Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tips for using the Sawyer water filter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Oct 30, 2013 6:14 pm 
I don't filter my water at all except when I go down to the coast. I used iodine on the coast about 12 years ago and I got a very Giardia-like illness 2-3 weeks later. Then I learned that Iodine does not kill Giardia in the cyst stage, so I bought that funky MSR that is in the video. It only gets used at lower elevations. Now that I have a 2 ounce Sawyer I take it everywhere. It works fast and the weight penalty is too small to worry about. I just think of it as a slightly heavy bottle cap that needs a new gasket from time to time. I carry a spare gasket. I don't think Giardia makes people vomit.. the issues are on the other end of the digestive track.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostWed Oct 30, 2013 9:17 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 pm 
Opus wrote:
Efficacy of iodine water purification tablets against Cryptosporidium oocysts and Giardia cysts. Wilderness Environmental Medicine, 1997.
Here is the CDC page on water treatment. The most common water pathogen for backcountry users' concern in the PNW is giardia. The second is cryptosporidium. Among the methods used to treat water, iodine is the least effective method against those two water pathogens. If one is to bother with treating water, why use the least effective method? Except for boiling water, filtration is the most effective method against giardia and cryptosporidium. Add to the above "contact time, disinfectant concentration, water temperature, water turbidity (cloudiness), water pH, and many other factors can impact the effectiveness of chemical disinfection." (from the CDC page) This is why I gave up iodine more than 15 years ago in favor of filtering. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 9:04 am 
I read the article. I've had good results using iodine tablets in water which claims to be tainted with giardia. I am, however, willing to look for a way to give up the iodine tabs. I don't want to carry nasty chemicals and I'm not excited about using my Sawyer.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 3:23 pm 
Critter wrote:
I read the article. I've had good results using iodine in water which claims to be tainted with giardia. I am, however, willing to look for a way to give up the iodine. I don't want to carry nasty chemicals and I'm not excited about using my Sawyer.
I say you should just go nuts and not do any filtering or treating since you have proved you don't need to. What's the worst that can happen? Note: This advice is for Critter only as he has proven to be super human and is immune to giardia/crypto. Everyone else should filter.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 5:08 pm 
Critter wrote:
I've had good results using iodine in water which claims to be tainted with giardia.
Wait. Water makes claims? Who knew?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 6:29 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Wait. Water makes claims? Who knew?
No, salt water makes clams wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 7:23 pm 
Critter wrote:
I've had good results
You need to differentiate between Good Luck and Good Results.

friluftsliv
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 pm 
There are freshwater clams in lake Washington.. just sayin..

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 10:13 pm 
Opus wrote:
Critter wrote:
Since taste, and price is no problem for me, and because I have plenty of skill, I use iodine because it's much lighter and smaller, plus it won't break if it freezes.
I thought taste wasn't a problem?
I have carefully read this over and over and your comment doesn't make sense to me. Taste is not a problem for me that's what I said.
Proven Effective Against Giardia
Proven Effective Against Giardia

soUthinkUcanCamp
renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 pm 
Because I find this whole thing entertaining....so Critter, you're saying you'll trust the label on a product over a paper by the CDC? Personally, I find iodine disgusting and have had no problems with my Sawyer Squeeze. I think some of you play a little too rough with your toys. smile.gif

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSat Nov 02, 2013 6:11 am 
That article doesn't mention how if you're purifying with actual iodine crystals you need to warm the water to 68 degrees and the iodine will destroy giardia. The article also doesn't mention that I'm using tetraglycine hydroperiodide tablets(pictured above).

soUthinkUcanCamp
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Nov 02, 2013 6:23 am 
renegadepilgrim wrote:
so Critter, you're saying you'll trust the label on a product over a paper by the CDC?
In Critter's World, marketing claims = truth. See, e.g., Critter's frequent echoing of Gore's false hype marketing.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Nov 02, 2013 6:29 am 
Critter wrote:
Opus wrote:
Critter wrote:
Since taste, and price is no problem for me, and because I have plenty of skill, I use iodine because it's much lighter and smaller, plus it won't break if it freezes.
I thought taste wasn't a problem?
I have carefully read this over and over and your comment doesn't make sense to me. Taste is not a problem for me that's what I said.
I was just joking about your comment on the "yuck" taste of Seattle water (which I agree with, the water in my building isn't very good). Personal preference, I'd take the chlorine taste over iodine flavor if I had to use a chemical treatment and judge on taste alone, but whatever floats your boat. People here just trying to say that chlorine-dioxide is the same weight, cheap, and more effective than iodine. I like my filtered mountain-flavored water.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Nov 02, 2013 8:12 am 
renegadepilgrim wrote:
Personally, I find iodine disgusting and have had no problems with my Sawyer Squeeze. I think some of you play a little too rough with your toys. smile.gif
It looks like you use a bag with your squeeze. It's people who use bottles that have gasket failure problems. The bottle creates a vacuum that sucks the gasket down into the bottle.