Forum Index > Trip Reports > airplane peak, mt saul - 2012-07-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 12:37 am 
after tackling the mighty jim hill the day before, hotpantz and i headed out to the indian creek/white river trailhead. well, first we stopped at the 59er for some shakes. bonus points to the guy working the register that complimented my legs: "man, do you workout? you're legs are so huge!" fun times. we arrived at the trailhead around 8:30pm. most of the campsites along the road were full, so we camped at the car. well, just away from the car. it felt like cheating. here, in a beautiful spot, with only a handful of cars, no people, no bugs, perfect temps. and then, trying to place how something like that is even possible in a world with BILLIONS of people. amazing. WA rocks. a leisurely start of 830 had us heading out on the beautiful indian creek trail. many memories were jogged for me as this was the location of my first ever backpack trip back in 2005. the white river area was also the site of some therapeutic rehab while i was recovering from a broken hip. for those considering between the white river trail or indian creek trail to get up towards the PCT - take the indian creek trail. it's so pleasant.
fine place for a morning stroll
fine place for a morning stroll
reflecting on the raging white river
reflecting on the raging white river
photosynthesis
photosynthesis
typical scene in the indian creek / white river areas
typical scene in the indian creek / white river areas
we crossed the creek coming off mt. david. felt cold at this time of day; later, after rising ~18", it would feel wonderful.
fording the creek off of mt david
fording the creek off of mt david
vortex
vortex
then, the stretch of trail between here and the indian creek bridge had quite a few skeeters. we thought we'd be in for a long day if they continued, but fortunately, after crossing indian creek, the breeze picked up just enough to keep them moving along without bothering us.
unreal color
unreal color
tree hugging
tree hugging
indian "creek"
indian "creek"
open fields
open fields
playing in the grass
playing in the grass
soft hairs
soft hairs
i did little research prior to this trip. figured the trail up to airplane lake would be easy enough to spot. stefan mentioned, in 2003, that it was right across from a fire ring. well, it kind of was. actually, it's about 50ft before you see a couple of campsites on the S side of the trail near the 4.5 mile mark.
where to leave the indian creek trail
where to leave the indian creek trail
hotpantz and i went our separate ways: me to get my body cut up from the brush, and she to take some time to write a wedding speech (maid of honor duties) and soak her hips while enjoying the sun. i was on the fisherman's trail for about 2 minutes. then, downed logs obliterated everything. i fought through this stuff, but didn't re-gain the trail for another 500 vertical feet or so. i was too far left, near the creek coming out of airplane lake. your goal should be to go straight uphill at the downed logs, then pay attention to the right. regardless, after soaking my shirt through with sweat, i was rewarded with a very nice view of a waterfall.
airplane lake creek
airplane lake creek
eventually, brush forced me to the right where i found the trail. i was able to follow it to ~5000' before snow covered it. i then traversed left and slightly up to gain the outlet, avoiding rock bands to the right.
umm, let's go right
umm, let's go right
saul as seen from the outlet of airplane lake
saul as seen from the outlet of airplane lake
airplane lake and saul
airplane lake and saul
fishy
fishy
several paths appeared to airplane peak. i went left of the summit to allow me to drop my pack on the ridge. several false summits and a little scrambling gets you to the top. no register, but still some wire and wood scraps up there.
view from airplane peak
view from airplane peak
trail going up to boulder pass
trail going up to boulder pass
at saddle, saul on L, YES! peak center, clark on right
at saddle, saul on L, YES! peak center, clark on right
YES! peak
YES! peak
tenpeak and thunder basin
tenpeak and thunder basin
david and poets
david and poets
kololo and YES! peak
kololo and YES! peak
saul
saul
if you've ever wondered why the white river trail sucks so badly after boulder creek trail, here's why:
white river valley
white river valley
i followed the ridge from airplane peak towards saul. at times, you need to take some ramps on your L. alternatively, it appeared one could drop to the R via snow slopes, but you'd lose more elevation. after the saddle, it was 98% snow to the summit.
airplane lake
airplane lake
ridge heading towards saul
ridge heading towards saul
luahna and clark
luahna and clark
ridge to summit of saul
ridge to summit of saul
summit rocks
summit rocks
a mountaineers register, placed in 1984, awaited my inspection. lots of familiar names in there.
what will i see?
what will i see?
been here awhile
been here awhile
views were great. one of my favorite areas on the planet.
indian creek through white river
indian creek through white river
indian head
indian head
kololo, glacier gap, and YES! peak
kololo, glacier gap, and YES! peak
heading down, i decided to take a series of connecting snowfields down to the lake instead of retracing my steps on the ridge. i had doubts if it would work since i could never fully see the route from any one vantage point. all i saw were rock walls, waterfalls, and discontinuities.
route down to the lake, airplane peak above
route down to the lake, airplane peak above
sun cups forming
sun cups forming
my route down
my route down
it worked fine enough, though there's lots of running water underfoot in places. i was happy to make it back to the outlet without punching through a snow bridge. retraced my steps back to the trail. it was easier to follow going down, especially after i cleared it of all branches within reason. i never saw the paint marks or flagging mentioned in a previous TR, so i'm not sure what's up with that.
shades of paint
shades of paint
nearing the bottom, the trail petered out. i checked my altimeter and it told me only 100' vert to go. i laughed. no sweat i thought. didn't matter what was in front of me. then i looked up.
only 100' to go, eh?
only 100' to go, eh?
okay, where's that trail go again? i found it (skier's left) and stayed on it to where i started the day. down a little blood, but jacked with endorphins.
a few battle scars
a few battle scars
cruised the trail back to the TH in about an hour to find hotpantz enjoying a book in the sun while sitting next to a raging white river.
what it feels like for your feet
what it feels like for your feet
puffballs
puffballs
raging torrent
raging torrent
a great day to be out!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 8:48 am 
up.gif Very nice back there in the fall also. I was looking at Jim Hill from Signal a few weeks ago, and thought maybe now would be a good time to do it, but maybe not looking at your TR from there.

