Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > State landlocks federal land with Discover pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 pm 
tod701 wrote:
snoqpass wrote:
You don't have to buy the car.... http://adventureawaits.com/2012/07/carter-subaru/
I heard this weekend that the State gave Carter Subaru 1200 D-passes for free. confused.gif
You should probably stop listening to whoever told you that. hmmm.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tod701

tod701
PostFri Aug 03, 2012 2:25 pm 
Slugman wrote:
tod701 wrote:
snoqpass wrote:
You don't have to buy the car.... http://adventureawaits.com/2012/07/carter-subaru/
I heard this weekend that the State gave Carter Subaru 1200 D-passes for free. confused.gif
You should probably stop listening to whoever told you that. hmmm.gif
Why? I followed up on this and found that according to Ilene Frisch at Washington State Parks, the 1200 passes were given to Carter Subaru in trade for the Discover Pass to be included in Carter's 2012 marketing campaign.

Tod
iampam

iampam
PostFri Aug 03, 2012 5:21 pm 
tod701 wrote:
I followed up on this and found that according to Ilene Frisch at Washington State Parks, the 1200 passes were given to Carter Subaru in trade for the Discover Pass to be included in Carter's 2012 marketing campaign.
You spoke with Ilene and she told you that, or you googled it and are making that assumption based on Commission meeting notes?

tod701

tod701
PostFri Aug 03, 2012 5:25 pm 
iampam wrote:
You spoke with Ilene and she told you that, or you googled it and are making that assumption based on Commission meeting notes?
I had Legislative staff contact her on my behalf and they forwarded me her email reply.

Tod
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Aug 04, 2012 9:25 am 
Outrageous..

iampam

iampam
PostSat Aug 04, 2012 9:49 am 
I looked into it further, apparently Carter is spending $300,000 in radio advertising promoting the special, which is also promoting the Discover Pass, so I guess that's why State Parks felt justified in giving them away for free? There has been a sentiment (from administrators and perhaps some legislators) that maybe the Discover Pass can be successful if we just advertise it more. This move is consistent with that. Interesting...

cragrat

cragrat
PostMon Aug 06, 2012 8:51 pm 
Parks need to be available to all, at a reasonable fee. Some state parks won't even let you drive in to check out a campsite, you may've made a reservation for at a later date, unless you have a discover pass. Fish and Wildlife makes it even worse, when those who buy hunting/fishing licenses, receive an Access Pass, only valid at WDFW access areas only...yet without reading the fine print, and the fact its on a yellow pass holder (like a valid discover pass), everyone thinks it is a discover pass, and ofter learn its not, after getting a citation. State Public lands need to get back to receiving general fund monies to operate, and work towards marketing the public role to protect and preserve lands through donations that enhance facilities, contribute to trail maintenance, and allows one a better recreational experience. Write your state senators and representative of you ideas and ways to better operate our state public lands.

tod701

tod701
PostMon Aug 06, 2012 9:39 pm 
cragrat wrote:
Parks need to be available to all, at a reasonable fee. Some state parks won't even let you drive in to check out a campsite, you may've made a reservation for at a later date, unless you have a discover pass. Fish and Wildlife makes it even worse, when those who buy hunting/fishing licenses, receive an Access Pass, only valid at WDFW access areas only...yet without reading the fine print, and the fact its on a yellow pass holder (like a valid discover pass), everyone thinks it is a discover pass, and ofter learn its not, after getting a citation. State Public lands need to get back to receiving general fund monies to operate, and work towards marketing the public role to protect and preserve lands through donations that enhance facilities, contribute to trail maintenance, and allows one a better recreational experience. Write your state senators and representative of you ideas and ways to better operate our state public lands.
I'd like to take that thought a step further. The basic concept of public lands should be considered. If you are not using a developed facility or service, why should there be a fee to access your public lands? Of course you do most likely use roads to access those public lands, but via the fuel tax you paid haven't you covered your part of that bill already? Developed facilities- different story, a reasonable fee going into accounts with reasonable tracability, that's OK. Not trying to piss anyone off, just a thought to kick around.

Tod