Forum Index > Trip Reports > South Twin - West Ridge (08/19/2012)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostMon Aug 27, 2012 12:55 pm 
Redwic wrote:
a fairly good logging road southwest of the mountain.
That sounds like the old Scott Paper road into some logging below the S Sister. That road forks right at Daley Prairie. At one time that was a good route into the S Sister when you could drive it. Not sure now about the condition.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Aug 27, 2012 1:43 pm 
I agree with Redwic, Gimpilator's 11 hour RT time seemed very fast to me. They must have been moving quite quickly on the scramble route to do that. As far as the road Redwic is talking about, yeah you could access that either from the (former) Scott Paper Guard shack on hwy 20 or from the Blue Mtn Road by the fish hatchery. The former does not give out keys anymore at least of a couple of years ago though you can still park there. You could even get there from Dailey Prairie too. As Redwic says, a route from that direction would could potentially limit the amount of scrambling necessary. However...you would add extra bushwhacking probably and certainly that adds a lot more road miles, between 10-20 miles extra round-trip. My guess is that it only makes sense for someone who likes to bike a lot of miles and has a strong dislike of exposure. That whole area is kinda hard to get into because of all of the gated logging land. I kind of imagined this peak would be comparable to say a longer version of Del Campo or something like that but I found the scrambling and route-finding to be much more extensive and complicated than that. But fun.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Aug 27, 2012 2:36 pm 
Let me add that the summit register was completely soaked, inside. Gimpilator told me that someone else had made another register out of a Gatorade bottle, but that must have blown off or fallen down the mountain. I did not have any tweezers with me, so I was not able to remove the crumpled, saturated papers in the summit register. Perhaps someone else will do that, in the future, and then add some clean/dry papers.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostMon Aug 27, 2012 2:57 pm 
The direct finish to the ridge offers some very nice climbing on solid, compact rock but there is significant exposure and it seemed a bit stiff for 4th class. A long ways to carry a rope and all the accompanying gear for 200' of climbing. Coll to see this route getting so much exposure, it's a classic!

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Aug 27, 2012 3:11 pm 
The register is also lacking a pen/pencil FWIW if anyone is headed that way.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Aug 27, 2012 8:57 pm 
Thanks for the report. I'm looking at doing the Sister's Range traverse on skis this winter. The logging road maze looks confusing on the S end of the traverse (SW of Heart Lake). Does anyone know anything about this maze of roads??

mike

mike
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 1:30 pm 
I think your options are either the Wanlick Ck Rd (off Schrieber's Meadow road) or the Scott Paper Road to Howard Ck. I don't know the current conditions but at least a better route for skiing. A long approach and exit.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 2:26 pm 
Thanks for the reply Mike. I'll most likely need to drive those roads ahead of time to see what I'm up against.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 pm 
Are you thinking of a one way trip Tom? I would guess that Wanlick Creek is going to be a little bit shorter. The approaches are all long. The Fish Hatchery by Blue Mtn is maybe a better option than the Scott Paper Road via Lyman Pass. Routes are comparable in distance, maybe 15-18 miles one way but car shuttle back to the Middle Fork Nooksack would be much shorter. Without considering avy issues, one might also conceivably ski back up the South Fork Nooksack drainage, hike over the pass there that has the trail by Lake Doreen and go down to the middle fork nooksack. Then back to the car. That solves the car shuttle and distance is reasonable plus it should be prettier than the logging areas. But more up and down that way and you would need both the bridge on FS 1260 and where that trail crosses the MFork Nooksack to be intact. No idea if they are. Just thinking out loud.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 3:15 pm 
You won't be driving any of those roads on the S or W of the peak unless you borrow Stefan's magic key. wink.gif

mike

mike
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 3:30 pm 
I have driven through Saxon >>Skookum Ck >>Orsino Ck >>Hayden Ck >>Howard Ck >> out Scott Paper but that was a long time ago.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 3:31 pm 
Eric wrote:
You won't be driving any of those roads on the S or W of the peak unless you borrow Stefan's magic key. wink.gif
Well then, I guess I'd better start being nice to Stefan. wink.gif Thanks for the info guys!

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm 
I did that direct finish many many moons ago and remember a fun open book/inside corner that I thought was low-mid fifth, but short.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.