Forum Index > Trip Reports > Foggy Dew leads to Mountain Duo! (Martin & Switchback)7-7-12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 pm 
You know, NW Hikers is a great thing - chocked full of all sorts of useful information! Why the lovely Yet provided some great beta for our route into Martin & Switchback, two Top 100s to knock off the list! (As Barry said, "I'm working on the Easy Bottom 50!") Yet's report from 2010 suggested the Cooney Lake route, rather than the Eagle Lake route. Yet's Martin and Switchback route via Cooney Lake 2010 Much more straightforward and a relatively easy grade (unfortunately, also easy for motor dirt bikers, too. shakehead.gif At least we didn't see/hear any this trip). AND, additional useful information from NW Hiker Ira HooDoo & Raven Ridge - July 2012 who convinced us that Raven Ridge was probably not as optimal - and besides, we didn't have any Scotch! lol.gif However, Ira, you were absolutely right about the bakery in Pateros! The SweetRiver Bakery is fabulous. We stopped on the way back (around 11:30 a.m.) for some GREAT sandwiches and cookies. up.gif up.gif Definitely a great find. Thanks. Anyway, on with the report. We didn't get out of Dodge until about 3:00 p.m. We thought we might have some takers to join along on this trip, but Snowdog and Barb were going to be recovering from an Enchantment jaunt, Carla was doing something else, Cartman was off somewhere around Frisco, Matt was at Prophet, and Jim K and Janet had day-trip plans. Darryl thought he might be able to make it, but it was too late by the time he would be able to leave . . . so off we headed, arriving at the Cooney Lake trailhead about 7:30 p.m. (We went I-90, Blewett Pass, 97 North to 153, to Gold Creek - about 8 miles to the Foggy Dew campground and then about another 5 miles to the end of the road for the TH - there is a fork in the road when you get past the campground - take the right-hand fork.) We decided to hike as far as we could in daylight - hoping that at about mile 2 or 3 we might come upon a flat area for a campsite. It's 8 miles to Cooney Lake - we knew we wouldn't get that far (and, we didn't know if we would encounter snow). So, off we started at 7:45 p.m. The trail is great - very even grade - BUT there are no flat spots along the way. You basically follow Foggy Dew up the drainage -
Foggy Dew Creek is running full
Foggy Dew Creek is running full
but the creek is a long way down from the trail. We did a few map checks and could see what appeared to be a flatish area at about 2.5 - 3 miles in. hmmm.gif Hmmm, but the route along the trail wasn't looking too promising. Finally, we came to a sign for the Foggy Dew falls (thunderous as they are!)
Yup
Yup
And, lo' and behold, in another 20', what to our wondrous eyes should appear??? An actual campsite! Good thing, too, because there wouldn't be another decent spot for almost 2.5 more miles at 6000'.
Campsite above Foggy Dew Falls
We had gone about 1500' and maybe 3 miles and it was about 9:00 p.m. so we still had daylight left to set up camp and grab some dinner. We figured with the sound of the falls, we wouldn't even hear any bears that attacked us during the night! eek.gif As luck would have it - and I'm sure it's because of Gus the Wonder-Watch-Dog, we made it through the night unscathed and ready to hit the trail for Cooney Lake.
Heading out Saturday morning
Heading out Saturday morning
We thought we might see some flowers along the way - and we did - all of the usual suspects (Columbine, Lupine, Penstemmon, Paintbrush, etc.), but we also came across and albino Shooting Star. That was interesting (my picture doesn't do it justice).
Blurry pic of white Shooting Stars
Blurry pic of white Shooting Stars
Before long, we cross Foggy Dew Creek - it was running quite full!
Crossing Foggy Dew Creek
Crossing Foggy Dew Creek
Foggy Dew Creek
Foggy Dew Creek
And at mile 5 or so, you come to a junction of three trails . . .
Intersection of three trails @ 6000'
Intersection of three trails @ 6000'
One of the routes at the intersection
One of the routes at the intersection
The old trail to Cooney
The old trail to Cooney
Intersection of trails - we would come out this way
Intersection of trails - we would come out this way
Martin Creek is probably the old way to get to Cooney Lake. You do, indeed, what the trail to the right - although it seems to be taking you in the wrong direction (too far east). However, in looking at the map, this newer trail keeps the grade moderate (for horses and mountain bikes!). We decided to make this a loop trip, and would come out via Merchant Basin. At this trail junction, however, we encountered snow rather consistently on the trail. In part because we were in the shaded forest and in part because we were on the north side. Where the forest opens, the trail was clear.
Along trail to Cooney
Along trail to Cooney
At about 6500' we seemed to get above "snow line" - well, the area was wide open and the trail was pretty much clear the rest of the way to the lake, with just patches of snow. We got to the lake by 10:00 a.m. - geez, that's usually about the time we START hiking! Nice.
Snow bridge crossing the outlet stream to Cooney
Snow bridge crossing the outlet stream to Cooney
Looking up to Martin Peak from Cooney Lake
Looking up to Martin Peak from Cooney Lake
