Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments thru the back door
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 12:24 pm 
Wanting to get away from 100+ temps forecast for the Wenatchee Valley, I convinced my son Derek (rocknclimb) to join me for a weekend ascent of McClellan peak in the Enchantments. Mountain Goat learned of our plans and asked to join. Without a permit, we decided to enter from Ingalls creek, with an overnight at the basin of Crystal creek. Crystal creek drainage is unmarked, a bit less than 1/2 mile past Cascade creek. Ignoring advice that TwoDogDad had given me (thanks anyway, TDD) I somehow convinced the group that we hadn't reached Crystal creek and needed to keep heading up the Ingalls creek trail. Another 3/4 of a mile led us to another creek which I decided must be the correct route. shakehead.gif
Falls creek waterfall
Falls creek waterfall
McClellan ridge from Ingalls creek trail
McClellan ridge from Ingalls creek trail
This led to a 5 1/2 hour major bushwhack as we ascended towards what we thought would be the Crystal creek basin at 6k. At times we would lose sight of each other even though we were only feet apart. And the sound of the rushing water made communication nearly impossible. I think by the time we started to realize we were in the wong drainage it was too late for us to turn around. We finally broke thru into a sloping, wet basin at 6350' just minutes before dark.
Our way up to the unnamed basin
Our way up to the unnamed basin
Pointy peaks
Pointy peaks
Little Annapurna (right) from camp.
Little Annapurna (right) from camp.
Views from camp.  Awesome.
Views from camp. Awesome.
In the morning, we climbed to an 8000' saddle on the southern edge of the Enchantments. The views confirmed we had fought our way up the wrong drainage. We looked out at Isolation lake, and Little Annapurna on our right (was supposed to be to our left). We traversed towards McClellan, but when we reached Crystal lake decided we wouldn't have enough time to summit and make it back down the drainage before dark.
Climbing up to 8000' saddle from camp.
Climbing up to 8000' saddle from camp.
Isolation lake.  Upper Enchantments.  This view confirmed we came up the wrong basin.
Isolation lake. Upper Enchantments. This view confirmed we came up the wrong basin.
Mt. Cashmere
Mt. Cashmere
Prusik peak
Prusik peak
Crystal lake below McClellan
Crystal lake below McClellan
McClellan peak.  This is as close as we got.
McClellan peak. This is as close as we got.
Since neither Derek or I had summited Little A (Mountain Goat had previously), we settled on that as our destination (not a bad second choice, for sure). We spent over 1/2 hour sitting at the top, enjoying warm weather and great views. In reality, none of us wanted to begin our tedious bushwhack down.
Mt. Stuart
Mt. Stuart
Crystal Creek basin from Little A summit.  This was where we had planned on camping.
Crystal Creek basin from Little A summit. This was where we had planned on camping.
Derek on Little A's summit
Derek on Little A's summit
Catching some rays
Catching some rays
We made it back to our camp and began the 3 hour (felt much longer) trek down towards Ingalls creek. After that, it was only an 8-mile, foot numbing stumble back to the car. Although beaten and bruised, it was an amazing adventure. And a day playing in the Enchantment snow sure beats a day sitting in 100 degree heat in the valley. 27.7 miles 8171' total elevation gain

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm 
Wow! Great place to be, no matter what! up.gif up.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 1:16 pm 
So you exited the same way you came in? If you exited via Crystal, I'd love to know how that route is these days. I'm a little surprised you had trouble picking out Crystal Creek, it's pretty obvious from the valley floor.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
silence

silence
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 pm 
nice work even if it was the wrong drainage .. i've always wanted to go in via crystal creek .. any advice on how to nail the right one now that you've done it? .. i wonder if it would be ezier, faster and more direct to go over navaho pass??

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 6:54 pm 
What an adventure this weekend proved to be! The climb up to our campsite may have been difficult, but the views were completely worth our effort. Spent 15 hours in the mountains yesterday, and only saw one person the whole time. up.gif The 8 mile trek down Ingalls Ck completely wiped me out, but I feel good about knocking off 2 big peaks in four days.
Chant's
Chant's
Sunlight on Mclellan
Sunlight on Mclellan
Enchantments
Enchantments
Looking toward Dragontail
Looking toward Dragontail
Suart peeking through
Suart peeking through
Enchantments
Enchantments
Camp
Camp
camsite views were awsome
camsite views were awsome
Unkown basin
Unkown basin

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 pm 
The pictures confirm the amazing views looking up at the rim of the Chants. 2 big peaks? The OP only mentioned climbing Little A.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 8:28 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
The pictures conform the amazing views looking up at the rim of the Chants. 2 big peaks? The OP only mentioned climbing Little A.
Derek had climbed Mt. Stuart last Wednesday.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
ONELUV1

ONELUV1
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 8:38 pm 
Looks awesome guys! up.gif up.gif I've always wanted to try that approach for McClellan.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 pm 
Nice guys. Little Annapurna sure does have some sweet views.

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 10:57 pm 
Too bad you missed McClellan but you may have pioneered a beautiful, if brushy, route smile.gif tdd