Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Americans are moving out of urban counties like never before
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Apr 28, 2022 12:44 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Apr 28, 2022 1:33 pm 
Sure, and for a variety of reasons I would say, financial and political and most likely to get away from the surge in crime and homelessness. With the rise in housing costs, those who are retiring will get a premium price for their property now and then can buy a much cheaper or nicer property in a rural area or urban in states other than CA,WA, and Oregon on the left coast.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 28, 2022 3:41 pm 
I'm not sure how they are running their calculations, their map shows King County as an "urban loss" County, but other statistics show King County continuing to grow in population at > 1% aka 2,000 people per month. https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-counties/wa/king-county-population

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun May 01, 2022 8:48 am 
California has been positive for decades, but just turned slightly negative in 2020. Here is a full picture: https://calmatters.org/explainers/california-population-migration-census-demographics-immigration/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw37iTBhCWARIsACBt1IzwzBEDEMOYdt14ZEoX-K_HaIxp-feXPrPrPIBPcwI7n6Z97gg4i-oaAsGLEALw_wcB "One group of Californians isn’t looking for greener pastures: college graduates. Over the past five years, California has attracted 162,000 more adults with at least a bachelor’s degree from other states than it has lost, according to the Public Policy Institute of California. The Golden State stands alone in this regard. 'This interstate migration pattern — gaining large numbers of college graduates while losing large numbers of less educated adults — doesn’t happen anywhere else in the country,' the report states." People are leaving California because of the cost of living, full stop. But it remains a worldwide magnet for the financially comfortable.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun May 01, 2022 3:28 pm 
Rural America is hiring?

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun May 01, 2022 7:33 pm 
Actually, it seems as if we're creating new (or not so new) urban areas. The Bend/Redmond/soon to be Madras metropolis started growing 50 years ago, when we would stay in a little highway motel for spring break skiing. The population is now close to 100,00. Kalispell will soon encompass Whitefish with chain stores/restaurants and subdivisions. Although I'm comfy with my off-the-highway neighborhood in Leavenworth, I wouldn't mind moving to either of those thriving locales, or at least spending more time there. tongue.gif https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2022/04/booming-bend-illustrates-national-pandemic-trend-toward-rural-remote-work.html

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
rossb

rossb
PostTue May 03, 2022 2:41 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Sure, and for a variety of reasons
I disagree -- and think there is only one big reason: COVID. There is nothing else that would explain such a sudden turn. We get a major pandemic, and people find the city less attractive (go figure). My guess is ten years from now this will be seen as a blip, and the long trend towards urbanization in the United States (that started in the early 70s) will continue, like it has in most of the world. Researchers do expect the numbers to level off around 2050 (I have no idea why).
Chief Joseph wrote:
With the rise in housing costs, those who are retiring will get a premium price for their property now
If people are moving to rural areas (and abandoning the city) then there will be no rise in housing costs. It will be like Detroit, where you can't get much for your house, and the population shrinks. It has to be one or the other. Either people can cash out because lots of people want to live in the city, or they don't get squat for their house (because people don't).

Cyclopath, zimmertr
rossb

rossb
PostTue May 03, 2022 2:45 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
People are leaving California because of the cost of living, full stop. But it remains a worldwide magnet for the financially comfortable.
In other words, California is gentrifying. This is largely because they don't allow it to get bigger. San Fransisco would look like Tokyo if they let it. It would be a lot more affordable, and have a lot more people.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 03, 2022 3:31 pm 
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article260980852.html It interesting to see which counties in California are actually losing population, some of the biggest percentage losses are in rural counties.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 03, 2022 7:58 pm 
rossb wrote:
I disagree -- and think there is only one big reason: COVID. There is nothing else that would explain such a sudden turn. We get a major pandemic, and people find the city less attractive (go figure).
Well I disagree right back, Covid never even entered my mind as the "Myriad of Reasons"....imo, THE main reason is safety concerns because of the rise in crime, violence, open drug use, homelessness and insane property tax levels. Covid is a temporary thing and has pretty much run it's course. The problem seems to be much worse in the inner cities of Blue states where the leaders take an especially soft approach to crime and other societal issues.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostWed May 04, 2022 9:21 am 
The map is easier to interpret within the context of the article it was lifted from. Exodus from Urban Counties Hit a Record in 2021 Key point: population growth over the past two years shifted from urban to suburban/exurban/rural areas, mostly due to the pandemic - but the trend was already in place. Lots of interesting factoids and claims in here. Thanks for the post.
Quote:
King County, Washington (Seattle) not only lost domestic migrants but saw its population shrink for the first time since the 1970s.
Quote:
Overall, the Sunbelt and the Mountain West continued to outshine the rest of the country. Remote rural counties in eastern Oregon and northern Idaho experienced robust population growth while every single county in Nevada gained population.
Quote:
The future health of cities will depend on expanding the pipeline of skilled immigrants and addressing the housing stock and affordability crisis that makes living in far flung suburbs the cheapest option for many Americans.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu May 05, 2022 12:22 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Well I disagree right back, Covid never even entered my mind as the "Myriad of Reasons"....imo, THE main reason is safety concerns because of the rise in crime, violence, open drug use, homelessness and insane property tax levels. Covid is a temporary thing and has pretty much run it's course. The problem seems to be much worse in the inner cities of Blue states where the leaders take an especially soft approach to crime and other societal issues.
The highest per-capita rates of drug overdose deaths are in rural areas, e.g. West Virginia, New Hampshire, and Kentucky are the top three states. But I guess they do their drugs secretly rather than in the open, so it's OK to move there.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep

Sculpin, Cyclopath
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu May 05, 2022 2:19 pm 
So no inner city issues in Dallas, Houston, Miami, Tampa, Phoenix, St Louis etc? Hmmm.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu May 05, 2022 3:12 pm 
before all this shuzola about a pandemic hit I could drive around this duck burg and see various real estate agency signs in yards and some buildings. lately a drive now shows so few they could be counted on one finger, including some buildings being repositioned for a differenct business... rent is up, some other towns are building tenement to house their workers locally.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu May 05, 2022 3:13 pm 
rossb wrote:
and think there is only one big reason: COVID
COVID prompted the work from home revolution. My wife recently accepted a job in downtown Seattle that she never would have accepted previously but for the fact they are letting her work from home the majority of the time. I don't see this changing, ever. We may go back to a hybrid work from home but full time in person at the office is a thing of the past. This makes places like Tacoma and greater Seattle periphery much more attractive than it used to be. I am hoping this work from home phenomenon turns out to be a very good thing in that it allows our downtown cities to be converted from office towers, to lower income, higher density, residential towers. Downtowns were previously dead at night. This will bring more vitality to downtowns and make them the true town square that they should be. Young people will flock there because downtown will be the cheapest place to live in metro areas. Suburban and rural life will be considered a luxury reserved for the wealthy.