Arriving at Cooney Lake
Arriving at Cooney Lake
Cooney Lake from north end looking south
Cooney Lake from north end looking south
The lake is almost melted out . . . and it was easy enough to find bare ground for camping. In fact, once we had camp all set up, I went wandering off to look around - we had the place to ourselves - don't know where the other folks who were parked at the trailhead might be . . . Maybe Sunrise Lake above Merchant Basin. It was a gorgeous day - not too warm, but plenty of sun. cool.gif I happened to find what I thought was a MUCH better camp site . . . so, sure enough, we packed everything over to the new spot. It WAS a better spot! agree.gif So, now that the housekeeping was accomplished, we could set about the business of climbing a few mountains! From the lake, it would be about 1200' or so to either Switchback or Martin - with a saddle between that dropped about 600' or so. We opted to do Martin first - it being the higher of the two peaks by about 50'.
Looking down on Cooney Lake from ridge to Martin
Looking down on Cooney Lake from ridge to Martin
Not much to say, but that it is a fantastic little walk with a great ridge to scramble.
On ridge to Martin (ahead)
And the views in the Chelan Sawtooths can't be beat!
From the summit of Martin
From the summit of Martin
Star to the left - Oval to the right from the summit of Martin
Star to the left - Oval to the right from the summit of Martin
Glacier from the summit of Martin
Glacier from the summit of Martin
Baker from the summit of Martin
Baker from the summit of Martin
To the west from the summit of Martin
To the west from the summit of Martin
On the summit of Martin
On the summit of Martin
Looking north from the summit of Martin - lovely little frozen tarn in the basin below
Looking north from the summit of Martin - lovely little frozen tarn in the basin below
We ate lunch here and spent about 45 minutes on the summit trying to play "Name That Peak," but sadly neither one of us are very good at it! Where's Matt when you need him? The summit register was there - placed by the HoneyBadger in 2009 - with lots of familiar names inside. The last name was from a group that had done a ski tour in May of this year and before that, it was October of 2011. Our next objective was to go grab Switchback - the route was pretty obvious, and again, we wouldn't have much snow travel.
Heading down off of Martin Peak (looking to the south/southwest
Heading down off of Martin Peak (looking to the south/southwest
Basically, you just head up the north shoulder of Switchback - swinging a little to the west to reach the summit. This is a much broader "summit than Martin, with ridges heading to the east (there's a summer trail from both Cooney Lake and Merchant Basin that converges on this ridge and heads to the summit); and another ridge off to the south - which also is passable. Views aren't much different than from Martin - still pretty awesome. We gave some thought to doing Cheops, but decided that dropping down almost 1000' and regaining it on rather loose choss wasn't particularly appealing! So, we spent a lot more time on the summit here just soaking in the afternoon sun. Might darned pleasant!
Barry on summit of Switchback
Barry on summit of Switchback
Cairn on summit of Switchback where the summit register is located (behind the pack)
Cairn on summit of Switchback where the summit register is located (behind the pack)
From the summit of Switchback
From the summit of Switchback
Looking to the south from Switchback summit
Looking to the south from Switchback summit
Summit shot on top of Swithback, looking to the north
Summit shot on top of Swithback, looking to the north
Barry checking out Merchant basin from the eastern ridge of Switchback
Barry checking out Merchant basin from the eastern ridge of Switchback
Summit shot on Switchback
Summit shot on Switchback
Give a dog a break . . . Switchback Peak.
Give a dog a break . . . Switchback Peak.
Looking North/Northeast from Switchback across Cooney Lake
Looking North/Northeast from Switchback across Cooney Lake
Deep in thought on top of Switchback 07-08-12
Deep in thought on top of Switchback 07-08-12
Looking back toward Martin Peak from Switchback (looking north)
Looking back toward Martin Peak from Switchback (looking north)
We checked out the viability of climbing up from Cooney Lake to Sawtooth Ridge - which was pretty much covered in snow - and then dropping down on the other side to Merchant Basin to do our loop trip. The south side of Sawtooth Ridge was completely snow-free so, we decided that we would give it a go tomorrow morning when we left. On our way back to camp, we decided to get a couple of glissades in - the snow was really soft, so we weren't so worried about the steepness of the slope. Very fun! Gus, of course, did his "Gus-sade!"
Looking back up at our glissade route off of Switchback Peak
Looking back up at our glissade route off of Switchback Peak
Back at camp, I decided to contemplate the theory of relativity (a little wind was kicking up now and again, and these big ol' clouds were blocking the sun from time-to-time, so it was nippy now and then) - meanwhile, Barry and Gus were doing crossword puzzles and Sodoku . . . We had noticed that we had been joined by a couple who were camped at the location we originally chose . . . and then across the meadow a bit were some other campers who looked to have some kind of pack animals. After dinner, we walked over to see just what kind of livestock they were. As we crossed the meadow, a Junco flew up from the grass . . . and Barry said that there was likely a nest there . . . sure enough . . .
