Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Face, Indian, & Sublime Ridge, July 26-30, 2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Aug 09, 2012 10:50 pm 
Peaks: Red Face 7141, Indian 7133, Sublime Ridge Points 7087 & 6874 (USGS Mt. Redoubt) Dates: July 26-30, 2012 Party: Matt, Dicey, cartman The original plan: Hike to Tapto Lakes via Hannegan Pass & Whatcom Pass. Climb Red Face & Indian. Take Whatcom-Redoubt High Route and Ruta Lake High Route to Bear Peak. Return via (reputedly very brushy) Chilliwack Trail. What actually happened: Didn't go to Bear. Instead went only a few miles up the Whatcom-Redoubt High Route. But what a few miles it was! We took the name "Sublime Ridge" from the following quote, describing the southern end of the Whatcom-Redoubt High Route. "Now we were beginning some of the best ridgetop travel to be found anywhere in the range; broad ridges, gentle summits, walking on a carpet rarely as high as 6'. Our route took us over Pk 6874' (554'P) and Pk 7087' (687'P). Not only was the travel great, but the views were sublime with the full expanse of Challenger and its satellites front and center, and close below some of the finest lake basins I've ever seen." Mitch Blanton, August 2001
GPS Track
GPS Track
Day 1, Hannegan TH 3109 to Graybeal Camp 3125 (10:12am – 7:50pm) The first day was a lot of trail hiking - first up to Hannegan Pass at 5073 feet, then down to the Chilliwack River crossing at 2560 feet, then back up to Graybeal Camp at 3125 feet. Yes, 14 miles of hiking for a net elevation gain of 16 feet. The trail had patchy snow just before Hannegan Pass, and the open basin around Boundary Camp was completely snow-covered, but otherwise the trail was dry. There was thick brush with some nettles on the last mile before Graybeal Camp. The most interesting part was crossing the Chilliwack on the cable car. In the evening, we had glimpses of colorful alpenglow upstream above Brush Creek.
Platform for the cable car
Platform for the cable car
Cable Car over the Chillwack River
Cable Car over the Chillwack River
Junction at Brush Creek
Junction at Brush Creek
Alpenglow reflected in Brush Creek
Alpenglow reflected in Brush Creek
Day 1 stats: 14.3 miles, 3176 gain, 3160 loss, 9:40 hours Day 2, Graybeal Camp to Tapto Lakes; Red Face & Indian Mountains Graybeal Camp to Tapto Shoulder 6038 (7:20am – 10:40am) Beyond Graybeal the patches of brush were fortunately much smaller. Whatcom Pass was mostly snowy. Above Whatcom we found parts of the way trial to Tapto Lakes, but it was mostly snow travel. We dropped out packs atop the 6000-foot shoulder above Tapto Lakes, and headed out to ascend Red Face & Indian Mountains. Tapto Lakes were mostly snow-covered, but still pretty, with speckles of blue outlining their rims.
Tapto Lakes & Redface from camp
Tapto Lakes & Redface from camp
Tapto Lakes and clouds over Easy Ridge
Tapto Lakes and clouds over Easy Ridge
Tapto Shoulder to Red Face Mountain 7141 (12:05 – 2:00pm) Ascending Red Face, we followed Beckey's directions – ascending talus and snow to the 6600-foot col at Red Face's east end, then following its east ridge to the summit. The ridge crest was occasionally steep or exposed, but stayed 3rd class almost to the summit. But "almost" wasn't close enough. Less than a hundred feet from the top was a short headwall with fractured rock around it that none of us wanted to trust. So instead we descended into a thoroughly unpleasant amphitheater of steep sloping red benches and then went back up broken rock to the top.
Red Face Mountain Route
Red Face Mountain Route
Steep back side of Red Face
Steep back side of Red Face
On the east ridge of Red Face
On the east ridge of Red Face
Crossing the nasty sloping benches (see Dicey?)
1 label
Red Face Mountain Summit (2:00-2:30pm) The summit had fine views but ominous clouds. Challenger & Whatcom stood out across the valley. However, all afternoon clouds had been hanging over the edge of Easy Ridge, and now they were rising higher and pushing closer. Looking northwest, we found another surprise. Indian Mountain was not nearby at the end of Red Face, but far away around a mile-distant col.
Challenger, Whatcom, Tapto Lakes, and clouds
Challenger, Whatcom, Tapto Lakes, and clouds
Eric & Carla on Red Face, with Indian Mountain behind
Eric & Carla on Red Face, with Indian Mountain behind
Me on Red Face, with Bear Mountain behind
Me on Red Face, with Bear Mountain behind
Red Face to Indian 7133 (2:30 – 6:50pm) To get off Red Face, we didn't want to go back through the slanting ledges. We explored trying to go back east on the crest, but didn't trust the fractured blocks to hold for the moves we'd need to make. But then we went west and found some steep talus slopes and gullies leading down. Fortunately the talus was blocky enough to not slide much. Even more fortunately, we were able to get into a snow gully a few hundred feet down, which dropped us easily onto the lower angled terrain below the face of the summit.
Dicey & cartman glad to be down on the lower-angled talus
Dicey & cartman glad to be down on the lower-angled talus
