Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tips for using the Sawyer water filter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostWed Oct 03, 2012 10:56 am 
Yeah, I remember reading about that as well. I'm sure that would work as long as you have strong epoxy. But then you don't have the pleasure of saying Tornado Tube smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Oct 03, 2012 12:31 pm 
True -- I mean, how often do you get to say "tornado tube" in every day conversation....

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Oct 14, 2013 11:05 am 
I must have an old platy bag.. it works fine with the mini squeeze. The gasket on my mini squeeze has failed after just a few uses. I used it on a water bottle.. the gasket does not like to be used that way..

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Oct 29, 2013 7:02 pm 
With all this Sawyer Love, I might have to give the Mini a try. Pretty low cost to see if a 2-4 ounce water filtration system will work. Even if it disintegrates after a few years, $8 per year ain't bad.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostTue Oct 29, 2013 7:34 pm 
The Sawyer Squeeze and Squeeze Mini are great if you have no need to conserve space or weight, and if you have no money, or skill. Since taste, and price is no problem for me, and because I have plenty of skill, I use iodine because it's much lighter and smaller, plus it won't break if it freezes. The only time I carry my squeeze is for glacial melt, thick with silt(carry something to flush it with.

soUthinkUcanCamp
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 pm 
Iodine is not considered an effective treatment against cryptosporidium or giardia cysts according to the CDC. Filtration on the other hand is considered highly effective against these two most common water pathogens. Iodine is good against bacteria and viruses, but these are not considered much problem in western waters. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostTue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 pm 
^^^^^^^It's people like Rumi who keep me confident and in the lead. Rumi, then just carry something heavier, lol. Much lol, as I leap ahead. This is about surviving in the woods not taking your house into the woods. LOL. Oh BTW: I purify in places like Lena Lake, which claim to have Giardia, with no problem. So I guess you're wrong.

soUthinkUcanCamp
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 29, 2013 9:03 pm 
Well you might think you are scoring points and keeping score like some jr high kid going through puberty, but I am just trying to get out good information. Brag all you want about your supposed skills and your pretend "Rambo" mentor, but the fact is you often pass off bad information. I just want to correct some of your misinformation for those who don't frequent here often and don't realize you are a flake. OBTW, CDC 1 ... Critter 0 Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostTue Oct 29, 2013 9:11 pm 
Rumi, thank you teaching me.lol Now go hike something. Because that's what I do!

soUthinkUcanCamp
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Oct 29, 2013 9:39 pm 
Geez Rummy, there is no need to drag me into your pissing matches with Critter..

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 29, 2013 9:57 pm 
Ranger Rock wrote:
Geez Rummy, there is no need to drag me into your pissing matches with Critter..
How have I dragged you into anything? I haven't mentioned you anywhere. Rumi

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Oct 30, 2013 7:31 am 
Critter wrote:
Oh BTW: I purify in places like Lena Lake, which claim to have Giardia, with no problem. So I guess you're wrong.
Says the guy that just recently posted a trip report where they had a mystery illness causing them to vomit frequently... Note: Giradia symptoms show up 1-3 weeks after contact and some people that are infected never show symptoms. I drank it and I'm fine is not good logic for it being okay/effective.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostWed Oct 30, 2013 10:55 am 

Back to top Reply to topic
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostWed Oct 30, 2013 12:18 pm 
Chlorine dioxide? Yuck, if I want to drink chlorine I'll go to Seattle. Why not just use bleach? Oh, and salmonella from spices is not a mysterious illness. Also I was wondering, how could chlorine dioxide be lighter than iodine. Are they also smaller?

soUthinkUcanCamp
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Oct 30, 2013 1:04 pm 
Critter wrote:
Since taste, and price is no problem for me, and because I have plenty of skill, I use iodine because it's much lighter and smaller, plus it won't break if it freezes.
I thought taste wasn't a problem? Chlorine dioxide tablets aren't any lighter, probably exactly the same weight, and is a more effective treatment than iodine overall. Also good for people who have allergies to iodine. Efficacy of iodine water purification tablets against Cryptosporidium oocysts and Giardia cysts. Wilderness Environmental Medicine, 1997.