Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Spickard Rahm Custer loop 7/28-7/29
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 8:34 pm 
Mt. Spickard 8979' Mt. Rahm 8480' Mt. Custer 8630' With a good forecast for the North Cascades, I went to a place I've never been to before. I had a trip planned in the Chilliwacks a week before but there weather said otherwise. On Friday evening, I left for Canada to go the Lk Chilliwack area to get to the Depot Cr rd. Like many reports before, that road has a bunch of pot holes! I can't see how a car can do it. There were two other vehicles at the "parking area" before the high clearance road kept going. I woke early Saturday morning and hiked the remaining road towards the border. It was easy and straight forward. I soon made my way back into Washington on the Depot Cr trail. It was an old growth forest trail that was easy to follow despite the occasional down tree.
Depot Creek
Depot Creek
The trail meandered along until Depot Falls, It was a rushing torrent! Good thing there were hand lines along this part. The rock slabs were as slippery as I've seen. After the falls, the trail gains almost 1000' in the next mile.
Depot Creek Falls
Depot Creek Falls
After the gain, things leveled out and the trail enters a sub alpine area. The clouds were low but the glaciers of Mt. Redoubt sank beneath them to give it a mysterious feel.
small streams and greenery
small streams and greenery
the fog clearing as the glaciers descend from the mountains
the fog clearing as the glaciers descend from the mountains
I boulder hopped along the North side of the creek for a while and found my way to Ouzel Lake. It took me 4 hrs to reach camp, so I still had plenty of time left in the day. I talked to 2 others who were camped near by and they gave me good info on some route conditions. My original plan was to set camp and climb Spickard after, but since I got there so early, I thought I would try and add Rahm and Custer to the day. After setting camp, I headed up towards the pass above Silver Lk. A few hundred feet before the pass, I went right towards the low point between Spickard and Solitude. It's the South route for the climb. I weaved around snow and rock and made it to the summit with spectacular views in all directions. Mt Spickard has to have one of the best summit views in the Cascades.
the Moxes
the Moxes
Redoubt
Redoubt
Hard Mox
Hard Mox
the Pickets above the ridge East of SE Mox
the Pickets above the ridge East of SE Mox
With the new beta on the Silver glacier route, I went down the rocky ridge for a couple hundred feet and accessed the glacier below the shrund. I slowly went down as there were icy areas and exposed crevasses. I aimed for Silver Lake which was a glowing blue color. From there, I would take the North side of the lake and traverse East towards Mt Rahm. I went for the easiest terrain I could find while aiming for some snow above to make travel easier.
Devil's Tongue above Silver Lake
Devil's Tongue above Silver Lake
Mt Rahm above a few flowers
Mt Rahm above a few flowers
I felt like I was going slow at this point but I felt like I had to do this as a loop to make this an efficient trip. High up on the snow slopes, I saw a group of about 10 mountain goats with a couple of babies. They went the other direction as soon as they saw me. The scree and talus were annoying but I made it to the summit of Rahm with extraordinary views of Spickard and Silver Lake. There are no words to describe the views from there.
Mt Spickard above Silver Lake
Mt Spickard above Silver Lake
I didn't stay too long as I would now try to run the ridge over to Custer. It looks very intimidating but I've heard it goes. A lot of ups and downs on loose crumbly rock high above the cliffs to the South and the Massilpanik glacier to the North. About midway, I took a break to admire the surroundings. I gotta enjoy this scenery while I'm in it!
a little flower garden on the ridge
a little flower garden on the ridge
a look at Custer
a look at Custer
The whole way over there, I didn't know how I was going to go past the last steep section of loose rock. The good thing is, the closer you get, the easier things look. I went right on the last 4th class part of the ridge as I seemed to look down directly to the Custer glacier. I might have been able to go left but a bunch of goats just went that way and they didn't seem too happy I was in their area. I reached the rotten pile of choss known as Mt. Custer to hazy views. I'll say this wasn't my favorite peak. It definitely feels like this mountain is crumbling apart.
my Custer summit shot
my Custer summit shot
From Custer, I would descend down the standard route (SW) and try to find the best way back to Silver Pass. I ran into the goats again and they still didn't like me being there. I found my way back to the pass and had many good boot glissades down towards the lake. I couldn't wait to get to camp and have a big dinner. It was a 13 hour day, so I was ready for a big break. I ate and enjoyed the amazing camp I was at.
the Moxes
the Moxes
camp in the cirque
camp in the cirque
clouds forming before sunset
clouds forming before sunset
This was one of the best places I've visited! The tall mountains, glaciers hanging above cliffs, aqua blue lakes and many great views. I can't wait to go back. By doing the 3 peaks on the first day, it made for an easy day out. I woke early and was back at my truck by 9:30am. 25.5 miles (16.75 on day 1) 9500' elevation gain (9300' on day 1)

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 pm 
Wow!!! eek.gif Look at that gorgeous scenery. What a fantastic trip!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 9:05 pm 
One of my favorite areas in the range! Nice work on the trifecta on approach day.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 9:13 pm 
You guys are awesome!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 9:30 pm 
Excellent photos - especially Silver Lake and Spickard seen from Rahm. After reading this, I reluctantly admit it took me three days in just to climb Easy Mox.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 9:53 pm 
Outstanding! up.gif

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 pm 
Yowza, good day on ya! Nice pics too, thanks for the TR. I've never been in there and have to add it to my list. I think I'll take a few days to enjoy the views winksmile.gif

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 pm 
I thought you did that loop in 3 days (which would be more than reasonable); then I re-read the TR. You actually did it in one day (driving time excluded). And you even had time to take some excellent photos--and ponder the inscrutable moods of mountain goats. Unbelievable up.gif up.gif tdd

iron

iron
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 pm 
good stuff. glad you snuck these into the weather window. you're closing in on 100 fast! 9300' on the first day? probably still had another 5k in you... dizzy.gif

b00

b00
PostSun Jul 29, 2012 11:33 pm 
iron wrote:
good stuff. glad you snuck these into the weather window. you're closing in on 100 fast! 9300' on the first day? probably still had another 5k in you... dizzy.gif
only 5k more? what was the word about conditions on spickard and redoubt? were you able to avoid the brush on the way to ouzel lake? :>)

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 30, 2012 1:09 am 
eek.gif What was that blur when I blinked? r3h of course.

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostMon Jul 30, 2012 6:21 am 
Boo, 2 years ago we found a valley-size rockslide had covered 95 percent of the brush to Ouzel lake.

silence

silence
PostMon Jul 30, 2012 8:22 am 
You blow me away Eric .. way to go!!!!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
mike

mike
PostMon Jul 30, 2012 9:44 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
on the Depot Cr trail... It was easy and straight forward...Good thing there were hand lines along this part.
Where was that trail when we went up there?? Instead of 10' deep slide alder. Hasn't been that long..or has it?

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jul 30, 2012 12:36 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
I felt like I was going slow at this point...
This quote does not compute!!! Glad you had a great time!

Art is an adventure.