Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > I Need Help Deciding which Website Name I should Go with
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Which Name should I choose?
Joshklewis.com
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
IntenseAdventure.com
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Joshlewis.us
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Something Different
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 23

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 1:36 am 
Currently I have a personal website where I put much of my trip reports and such. But I admit I am debating between two names. Currently I own both domains (url's): http://www.joshklewis.com http://www.intenseadventure.com The problem with the first url is that it has my middle initial which can make it hard for people to remember. But then again people remember JFK very well. wink.gif Joshlewis.com was taken a long time ago. rolleyes.gif The problem with IntenseAdventure is that it is 5 characters longer than the other one. And it has no hinting for my real name. But it matches my youtube profile. Plus it sounds cool. cool.gif Another option is for me to snag the url joshlewis.us (Yes, most of my modern photography is not posted on my site yet. It's still a work in progress.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 6:28 am 
I'd go with the Joshlewis.us domain. "intenseadventures" really sounds like you're trying too hard.

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 6:38 am 
kindofgoodhikeswithjosh.com

rhughes
Painter

rhughes
Painter
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 am 
When I started my website years ago royhughes.com was taken so I went with www.royehughes.com. People seem be be able to remember that OK. Besides, a Google search for "roy hughes" will return a Roy E. Hughes for my royehughes.com website. A suggestion: If you go with joshklewis.com, in your header make your main heading a large "Josh K. Lewis" and below that in smaller type put "www.joshklewis.com". That way the K in your name will stand out and people should associate it with the k in the joshklewis web address and thus remember it easier. That may also eliminate the possibility that they think the website is Josh Klewis.com. Unfortunately many people have been conditioned to automatically figure that a website name ends in .com when some end in .us or .net. When I had an email address at verizon.net a number of people misaddressed mail to me at verizon.com. For that reason I would shy away from the .us extension.

rhughes Painter Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park RoyEHughes.com
Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 1:06 pm 
http://www.whoisentry.com/domain/joshlewis.com expires 2017.... could always change your name heh

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 2:59 pm 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
I'd go with the Joshlewis.us domain. "intenseadventures" really sounds like you're trying too hard.
Thanks for your suggestion. cool.gif Still tempting... As mentioned below some people are not familiar with the .us extension. But it is however very simple which is why I am still tempted to use it. As for intenseadventure, it's unique which is why I like it.
rhughes wrote:
A suggestion: If you go with joshklewis.com, in your header make your main heading a large "Josh K. Lewis" and below that in smaller type put "www.joshklewis.com"...
Thanks for the valuable suggestion, if I go with Joshklewis.com I will certainly put that into consideration (as in most likely try that idea).
Doppelganger wrote:
joshklewis should be fine, people will probably have trouble remembering if intenseadventures was singular or plural and end up on the wrong site. And it does sound a little strained. Might change your youtube profile to joshklewis too, just to bring it all together.
If I did go with Intenseadventure.com, the site title would actually be "Intense Adventure" with a space. The url is what is at stake. One of my other sites Alpine Ascent has a space in the name which the name space was influenced by Mountain Project. As for the youtube deal, joshklewis was taken 6 years ago by someone else. I admit I am a little bit influenced by what Epic Meal Time did (epicmealtime.com). I plan on getting more into making videos for my hiking trips. Another reason I like the name "Intense Adventure" is because Josh Lewis is very taken up on google. As a result my Joshklewis site ends up on page 2 which I've even used things like webmaster tools and such. Search engines seem to like simplicity which the "K" complicates the name. If I added the "K" to the actual site title it might make me loose even more rank in google with "Josh Lewis". This is why Joshlewis.us is very tempting because I could eliminate this factor. For those folks who think I should have a different name than what has been mentioned, please send me a PM with a name that you think would work. All replies are very much appreciated. But please more feedback would be very much appreciated! A big reason this is so important to me is because my job will revolve around websites (in a few years I'll be a professional web site maker).

