Forum Index > Gear Talk > help me choose a convertible hiking pant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostMon Jun 18, 2012 10:00 pm 
i used to always wear convertibles. but then, rei changed the way they made the sahara's (the cheapo ones), and they started falling apart after ~10 uses. i've since made do with various forms of other pants/shorts combos, but i truly think the convertibles are the best pant for my style of hiking. any recommendations out of the following? or another one not listed? ignore the sizes listed in the links since i normally wear a 30" waist (or size S) with 32" inseam. durability and breathability are paramount in my book. i don't need the kind that claim to be bug resistant. thanks! prAna columbia rei endeavor mountain hardware

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostMon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 pm 
I must have bought the sahara before the "change", because mine have survived serious abuse for the past 5 years. I second TNF Paramount. Slightly heavier, better belt, better DWR (so far), and a bit more supple feel. They have them on SAC every now and again up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jun 18, 2012 11:00 pm 
Ex-officio Just cause it's not on your list. clown.gif

trestle

trestle
PostTue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 am 
The new Kuhl convertibles have been given great reviews and I had high hopes but were very disappointing in person. The cut is awful, leaving huge amounts of excess material in the crotch and thigh area, an area I don't normally struggle to fill. The REI Endeavors look great, feel great, but have those short 9" legs when zipped off. shakehead.gif Still waiting and scouring the web for the perfect pair. Don't know why so many on the market are so dorky and oriented towards overweight, camera-wielding tourists; should be a sizeable market for a true backpacking convertible pant.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 am 
johnson37 wrote:
Don't know why so many on the market are so dorky and oriented towards overweight, camera-wielding tourists; should be a sizeable market for a true backpacking convertible pant.
Because in the grand scheme of things, the overweight, camera-wielding tourists are their volume customers lol.gif Hardcore NWhiker types are not volume business...

Lono

Lono
PostTue Jun 19, 2012 8:07 am 
I have a couple pair of 7 year old Mountain Hardwear convertibles that wear like iron - and bought a couple other pair of less expensive MH that almost immediately began to fray at the cuffs and the snaps stopped snapping after one wet hike. Every manufacturer seemed to cut back on quality in the mid 2000s. On the good side, we routinely send new Scouts to buy a pair of REI Sahara's because they're cheap, and the quality issues seem to have improved the past couple years. REI (and others) actually do that sometimes, when the almighty dollar allows.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 19, 2012 10:25 am 
johnson37 wrote:
Kuhl convertibles
cotton blend? confused.gif Loving my REI Endeavors, DIY modded with cuff windows to fit my AT boots.

Tvashtar
Tvashtalker

Tvashtar
Tvashtalker
PostTue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm 
Ex Officio has the most comfy and breathable microfibre fabric out there. Don't know if they make a convertible...I don't use them. I like the ass end of my evening wear sweat free.

"We are, all of us, in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 pm 
I blew through a pair of those Columbia pants pretty quick. They were light and comfortable, but didn't hold up to much of the bushwacking that I tend to do.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostTue Jun 19, 2012 6:16 pm 
I have a pair of North Face convertibles that survive anything. I'm pretty amazed at how well they hold up. I don't think there's anything that can stop them. I've had a crampon and ice axe go through my gaiters in a blizzard but my pants underneath were fine. I also got a rope stuck over my leg while belaying and I could feel it burning, but the pants didn't melt. As far as comfort they're okay - not great but definitely not bad. I know what you mean about the Saharas. I bought some REI Sahara pants maybe 3-4 years ago. The first night wearing them a small ember from a campfire drifted down and melted a hole in them. A couple uses later, I got back to the parking lot and couldn't undo the side cargo pocket zipper to get my car keys out. After trying for 15 minutes I finally just cut the stupid thing open. In four years I maybe wore them 10 times. Two weeks ago the leg zipper completely ripped off in the washing machine. I returned them to REI and got a lot of crap about trying to return something that's falling apart "because it's old." They didn't want to admit that the pants sucked and tried to make me feel guilty for returning them. I told the girl that if she could open up the side zipper I would keep them. They obviously took the pants back, but I was a bit annoyed. I don't think I'm buying REI clothing again.

jman58

jman58
PostTue Jun 19, 2012 9:56 pm 
I have had a pair of 100% Nylon North face convertibles that have held out spectacularly over the last 6 years with pretty heavy use. I just purchased some MH with My REI dividend & coupon because they had a longer inseam on the short. They turned out to be incredibly comfortable, we will see how well they hold up over the next season or two. I now alternate between the two although the material on the TNF seems a lot more robust.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jun 20, 2012 8:59 am 
I went through 2 pairs of North Face Paramount convertibles in a couple of years - the stitching was not great. So then I tried a pair of Millet pants from Backcountry and used them for a year but the European fit was uncomfortable, particularly at the leg zipper. I went back and tried on all the ones on your list & they didn't seem very rugged. The REI pants don't have any fabric over the zippers on the inside of the legs so I could tell they would chafe when I tried them on. I'm back to the newest version of the North Face pants and they're much better made than the ones they sold a couple of years ago.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 20, 2012 11:00 am 
I bought a pair of the REI Saharas, based on me liking the Sahara shirts, and I returned them immediately. It took me about 45 seconds to realize I hated them. Too baggy in the legs, I mean MC Hammer baggy, and cheap zippers. I love the REI Endeavors, but I only have the shorts, not the pants. Great material, durable, stretchy, water repellent, breathable.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 20, 2012 12:21 pm 
KillerCharlie wrote:
I bought some REI Sahara pants maybe 3-4 years ago. The first night wearing them a small ember from a campfire drifted down and melted a hole in them. A couple uses later, I got back to the parking lot and couldn't undo the side cargo pocket zipper to get my car keys out. After trying for 15 minutes I finally just cut the stupid thing open. In four years I maybe wore them 10 times. Two weeks ago the leg zipper completely ripped off in the washing machine. I returned them to REI and got a lot of crap about trying to return something that's falling apart "because it's old." They didn't want to admit that the pants sucked and tried to make me feel guilty for returning them. I told the girl that if she could open up the side zipper I would keep them. They obviously took the pants back, but I was a bit annoyed. I don't think I'm buying REI clothing again.
Hmm, maybe you could look at it from their perspective? You burned a hole in the pants, your problem 100%. You used them, or at least kept them, for 3-4 years. Now that they are burned, cut open by you (though not your fault the zipper stuck), and another zipper pulled off (bad zipper, not bad owner), you want your money back. And they did in fact return your money, they just had some questions. Maybe you should have returned the pants sooner? hmmm.gif And now, after they did the right thing under very dubious (to them) circumstances, you say you are taking your business elsewhere! Very few places will take back 3-4 year old items with some user damage on top of any defect. Let me just add that I am not saying you abused the return policy. From your story the pants were defective in at least two ways, and you never got your intended use out of them. The return was completely justified. I'm simply pointing out that it might have been a more simple and fast return experience if you had taken them back right after the cargo pocket zipper stuck so bad you had to slice open the pants. Your story makes me more likely to shop at REI, since even under such circumstances (the time lapse and the user damage) they did return your money. And really, what is your complaint? The return experience wasn't as pleasant as it might have been. The length of time you kept the bad pants was your mistake, same as the hole that got burned in them.

gray matter

gray matter
PostWed Jun 20, 2012 8:26 pm 
Here's another vote for the REI Endeavors. They are comfortable for me and work well in my layering system. I also really appreciate the fact that I can convert from pants to shorts without having to sit down or take off my boots or crampons. I have two pairs that have held up well so far, and much better than my old Saharas.