Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pacific Northwest Trail and Lake Ann
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hayduke

Hayduke
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
I finally made it up the Mt. Baker Highway for the first time yesterday and hiked out to Lake Ann. It was a perfect day, started in the mid 50s and breezy and then warmed up a bit as the day went on. High clouds kept plowing into Baker the whole time I had a nice view; I kept waiting for a window to get some really good photos but it never came. Still got a few nice ones, though. The lake was still pretty iced over but only a few snow drifts remaining on the trail - all easily walkable, though a few spots near big rocks where someone not paying attention is going to fall a few feet down and hurt themselves. I passed four 2 or 3 person groups of backpackers/climbers on the way out and about eight other day hikers. I can only imagine what the MBH is like on the weekend. There was also a very healthy-looking bear snacking in the meadows beside Swift Creek where the Lake Ann Trail and the PNT split. I was happy to be downwind of him and he didn't pay any attention to me even though we were only about 50' apart.
Looking back towards the MBH from the saddle just above Lake Ann
Looking back towards the MBH from the saddle just above Lake Ann
A panorama from near the same spot, five photos stitched together
A panorama from near the same spot, five photos stitched together

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message