Forum Index > Trip Reports > Toleak- Goodman Creek, July 4- 10, 2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 3:10 pm 
Walked out to Toleak, and went south to Goodman and Mosquito Creeks. I've made several trips to these beaches this year, but still haven't quite cracked the enigma of Goodman. (hint: take river walking shoes to swamp-whack your way in to the estuary) The weather was perfect as I rounded Strawberry Point into the Toleak.
Strawberry Point Toleak was fairly crowded, compared to previous trips.
Toleak Walkers I met Pablo, the barefoot ranger, immediately after arriving. Pablo was kicking asses and taking names. Here's a picture taken right after his return from an overnight lightning raid on Mosquito Creek:
Pablo, the barefoot enforcer Pablo's the coolest ranger on the coast, except for maybe that crazy guy at Rialto. But watch your step, and be discreet with the contraband. Dude's got a cop radio on his lapel, and will not hesitate to call in air strikes on non-compliant, criminal violators.
Ranger Pablo; The Thin Green Line
Sunset at Toleak
Beach Bandit The next morning I walked to the south end of the beach.
Toleak South End
Toleak South
Toleak from headland trail
Toleak South Tower
South Tower 2 Fall Creek was full of wild razzleberries. Unbelievably sweet and delicious berries...
Falls The beach is lovely south of Goodman.
Goodman Creek The north end of the beach is accessible by tunnel up to about a 5 foot tide. Otherwise it's a very steep climb...
Goodman Creek 2
Goodman Tower The river mouth can be accessed by a very steep trail onto the headland from the south side. There was an astonishing amount of bear scat on this hill.
Goodman Creek Estuary I camped a few days at the island near the Goodman end of the beach.
The Big Island
Island Creek
Fire!
Floatsam1
Floatsam2
Big Plastic Box
Mud Flats to Mosquito
Johnson Creek at Toleak
Toleak Mushroom Overdose
Toleak Redux
More Toleak!
Giants Graveyard from Toleak It was an epic, leisurely, 6 day, 15 mile trip. Big fires. No bugs. The trail down to Scotts Bluff is getting a little overgrown, but still reasonably easy to follow. Take sunscreen and bug dope- the mosquitos will be waking up soon...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 pm 
great collection of pix .. all the rangers out there are nice .. and a bit crazy too wink.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 7:25 pm 
6 days out there!....I feel your (un)-pain. cool.gif My blood pressure would drop off the bottom of the chart, heartbeats cycle with the waves and I would have the most meaningful conversations in the world with myself. peace.gif Your photos are like looking at a family album.....I'm a repeat offender myself with that location too. I usually try to fit (only) a 3-day trip in there just before school commitments begin in late August. This year will be no different. Thanks for the TR. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)