Getting from Red Face to Indian took four steps: 1) Travel moderate angled snow and talus a mile west to the col at the west end of the peak. 2) Ascend a snow finger to 6600 feet and then go around the end of the peak on easy benches to the Red Face – Indian col at 6500 feet. ("Red Face – Indian" doesn't sound quite politically appropriate, but that's how the names string together.) 3) Travel north and drop to 6350 feet (below the brush line) to bypass the southern sub-summit of Indian. 4) Go back up to round the corner circa 6500 feet, then follow broad slopes up onto Indian and then follow the crest to the summit.
Route to Indian, viewed from Red Face
Route to Indian, viewed from Red Face
Route to Indian, viewed from 6.6 miles away at Hannegan Pass
Route to Indian, viewed from 6.6 miles away at Hannegan Pass
Walking across the Red Face – Indian Col
Walking across the Red Face – Indian Col
Clouds consumed the peaks by the time we reached the first col. Occasional clumps of bright flowers provided the only color amid the steadily darkening terrain.
Nest on the back side of Indian sub-summit
Nest on the back side of Indian sub-summit
On easier terrain below Indian, such fine Cascades weather
On easier terrain below Indian, such fine Cascades weather
Indian Mountain Summit (6:50-7:10pm) No views. Running out of daylight. Didn't stay long.
Dicey arriving at Indian summit
Dicey arriving at Indian summit
cartman & Dicey enjoying Indian summit
cartman & Dicey enjoying Indian summit
Indian summit view
Indian summit view
Indian to Tapto Camp (7:10 – 10:05pm) The route was familiar going back, but kept getting dimmer as clouds thickened and darker as night fell. When we finally turned on our headlamps and set up camp, we could barely see in the swirling damp mist.
Heading back behind the sub-summit
Heading back behind the sub-summit
Is Dicey smiling or grimacing?
Is Dicey smiling or grimacing?
Cartman looks rather dim
Cartman looks rather dim
Finally in tents at 1130pm
Finally in tents at 1130pm
Day 2 Stats: Graybeal to Tapto: 3.6 miles, 2980 gain, 70 loss, 4:45 hours Red Face – Indian Loop: 5.6 miles, 3270 gain, 3270 loss, 10:00 hours Day 2 Total: 9.2 miles, 6250 gain, 3340 loss Day 3, The Lost Day On Day 3, we went nowhere. Each person had their own reasons, but the mixture included cloudy morning weather, route questions, fatigue, and indecision. Anyway, we ended up deciding to just do a day trip up to the first couple high points on the high route tomorrow, and stayed in place for this day. It was probably the most comfortable conditions I've seen for sitting around camp – neither hot nor cold, and no bugs at all – one could just pick a spot on the meadows and lounge around in perfect comfort. The sunset was quite fine:
Pointy shadow of Whatcom on Challenger 8:12pm
Pointy shadow of Whatcom on Challenger 8:12pm
Challenger summit area, 8:21pm
Challenger summit area, 8:21pm
Whatcom sunset
Whatcom sunset
Wiley Ridge
Wiley Ridge
Clouds still remain on Easy Ridge
Clouds still remain on Easy Ridge
The moon even rose over Challenger to provide an extra highlight.
Challenger, Whatcom & Moon, 8:34pm
Challenger, Whatcom & Moon, 8:34pm
View or Eric's tent out the door of our tent, 9:31pm
View or Eric's tent out the door of our tent, 9:31pm
Day 4, Sublime Ridge, then return to Graybeal Camp We awoke on top of the world, floating in the sky above the clouds. I love this kind of morning, when the valleys are all filled with clouds, and I feel like I'm standing on a balcony of heaven. The clouds were a puffy white sea below, pierced by archipelagos of peaks.
Tapto Morning above the clouds
Tapto Morning above the clouds
Tapto Camp to Point 7087 (6:00 – 8:35am) We headed out early to explore "Sublime Ridge." We hiked across to Middle Lakes and then up easy terrain on the south slope of Point 7087. The travel was as fine as promised, easy snow or talus slopes, with ever-widening views.
Hiking out above the clouds
Hiking out above the clouds
Point 7087 from Middle Lakes – we followed the snow ramps up rightward, then back left
Point 7087 from Middle Lakes – we followed the snow ramps up rightward, then back left
All along the ridge, Challenger stood out especially prominent – it's pointy summits and bright glacier re-appearing each time we turned a corner or shoulder. Below us, the nearest clouds gradually thinned to reveal Whatcom Pass.
Red & yellow heather with Whatcom Pass peaks
Red & yellow heather with Whatcom Pass peaks
Point 7087 (707P) (8:35 – 9:45am) Atop 7087 I discovered that we actually stood at the juncture of three separate seas of clouds – filling the Chillwack basin to the north, Little Beaver to the east, and the whole coastline to the west.
Chilliwack River to Little Beaver, with Sublime Ridge foreground, Bear & Redoubt background
Chilliwack River to Little Beaver, with Sublime Ridge foreground, Bear & Redoubt background
Little Beaver to Whatcom Pass, with lots of Pickets
Little Beaver to Whatcom Pass, with lots of Pickets
Whatcom Pass to Chilliwack River, with Red Face & Indian foreground, and all the Baker area peaks behind
Whatcom Pass to Chilliwack River, with Red Face & Indian foreground, and all the Baker area peaks behind
We stayed for over an hour enjoying the views. A pair of dueling swallows buzzed the summit so close that I could hear the rush of their wings going past my head.
cartman & Dicey
cartman & Dicey
Me with Bear, Redoubt, & the other Chillwack peaks
Me with Bear, Redoubt, & the other Chillwack peaks