Junco eggs in the field
Junco eggs in the field
four little tiny eggs! I never knew that Juncos nested on the ground. We reached our meadow neighbors and sure enough, they had four goats!
Pack goats off-duty
Pack goats off-duty
It was a local guy (Twisp) and his two kids (ages 9 and 6) who wanted to beat the heat of the valley. Apparently they take the goats on trips all of the time - each goat can carry 50 lbs! I asked if I could borrow one . . . clown.gif but they politely declined. Apparently, the goats are quite well-behaved and follow along on the trail without any problems - he had them loose and they seemed non-plussed by Gus' presence and didn't mind him sniffing (they had a dog, too). He tethers them at night. Since it was still fairly early - although the sun had dropped behind Sawtooth Ridge - we decided to go back up to the ridge to watch the sun set - it was such a pleasant evening and NO BUGS! Fabulous. So, another 800' back up to the ridge - and, of course, I left my camera back at camp! Darn. Anyway, it was a big orange sunset. There had been a fire in the Chelan area, so there was some haze. We got back to camp before dark - about 9:30 p.m. and decided to hit the hay, because Gus would be up before 6:00 a.m. for breakfast! (Turns out he wasn't the only dog up before 6:00 a.m. - both of the other camp groups had dogs that provided wake-up calls even before Gus!) We packed up and got under way, circling on the east side of Cooney Lake to take the rather steepish rib up to Sawtooth Ridge. The snow was plenty soft (but not too soft - no post-holing) to easily make it up to the ridge line.
Up the steep part of the climb to Sawtooth Ridge
Up the steep part of the climb to Sawtooth Ridge
Early morning on Cooney Lake
Early morning on Cooney Lake
On the summer trail as we head up to Sawtooth Ridge
On the summer trail as we head up to Sawtooth Ridge
Looking back to Cooney Lake as we head up to Sawtooth Ridge
Looking back to Cooney Lake as we head up to Sawtooth Ridge
Once there, we simply dropped down to the trail meandering through Merchant Basin - - - sometimes you lose the trail, but it's pretty obvious where it goes.
On the south side of Sawtooth Ridge heading into Merchant Basin
On the south side of Sawtooth Ridge heading into Merchant Basin
Merchant is simply lovely - there seems to be an "upper Merchant" and a lower Merchant.
Looking up to SAwtooth Ridge from Merchant Basin
Looking up to SAwtooth Ridge from Merchant Basin
And, nestled up above the Basin is Sunrise Lake.
Sun not quite on Sunrise Lake
Sun not quite on Sunrise Lake
In Merchant Basin - Sunrise Lake Trail isn't well-used!
In Merchant Basin - Sunrise Lake Trail isn't well-used!
It looks like the trail to Sunrise Lake doesn't get much use! At one point, we heard a lot of marmot raising a ruckus . . I thought it was because of Gus. And I saw something heading up the steep scree lope above the Basin - - - turns out, it was a coyote that the marmots were all excited about! In fact, we saw two coyotes! I made sure we kept Gus close as we made our way across the basin. Lots of these in the meadow -
Anenomes in Merchant Basin
Anenomes in Merchant Basin
The ground is pretty saturated because of all of the melting snow. The nice thing about this trail back to the junction is that it's much more open than the Martin Creek trail, so there was no snow until we got back down in the trees near the 6000' level. It's a bit steeper than the Cooney Lake trail, too. The Navarre Way trail takes off from the Merchant Basin trail, for those wanting to head that way. The rest of the trip out was a nice meander. It was getting warmer as the morning sun was getting higher in the sky and as we dropped lower in elevation. Of course, we had to stop for the obligatory Falls shot . . .
Taking pictures of Foggy Dew Falls
Taking pictures of Foggy Dew Falls
Foggy Dew Falls
Foggy Dew Falls
We actually did see some folks heading in as we were coming out - - - but I don't think they were going to go beyond the Falls - I certainly hope not, they weren't carrying any water or anything with them! Back at the car, the biting flies were feasting on us! Now we know where the bugs are. rant.gif mad.gif We made it back to the car before 11:00 a.m. and headed to Pateros for the bakery. Nice. This was one of the most pleasant hikes - we gained a decent amount of elevation - 7000' - and probably about 25 miles in distance all together. We took ice ax and spikes and didn't use either. It never got cold at night and the daytime temperatures were perfect . . . at least up above 7200'! Of course, heading back towards Wenatchee . . . .
Passing by Cashmere - temp was even 100 coming up the east side of Snoqualmie Pass
Passing by Cashmere - temp was even 100 coming up the east side of Snoqualmie Pass
stun.gif stun.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 3:11 pm 
Wow! Nice hike! cool.gif We will have to put that one on the list as a possible larch hike for this fall agree.gif (after the bugs die off....I hate biting flies and squitos!!!!)

