Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tips for using the Sawyer water filter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Traildad

Traildad
PostThu Aug 16, 2012 5:05 pm 
boot up wrote:
Maybe if you are an ex-cyclist, choose the hyperflow, if you are a hiker with no upper torso ...Sawyer
That's cold....really cold biggrin.gif

Life is short so live it well.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Aug 16, 2012 5:14 pm 
I just used a brand new Sawyer squeeze on a two-night trip and came to the conclusion that the method which least stresses the bag is TO roll it, rather than squeeze it (which creates creases that will form weak spots in the bag). Rolling it neatly doesn't seem to create any such creases. The water flowed through mine fairly easily starting with the second time I used it. I found that just holding the setup upside down was enough to let gravity get the water flowing, although slowly. I agree that it's next to impossible to fill the deflated bags in a lake and was planning to either use my cook pot for this purpose (as Slugman mentioned) or to bring a light weight soda bottle, which would add negligible weight. I did find myself wondering whether the weight saving was worth giving up my gravity-fed system. The jury's still out on this one.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Aug 17, 2012 10:32 am 
I bought one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter and hooked it up to one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/767105/platypus-big-zip-sl-20l-reservoir-70-fl-oz I do wish I'd gotten the 3-liter platypus bag (same thing as above, just 1 liter larger). The big opening at the end of the bag allows you to scoop up water out of lakes or small creeks very easily and the zip closure is super convenient. I removed the bite valve which still left the 90-degree on/off fitting which is also really nice to have as you can just hang the bag in a tree, turn the valve off and it's ready to go whenever you need water. The bag is plenty tough and rolling it up to force the water through the filter greatly increases the flow rate. Still quite a bit lighter than a Katadyn Hiker which is my favorite pump-style water filter. Here it is in action during a rest break at a creek crossing:

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 pm 
Here's my setup

DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostSun Aug 19, 2012 6:32 pm 
I think I'm confused... are you guys converting the Sowyer product into the Playtupus product? If you already have the Playtupus reservors, compatible tubing (say from old water reservors such as a camelbak) then just buy the "replacement" cartrage for the GravityWorks.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 19, 2012 9:12 pm 
The Sawyer filters have Platypus compatible quick-connectors and are sold with the connectors and tubing. I had to use an old fitting to hook it to my MSR Dromlite, which I drink from. The same fitting will go onto a standard wide-mouth water bottle.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Aug 20, 2012 6:21 am 
What Schroder said. Notice that the first link I posted is just the filter cartridge with some hoses - doesn't come with the water bags which I don't like the design of anyway. I went to this system after breaking two Katadyn Hikers. The flat part of the pump handle breaks off the post it's connected to. Seen it happen several times. This system is slightly less convenient in some ways (can't just filter right out of a creek into your water bottle) but is lighter and more reliable (no moving parts).

Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostSat Sep 01, 2012 11:11 pm 
Is there a filter that'll screw onto a plastic soda bottle? I'm still working with my bulky old waterworks pump from the '80's. Still works but I'd like to go UL. I'd like to fill up a 1 or 2 liter plastic bottle, screw on a filter, and squeeze out drinky. Don't want to mess with fragile expensive bags that are hard to fill when collapsed

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Sep 02, 2012 2:39 pm 
Your soda bottle screws right into the top of the Sawyer Squeeze filter. So do Evernew bottles or the older Platypus. The newer Platypus don't fit, but I've been told that by replacing the washer in the Sawyer with a hose washer you can make it work. Warning--I haven't tried this bit with the Platypus as I no longer use them. I got tired of having to carry several extra caps because I was always losing them off the Platys, and switched to Evernew because their caps are connected to the bottle.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostSun Sep 02, 2012 3:47 pm 
Maybe I've got the wrong perception- the sawyer bag & filter can thread onto and squeeze into another vessel, right? I'm looking to eliminate the flimsy/hard to fill sawyer bag. Ideally, screw a filter onto a pop bottle full of untreated water, and squeeze that into a cup, a widemouth bottle, or directly into my parched gullet I'd like to avoid paying $60 for it too lol dizzy.gif

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain
Spotly

Spotly
PostSun Sep 02, 2012 4:15 pm 
Mine (2nd one) hasn't leaked yet. I'm starting to think that I may have been overtightening it all along. I've made a concenrated effort to turn till just snug and so far, so good.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Sep 02, 2012 5:34 pm 
For $37 you can get this at Wal-Mart that connects to plastic tubing like used on most filters. But that still does not solve the freezing problem. Even includes hose clamps.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostSun Sep 02, 2012 11:43 pm 
yeah that's getting closer, but I'll keep using my waterworks before spending $37. I'd like to find a standalone unit that'll screw into any standard 2l or .5l soda bottle.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 03, 2012 5:47 pm 
We've got a Sawyer in-line filter DIY-modded sorta like Will's, and we've also go the Sawyer Squeeze filter. Finally got enough days on the Squeeze to offer an informed opinion. We prefer the Squeeze filter -- it seems to be faster and it's bonehead simple to use-- except for the bags, which fail after a few uses. rant.gif We're using a Platypus bag as the raw water bag. The threads marry up just fine.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 am 
Yeah, I had a pinhole leak in the bag after the third use. Just enough use to keep me interested enough to replace the bag with a 2 liter platypus, but they clearly have rather unimpressive quality control.