Forum Index > Trip Reports > Putvin Trail 8/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostWed Aug 22, 2012 7:37 pm 
There were quite a few folks engaged in combat fishing as I crossed over the Skokomish River this morning. I got a decent start and was on the trail a bit after 7:30 with overcast skies. The weather was nice and cool, aiding the hike up and clouds seemed to be thinning out above. I ran into a couple after the first two miles who confirmed it was nice and sunny above which put a little extra pep in my step. The flower show was past prime, but still a few left to enjoy.
Mt Stone
Mt Stone
Lake of the Angels
Lake of the Angels
I arrived at a gorgeous and sunny lake and saw a herd of about 15 goats making their way back up into the snow fields from the inlet stream. There were three camps setup around the lake, but I only saw a couple people. I was really hoping to make it up towards Mt Skokomish as far as I could today. The area above the lake towards Skokomish is one of my favorite places to wander and observe glacial scars of various forms. I got above the Stone/Skokomish saddle and still couldn't quite pinpoint the route I was looking for from the climbers guide. Having forgot my sunglasses I also wanted to stay off of the snowfields as much as possible. I settled for just making the ridge above which provided a nice view towards Sawtooth Ridge.
Sawtooths
Sawtooths
Angel in the Sky and in the Stone
Angel in the Sky and in the Stone
Sawtooths
Sawtooths
While sipping and snacking up on the ridge a couple climbers were making their way over the backside to Skokomish. The area below looked like a quiet and lovely corner of the Olympics worth returning to. I was surprised to have not been bothered by any bugs so far today. Casually made my way back down poking into little pockets here and there. At the lake I enjoyed a few more refreshments and finally got the courage to dive in. Man, WAY colder than I thought it would be. Despite the shallow appearance, the water must flow in and out of it pretty quickly. Great day up in the mountains looking down on the marine layer.
Lake of the Angels
Lake of the Angels
Whitehorse Creek
Whitehorse Creek
The return trip down from the lake is a knee buster and not much fun at all. I will need to exit another way next time I decide to visit the area. Fortunately lots of good choices for that smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 9:18 am 
Beautiful pics from a beautiful place! up.gif

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Phil

Phil
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 1:24 pm 
NWtrax wrote:
My fave. Makes me want to go up there. up.gif