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 4:17 pm 
That's a welcome TR. up.gif I've been wondering how the melt-off is going up there. It's one of my favorite destinations and another visit is in the works. tongue.gif I didn't have any bug problems either time (overnight freezing temps will do that). However, my bear sighting did occur on the trail near the falls, where you guys stayed. dizzy.gif
Sunrise at Sunrise (July '09)
Sunrise at Sunrise (July '09)
Merchants Basin (Sep '11)
Merchants Basin (Sep '11)

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 4:20 pm 
This trip easily goes onto my list of "best ever overnights". Somehow we both must have had karma to spare! To start off, we had smooth sailing in the Friday traffic, at least after clearing I-405 and heading east on I-90. We found the trailhead without incident (unlike a year ago trying to get to Hoodoo!). Hiking in on a new trail to an unplanned campsite, with dark approaching, is always a game of "is this good enough". Fortunately we persisted (because there was nothing close to inviting) and were rewarded with the fabulous spot above Foggy Dew Falls.
Morning light above Foggy Dew Falls
Morning light above Foggy Dew Falls
We were thrown off a bit by the trail junction at 5 miles, but decided the route that was obviously more traveled was the right one. I don't know how easy it would be to follow the old section, and I don't recall seeing where the two converged again. The hike to Cooney Lk went just fine, and we found a great campsite, or so I thought.
Climbing toward Cooney Lk.
Climbing toward Cooney Lk.
Meadow before Cooney Lk.
Meadow before Cooney Lk.
Cooney Lk. with Switchback behind
Cooney Lk. with Switchback behind
Pretty please!
Pretty please!
After getting everything set up, Suzanne informed me there was something BETTER. Thankfully it's not hard to move camp with a free-standing tent. And it was better! agree.gif
New and improved campsite
New and improved campsite
We walked up an easy open slope to gain the ridge at a bump just southwest of Martin, and then scrambled to the summit.
Climbing toward the ridge
Climbing toward the ridge
Spots of purple carpet
Spots of purple carpet
Switchback looking snowy
Switchback looking snowy
Almost to Martin Pk.
Almost to Martin Pk.
Hoodoo, Raven Ridge and Bigelow
Hoodoo, Raven Ridge and Bigelow
Switchback from Martin
Switchback from Martin
After a leisurely lunch, we easily made our way over to Switchback.
Looking down on Cooney Lk.
Looking down on Cooney Lk.
Suzanne and Gus on Switchback
Suzanne and Gus on Switchback
Looking back to Martin from Switchback
Looking back to Martin from Switchback
Sunrise Lk. from Switchback
Sunrise Lk. from Switchback
Ridge to Cheops
Ridge to Cheops
The snow provided a quick, if wet, route back to Cooney Lk.
Wheeee (a.k.a. my butt is frozen!)
Wheeee (a.k.a. my butt is frozen!)
Route up to Sawtooth Ridge
Route up to Sawtooth Ridge
Cooney Lk.
Cooney Lk.
Once back at camp, some of us busied ourselves with camp chores.
Suzanne hard at work in camp
We made a great choice to make the loop over Sawtooth Ridge and come out via Merchant Basin - what a beautiful area! It was fun to see the coyotes (if you're not a marmot).
Martin Pk. and Cooney Lk.
Martin Pk. and Cooney Lk.
Route up from Cooney Lk.
Route up from Cooney Lk.
Merchant Basin below
Merchant Basin below
Merchant Basin
Merchant Basin
Oh, and did Suzanne mention that there were almost no bugs, the weather was near perfect, the peaks were fun, and the views were spectacular? agree.gif