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 6:23 am 
Honestly, I never liked the "joshklewis.com" address. Too difficult to remember the middle initial. doh.gif I like the thought of "Intense Adventures" and I can really picture that moniker with you. lol.gif I guess it is a matter of what you want to accomplish with the website... -> If you are doing this as a site mainly for you to log your accomplishments, log your goals, and/or feed you ego... then go with websites that have references to your name. -> If you are doing this as a site mainly for other people to obtain outdoor adventure information, and/or as a semi-business perspective such as assembling potential climbing parties and trips... then go with the "Intense Adventures" (or similar) references. I believe I found a happy middle-ground for you... www.adventureofalifetime.com is available. hockeygrin.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 8:47 am 
From a marketing standpoint, you want something that will really attract traffic to your website. Unfortunately, hotbikinibabes.com is already taken. Of the two you mentioned, I like "intenseadventures.com" the best. It sounds like a show on the Discovery Channel. People really go for that crap nowadays. You might also consider changing your name. "Josh Lewis" sounds too much like a kid who rides his bike to the mountains and duct-tapes his feet. Your new image demands a moniker that people will remember, one that conjures up images of intense adventure in the rugged wilderness. Wild animal names like "Bear" and "Cougar" are ideal, although "Bear is already taken and "Cougar" will just get you a lot of disturbing email. You want a name that drives fear into the hearts of hikers everywhere, a name that makes women faint and men drop their trekking poles and run for their cars. That name is Aggressive Goat Lewis. I'll say it again. Aggressive Goat Lewis! Is that a testosterone taco or WHAT? "World famous thrill-seeker and adrenaline junkie, Aggressive Goat Lewis, became the 6,538th person to summit Mt. Everest since the mountain opened in 1921." "Hikers were chased off of Mt. Ellinor by an aggressive goat today. Aggressive Goat Lewis was unavailable for comment." "Aggressive Goat in the area. Keep your distance and don't pee." It's free publicity! Now don't rush out and put in the paperwork just yet. Mull it over a bit. Sleep on it. But don't wait too long before you make the change. Some other brash young adventurer is bound to snatch "Aggressive Goat" right up, and then you'll be stuck with something less fearsome, like "Rabid Marmot Lewis," or "Plague-Infested Tick Lewis."

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 12:46 pm 
Ok so I think I pretty much decided what domain name/ site name I'm going with. So the Winner is "Alpinejosh.com" which I spoke with multiple people in private about the name. For a .com it has the least amount of characters, has my first name, it's unique, and describes what I like to do. So if I were to give a score for the names I would put it out like this: Alpinejosh.com 99% Intenseadventure.com 80% Joshlewis.us 65% Joshklewis.com 50% I currently own most of these domains (except for joshlewis.us) which for the time being I can always swap back the site name (until the domains expire). So if anyone does not like the name "Alpinejosh" speak up now! cool.gif Within a year the name I choose will pretty much be permanent. @ Redwic: According to what you mentioned sounds like IntenseAdventure is the best option of the ones I publicly mentioned. I did not publicly mentioned Alpinejosh in fears that someone here would snag it from under me. hmmm.gif @ The Angry Hiker: Having a new name would be pretty fun! biggrin.gif If Nicholas Cage can change his name, why not? But rather than trying to figure out a name for myself, I should go for a new identity. If you want, you can call me AJ. Anyways, I very much appreciate the replies. If anyone has a better idea or is opposed to Alpinejosh, please reply.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 1:21 pm 
Isn't there an Alpine Andy? I hope he doesn't sue. Unless there's already an Subalpine Sue.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 1:28 pm 
I ain't afraid of Alpine Andy. clown.gif (no offense Andy) People can't own all the names of a word. Your post reminds me of a buddy of mine that mentioned my other site "Alpine Ascent" and was worried that it sounded too similar to the company "Alpine Ascents". But as long as my AA site is non profit, I feel as though I'm in the safety zone. Plus you can't boss people around like that trying to claim 50 other names that sound similar without actually claiming them. (for non business reasons) And besides, I'm the worst guy to sue because I have hardly any money. (It would take a long time to get them what they want) hmmm.gif

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 pm 
Well, if you don't want "Aggressive Goat," then I'm using it.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 6:28 pm 
Can I have "Plague Infested Tick?"

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 2:27 pm 
If that works for you, then go ahead. cool.gif

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 5:23 pm 
So now we have the youtube issue left. Should I go with "Alpine Josh" or Intense Adventure"? It's fun to say "Intense Adventure Presents" kinda like an organization... but then it would be nice to have the name I'm using for my website. Any suggestions are welcomed!