Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rainier Waterfall
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 11:56 am 
I was driving along the Eastside Road (123) in MRNP this week and noticed a large waterfall I'd never seen before. Look left just as you exit the tunnel near Deer Creek (heading north) and there's a huge waterfall on the other side of the valley. It looks like there's a bridge across it, but it could have been a fallen log. I looked on the map and there's no labeled waterfall there. There is a steep elevation change on the Chinook River (or was it the Ohanapecosh?) there, but it's not even labeled with a generic "Falls" on either my gazetteer or Green Trails. The Eastside Trail parallels the river, so maybe there's a side trail to it that's not on the map, and maybe a viewpoint bridge? I'd think a fall this large would at least have a name! Anyone (Sore Feet?) know what fall this would be? I don't have a photo. frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Otter

Otter
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 12:28 pm 
I'm looking at my Rainier N.P. national geographic trails illustrated topo map. I know there is a beutiful falls just north of deer camp.. but it is a small one that drops into a pool...I have a picture of it somewhere. I see that one on this map. I also see two other falls marked on this map. One is further North of Deer camp along chinook creek...it is only one slash mark though. Also to the west along Kotsuck Creek (and there is a trail along it) There is another falls...again only one slash. Further west at the headwaters of Needle creek there is a two slash falls marked...no path though. I have been to this area a few times and have never noticed a big falls. I wonder if there was a slide and some major change in a creek? Very interesting.... do post if you find anything more out. I for one have never been to comet falls yet in vantrump park and can't wait till the trail is completely clear of snow to go see it! Happy exploring!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 12:49 pm 
I only have the MRNP travel map with me at work, so I don't have much to work with right now. The waterfall was on Chinook Creek between Dewey Creek and the 123 crossing. If you look at the Deer Creek tunnel (on 123 between Dewey Creek and Deer Creek) and do a right angle from the road, that's it. The compass reading I took from a pullout on 123 was NNW, ~340 degrees. The Eastside Trail goes right by there, so I'm thinking there might be a side trail to it. I've never hiked that part of the trail before. This was a huge waterfall. I'm really suprised it's not labeled anywhere. And I'm really curious if that was a bridge or a log across it. I've never been to Comet either, despite being a waterfall nut. I'm not sure what the snow level is like right now, but the trailhead was packed on Thursday. I didn't see anyone with snowshoes either. I wonder how well it has recovered from the lahar last year. Christine Falls has pretty much recovered completely, other than some missing moss on the rocks at the base.

Otter

Otter
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 2:11 pm 
Sounds like there is some exploring to be done out there! If you think you will be down here again during the weekdays and want some trail company, let me know. I wouldn't mind taking a look at all those falls. I have the annual pass to the park... and it is so close to home (Tacoma) that I tend to spend lots of time up that way.

Roxann

Roxann
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 7:17 pm 
Comet Falls
Here I go off the subject.............I saw Comet Falls last year about two weeks before the Lahar. It is wonderful. I would like to make it up to Van Trump Park. We did not make it because my hiking partner was to tired. Soooooooo.........Otter lets set a date in September and go.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 8:05 pm 
Yup. That would be Upper Chinook Creek Falls (not officially named). I haven't hiked beyond Chinook Creek Falls on the east side trail, so I'm not sure where the trail passes the falls, but I imagine it's near or above the top of the falls, and from looking at the cliffs it dives over, I'd have to think that you wouldn't be able to go straight down from the trail to the falls, probably have to come from dowmstream a short distance. Looks fairly impressive from any direction (though it does dry out late in the year 'cause all that's fueling it is the snowmelt from the Tipsoo Lake area). Otter - The small falls on Chinook Creek just above the camp area isn't named, the (lower) big one on Chinook Creek is Chinook Creek Falls, and the one on Kotsuck Creek is called Sydney Falls. The one on Needle Creek isn't named to the extent of my knowledge, and I haven't been there yet (I will some day, but that's a good day long excursion). Mcaver - you'd be surprised at what the park service hasn't developed. Sydney Falls is one of the most impressive falls in the park, even in the southern half of the state, and there is no developed viewpoint, Cougar Falls, just below 123, just east of Box Canyon, is totally undeveloped, and then Fairy Falls, widely touted as one of the tallest in the world (sic), no access other than the view from The Bench. Shameful, considering something like this is given more attention. All - Sounds like a Comet Falls outing is in order (I still need good pictures, plus I really wanna see if there are scars from the lahar). I'll play tourguide and provide an entrance pass if someone else wants to drive. smile.gif

Roxann

Roxann
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 8:49 pm 
Waterfalls
I should of known.......always ask your resident waterfall expert. wink.gif "I have an obsession going with waterfalls," admits Bryan Swan, This a direct quote from an article in Backpacker magazine. smile.gif

Otter

Otter
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 10:41 pm 
it's a great idea roxann... ofcourse i have no idea about dates that far ahead. I do hope to get up there sooner while the flow is heavy...but i sure wouldn't mind a second trip. As for falls in the park. There are two very nice ones in the Indian Bar area...not a dayhike...or at least it would be a waste to do it as a dayhike...there is far too much beauty to behold in that area. Also there are the falls on your way to box canyon via the wonderland. A couple of those would be doable as day hikes. There is also the falls on the east side outside of the park...Mesatche Falls. Looked spectacular from a far...but the American river was far to high and swift for us to get over to it, there is no bridge across that way...the short way. Oh lots and lots of exploring.... dizzy.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 3:22 pm 
Sore Feet -- Thanks for the info. It's unfortunate the trail doesn't stop at the fall, considering how close it is. I'm amazed at some of the less-than-impressive falls that do get attention (and names!) sometimes, compared to what is left out. I don't necessarily mean development around/to the fall, but just some acknowledgement that it even exists. There are much smaller falls labeled as just "Falls" on the maps. This fall didn't even get that. Surprising for it size and ease of view. Otter -- I'm usually not able to get out during the week, unfortunately. I was on vacation last week and was on Rainier Thursday and Friday. Doesn't happen very often. frown.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 7:48 pm 
Bryan. I'm free Saturday; I've never been to Comet Falls, or any of the other falls in that valley; the trail is snow-free - and I can provide transportation. agree.gif If you're free, you might see if anyone else wants to take advantage of your guide service. Scrooge

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 7:53 pm 
Hmm. Not a bad idea. If I'm free on Saturday. I may be going out towards Darrington, but it's still up in the air at the moment. I'll post a heads up in Partners if I'm free.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 8:44 am 
I'm often free during the week. Have car, do not have parking pass for Park. Mt. Rainier was kinda my playground when I was a kid, so it's always a nice bit of nostalgia to take a walk down there now.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 7:27 pm 
Alright, my guide service is open for business (provided Scrooge is in with the wheels). See the post in Partners for details.