Col of the Wild (between NW & SE Mox)
Col of the Wild (between NW & SE Mox)
East Lakes & the Prophet Range
East Lakes & the Prophet Range
Looking up Little Beaver under the receding skirt of clouds
Looking up Little Beaver under the receding skirt of clouds
Point 7087 to Point 6874 (9:45 – 11:40am) We continued the high route to the next prominence, Point 6874. Beyond that point, the map shows one steep section that we didn't descend, but Mitch Blanton went up it okay. There was also a very obvious bench on the north side of the ridge that would bypass 6874 if needed.
Route to 6874, and the high route beyond
Route to 6874, and the high route beyond
Travel atop the crest was as sublime as promised. Just off of 7087, there was a brief steep and narrow section, but it was solid and easy travel, maybe barely 3rd class. Everything else was just rolling ridge crest of mostly snow or meadows, with a bit of talus. Even when patches of scrub cedar appeared, there was always a convenient path through it. The route included a 700-foot elevation drop to the col between the high points, plus a few lesser drops between intermediate bumps, but it was worth it for the views.
Coming down off Point 7087
Coming down off Point 7087
White heather along the way
White heather along the way
An interesting rock along the way
An interesting rock along the way
Last col before Point 6874
Last col before Point 6874
Point 6874 (574P) (11:40 – 1:00pm) Point 6874 provided the best grandstand view of Redoubt. We spent another long summit break just sitting and admiring it.
Enjoying the grandstand view of Redoubt
Enjoying the grandstand view of Redoubt
And Bear also
And Bear also
I was also fascinated by the view of upper Pass Creek and Rustic Peak, which Mitch Blanton had ascended on a side trip from the high route. Rustic has to be one of the most remote and least visited spots in the range. On some other trips, I had wondered what that peak was standing south of the Moxes and high above Little Beaver. Now I wanted to go there sometime. Some more views:
Redoubt & its satellites above Indian Creek Cirque
Redoubt & its satellites above Indian Creek Cirque
Rusty & Rustic above Pass Creek Cirque
Rusty & Rustic above Pass Creek Cirque
Nice view of Beaver Pass
Nice view of Beaver Pass
Red Face & Indian, with Reveille Lakes
Red Face & Indian, with Reveille Lakes
While I was lying on my back, a white bird flew overhead that I'd swear was a seagull. What would a seagull be doing way out here?
Gull?
Gull?
Return to Tapto Camp (1:00 – 4:10pm)
Hike with a view
Hike with a view
Different definition of a wallflower (looking down a gap in the ridge)
Different definition of a wallflower (looking down a gap in the ridge)
Re-ascending Point 7087
Re-ascending Point 7087
Just some more hiking with a view
Just some more hiking with a view
On the ridge above East Lakes
On the ridge above East Lakes
Descending to Middle Lakes
Descending to Middle Lakes
Each stage of the trip also included ptarmigans:
Ptarmigan with a view of Whatcom Pass, on the way to 7087
1 label
Ptarmigan with a view of Whatcom Pass, on the way to 7087
Ptarmigan with a view of Bear Mtn, on the way to 6784
1 label
Ptarmigan with a view of Bear Mtn, on the way to 6784
Ptarmigan somewhat ruffled after being chased by photographers
Ptarmigan somewhat ruffled after being chased by photographers
Ptarmigan near camp, letting us get close so its chicks can run away and hide
Ptarmigan near camp, letting us get close so its chicks can run away and hide
I had feared that I would feel terribly sad when we reached the far point of today's trip, because we would have to stop short instead of continuing onward. Instead, I felt energized and inspired. The remainder of the high route looked so enticing that it left me exhilarated by the beautiful terrain and excited by the prospect of coming back to explore even more of it. Now I want to come back when I can make the complete traverse from Canada, with opportunities to visit Redoubt's Mad Eagle satellites, Bear Mtn, and Rustic Mtn along the way. Tapto Camp to Graybeal Camp (5:05 – 7:25pm) Then we packed up and moved back down into the valley, making it as far as Graybeal for today.
Last view of our high camp.
Last view of our high camp.
Day 4 Stats: Sublime Ridge Loop: 6.2 miles, 3930 gain, 3930 loss, 10:00 hours (includes 2:30 hours of summit breaks) Tapto to Graybeal: 3.6 miles, 70 gain, 2980 loss, 2:30 hours Day 4 Total: 9.8 miles, 4000 gain, 6910 loss Day 5, Graybeal Camp to Hannegan Trailhead Back down and up and down the trail again, 14.3 miles for a net elevation loss of 16 feet. Clouds were building overhead again, which made nice light for the flowers along the traverse above Hannegan Creek.
Sprouting pinecone
Sprouting pinecone
Tiger Lilies
Tiger Lilies
Mixed flower garden
Mixed flower garden
Paintbrush
Paintbrush
I don't know what these are called
I don't know what these are called
Hiking past flower gardens
Hiking past flower gardens
Day 5 Stats: 14.3 miles, 3160 gain, 3176 loss, 9 hours Trip Total Stats: 47.4 miles, 16,600 gain.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 09, 2012 11:26 pm 
Really wonderful pics Matt. I wish you guys had done it later in the summer so I could see more lakes, but nicely done.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Gregor
Gregor

