrote:
another meal i forgot .. we find crackers and cheese gets old fast .. so sometimes i will take 6 whole wheat floor tortillas, 3/4 c dehydrated black beans in a freezer bag, paks of salsa i get at taco bell, a pack of tuna, and 1 cup of uncle bens quick cook rice in a baggie ... i add a 1 cup or less boiled h2o to the rice and beans and let them sit for 5 mins .. then make up a batch of wraps .. enough for dinner that night and lunch the next day
I would like to find something like that that I would eat, especially cold. I know some folks rehydrate using cold water, but the one I tried was not very palatable. shakehead.gif
silence wrote:
we never cook in our titanium pot .. only boil water
I hardly ever cooked anything in my pot other than water either. Much easier to cleanup if it only contains water.

kite

kite
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:39 pm 
packitgourmet has several meals that are cold prep

Eeyore

Eeyore
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 pm 
kite wrote:
packitgourmet has several meals that are cold prep
Cool! Thanks. up.gif