pithy yet insightful signature
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 5:36 pm 
It would have been a neat trick to join you guys on this trip since we weren't yet out from the Chants when you left! biggrin.gif Great report- makes me wish one could have been two places at once!
Middle E wrote:
A rare siting of SD not in motion!

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 6:11 pm 
Wow, Barry! "on your list for best overnight trips" For you, that's saying something! Nice shot of lazy SD dizzy.gif Was that after she drank all your wine? hockeygrin.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 6:32 pm 
up.gif up.gif Sawtooths !

Living in the Anthropocene
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:10 pm 
No bugs yet, huh? That must mean we're going to get a panzer strike of mozzies in a little bit. It's a fake-out.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:28 pm 
It looks like quite a bit less snow there than last year at this time. Nice trip up.gif you should go check out Sunrise Lk next time and climb Horsethief Pk above it

Eric Eames
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
It looks like quite a bit less snow there than last year at this time. Nice trip up.gif you should go check out Sunrise Lk next time and climb Horsethief Pk above it
As a day trip, right? lol.gif Ummm, Eric, remember, there are only 24 hours in MY day! winksmile.gif Monty - those bugs are thirsting for you! bug.gif And, Rob, you can't have ALL the fun! embarassedlaugh.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:20 pm 
Great pics. Waiting on the snow to melt.....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:42 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Nice up.gif

Yet

Yet
PostTue Jul 10, 2012 5:08 pm 
Beautiful! Love and miss this area. smile.gif

ira

ira
PostWed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm 
just saw this as i was searching for reports. that bakery in Pateros is sweet. heading off to do bigelow, martin and switchback. will be a long trip in 2.5 days but should be fun. will have to get out together sometime in the fall. just climbed the Grand Teton, it was a blast but the altitude was a killer.

-ira