Living in the Anthropocene
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 am 
iron wrote:
fishy
fishy
Some trip up.gif . Guess I went to the wrong lake fishing. I have penciled in a late summer trip. The time I went there it was still iced over also.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 9:39 am 
Great area to visit. Thanks for reminding me of my trip up. I really liked the views from Saul. The lake is pretty too in the fall.

Nietzsche's Horse
Equine Philosopher

Nietzsche's Horse
Equine Philosopher
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 am 
iron wrote:
bonus points to the guy working the register that complimented my legs: "man, do you workout? you're legs are so huge!" fun times.
Two questions: 1.) Did Hotpantz flash her wedding band in response, and give him a look which said, in no uncertain terms, "Hand's Off...He's Mine!"? 2.) Does a blushing "Iron" turn to rust in the face of such flattery?

"Trails are like that: you're floating along in a Shakespearean Arden paradise and expect to see nymphs and fluteboys, then suddenly you're struggling in a hot broiling sun of hell in dust and nettles and poison oak... just like life." - Kerouac
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 6:09 pm 
Had no idea those peaks had such great views. Definitely looks like a good trip, thanks for the report

Eric Eames
klar

klar
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 8:09 pm 
sweet spot! best sign ever .....

I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat. Edgar Allan Poe
b00

b00
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 pm 
did you see fast feet and my names in the register. i love those john gilbert lists of bearings, i've seen them on a few peaks. :>) ps - nice legs, good blood shot :>)

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 pm 
yes, would have been nice to see that sign. guess i didn't go far enough on the indian creek trail. wood: i saw many names, yours included. you're da man.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 am 
iron wrote:
all i saw were rock walls, waterfalls, and discontinuities.
My new favorite word! discontinuities- perfect! We had similar issues locating and staying on the 'path'(I use that term loosely) up to airplane lake. We had same beta about downed logs too. There are LOTS of downed logs in da woods! Even Isabel had trouble finding the trail- agree.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
silence

silence
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 am 
sweet trip and climb ..

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 am 
Love that place! up.gif Indian Creek is way to go. Iron, did you see any names in the register (besides Jonathan Pryce and Anita and me) who did the Indian Head HR? It's a very cool route and deserves of more attention. If anyone is interested, PM me for details (and be prepared for a couple hours of exposed 3rd class scrambling).
klar wrote:
There's a good reason for that sign. When we did the Indian Head HR a few years ago, somebody (likely an angler) had spray painted orange blobs on hundreds of trees along the route. Disgusting.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 5:55 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
klar wrote:
There's a good reason for that sign. When we did the Indian Head HR a few years ago, somebody (likely an angler) had spray painted orange blobs on hundreds of trees along the route. Disgusting.
Actually, once you spot this sign the boot path is rather easy to follow. Just follow all the scrape marks on trees and rocks where the FS tried to remove the spray paint.