Gregor
Gregor
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 6:36 am 
Fantastic pictures Matt I especially liked that one of Cartman in the cable car. Classic!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 8:18 am 
Nice up.gif Ring-billed Gulls are pretty common in that area

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 8:41 am 
Wow - great set of photos and inspiring report. That traverse looks fantastic.
Matt wrote:
fatigue
Geez, how did that happen? clown.gif Glad to know you guys have at least some appearances of being mortal.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am 
I can now understand why cartman was still feeling this hike during our outing the following weekend. Looks like a tough but rewarding trip. I've never heard of this area before.

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 2:02 pm 
Matt wrote:
1 label
I can see Dicey's cap & bells. Nice excursion, fellas. Matt, your photos justify the exertions of hauling a camera. N

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 2:32 pm 
Really wonderful trip report Matt. up.gif up.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Thanks for sharing your trip to that area. That area has me very interested. Beautiful pics as always

Eric Eames
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 7:45 pm 
Awesome Matt! Truely awesome!!!!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Aug 10, 2012 11:00 pm 
Wow, you guys, just fabulous!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSat Aug 11, 2012 10:40 am 
Great trip; awesome area!

iron

iron
PostTue Nov 06, 2012 1:27 pm 
great report matt. looks like a truly stellar area. when you want to go back, let me know... smile.gif

cartman

cartman
PostTue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm 
Matt wrote:
We took the name "Sublime Ridge" from the following quote, describing the southern end of the Whatcom-Redoubt High Route. "Now we were beginning some of the best ridgetop travel to be found anywhere in the range; broad ridges, gentle summits, walking on a carpet rarely as high as 6'. Our route took us over Pk 6874' (554'P) and Pk 7087' (687'P). Not only was the travel great, but the views were sublime with the full expanse of Challenger and its satellites front and center, and close below some of the finest lake basins I've ever seen." Mitch Blanton, August 2001
I've taken to giving a name to any peak that doesn't have one on the USGS or that I haven't heard of before. After reading Mitch's TR, I had this one named before leaving for the trip--and it was even better than expected. Sublime Ridge was my favorite summit of the year. 7087 was harder to come up with a name, but settled on Spirit Peak in keeping with the theme for the area. A loop hiker I encountered on Copper Ridge a few months after this trip said the trail up the Chilliwack to Indian Camp has now been brushed out, as well as the sections up Brush Creek to Whatcom Pass.

LadyΖsa
Surefooted Spitfire

LadyΖsa
Surefooted Spitfire
PostTue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 pm 
Beautiful shots, looks like a wonderful hike!

"We have one chance, one chance, to get everything right. We have one chance, one chance, and if we're lucky we might." One Chance, Modest Mouse