Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > live music thread?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Aug 22, 2016 7:49 am 
My wife and I went down to the MaryHill Winery Saturday night to catch Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck play the blues. Great concert. The place was packed. Lots of the 50+ crowd. Everybody drinking wine and just digg'n it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Aug 22, 2016 8:46 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
My wife and I went down to the MaryHill Winery Saturday night to catch Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck play the blues. Great concert. The place was packed. Lots of the 50+ crowd. Everybody drinking wine and just digg'n it.
That sounds like a great show. Two living legends. up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Aug 22, 2016 9:50 am 
That sounds nice HTT. I grew up just west of there. I've been to the winery a few times, but haven't ever been to a concert there. They get some pretty big names perform there.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Aug 22, 2016 10:16 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
That sounds nice HTT. I grew up just west of there. I've been to the winery a few times, but haven't ever been to a concert there. They get some pretty big names perform there.
There were some minor inconveniences. The winery is a bit remote, good places to stay and eat can be a drive. Also, the venue has a lot more capacity than the parking available. They use Goldendale school buses to shuttle people in from the parking lot down at the Maryhill museum. But, there were food vendors there during the concert and if you arrive early you can get parking. It was our 38th wedding anniversary and my wife is a BIG blues fan so we went for it and had a great time. Glad we did, and would probably do it again.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 28, 2016 11:45 pm 
Most of the time I'm surprised to see how many other people show up at concerts by artists I didn't know anybody else knew about. Well tonight really was a sparse crowd at a club I've never even heard of until now--Barboza. It's the downstairs of Neumo's, which I have heard of. Anyway, the band was Still Corners. I think I'd describe them as dream pop, if not that the completely non-descriptive catchall alternative rock. Great show. Their recorded music is fairly mellow, but like most musicians when you see them live they turn the volume up to 11 and let their inner rocker out.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Nov 22, 2016 2:53 pm 
I found an even smaller club than the last one I went to--Sunset Tavern in Ballard. Just up the street from The Tractor that I've been to many times, but I'd never heard of this one. While you don't actually go down any stairs (it's in a backroom behind the bar area), I swear it felt like someone's unfinished basement. The sparsest club I've ever been to, felt like an afterthought. The performer was Mr. Little Jeans, the stage name of a female Norwegian (although Californian now) synth pop artist. The show was decent, but the first one I've been to in a long, long time where I thought the live versions of songs didn't sound better than the recorded versions. It was also a short set, about 45 minutes including encore. The ticket was cheap, but I was still slightly disappointed overall. Oh well. I did get to see a rat scurrying across the side walk in front of me while I was walking back to my car after (not by the Sunset, this was several blocks away and not by any eating/drinking establishments). Also, I gotta rant a little bit about the last several opening acts I've seen. I think there's an unwritten rule they aren't supposed to outshine the headliner, but the last couple I had to endure, wasn't enjoyable at all. The opener is supposed to get the audience warmed up, not put to sleep. Not to say they had no musical talent, but not much in the way of showmanship or stage presence. And it certainly isn't music I would choose to listen to on the radio or cd or anything. OK, rant over.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 am 
Stevie Nicks at the Key Arena last night! Still belting out her great songs old and new, packed house on its feet most of the night, fabulous time! up.gif rocker.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 13, 2016 11:45 am 
I saw a concert review for Stevie Nicks in the paper today. The Pretenders were the opening act?! Wow, seems like they are worthy of being headliners themselves.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Dec 13, 2016 5:02 pm 
Yes, The Pretenders were the opening act! Chrissie Hynde and Stevie sang "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" together if you can imagine that. Stevie Nicks was in very fine form, so good to hear her sing like that after so many years!

Damian

Damian
PostThu Dec 15, 2016 6:33 pm 
Wow. The Pretenders shouldn't be opening for anyone.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Dec 15, 2016 8:09 pm 
Agreed! We felt very lucky to see both girls in one show. And when I say "girls", I really mean it. Chrissie sang and played her guitar like she was in her twenties, and Stevie sounded even better than she did in her twenties. agree.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:34 pm 
Dusty 45s were in Leavenworth again, this time at Ale-Fest. Great fun, tight NW group doing surfer, rockabilly, Buddy Holly, and original stuff. tongue.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 12:45 am 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Dusty 45s were in Leavenworth again, this time at Ale-Fest. Great fun, tight NW group doing surfer, rockabilly, Buddy Holly, and original stuff. tongue.gif
Is the lead singer still lighting his trumpet on fire as a finale? I've seen them a couple times, seems like he always does that.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 12:35 am 
I haven't been to a concert in a while, I was overdue. Kasey Chambers rocked the Tractor Tavern tonight. She puts on a great show. It's kinda late-ish but I'm too jazzed up to go to bed now. The opener was really good too. Never heard of him before. Garrett Kato. Australian by way of Vancouver BC, and unbelievably tonight was the first time he's ever been in the U.S. he said. His style is different but his voice reminded me of John Mayer. I'm not sure that I've ever caught the opening night of a tour before either, that was pretty cool. Kasey only played a few songs of her latest album (just got released in the U.S., was available as an import only previously), mostly went back thru her catalog and played a bunch of older stuff.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 8:57 am 
Caught the full 80's band fest last night in Auburn. Tesla, Poisen, and Def Leppard. A really good show by all.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau