Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tank Lakes: 9/4 - 9/5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DamianW

DamianW
PostFri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 am 
I park at the Necklace Valley trailhead. It’s Monday, 9:30 am. The Subaru (standard PNW issue) is covered in light coat of dust from the dry road. I’ve returned to the headwaters of the Foss River, more high likes and stunning peaks. Last summer, in late August, I attempted the Alpine Lakes High Route via Foss Lakes. Poor planning, lack of commitment, and an uncooperative partner (young, rambunctious golden retriever) conspired to change the trip into an out-and-back overnighter. The beauty and high lake-to-mileage ratio were impressive, and I knew I would return. The first five miles are pleasant, rolling trail through cool forest. Several groups of hikers pass by; all have smiles on their faces. Beauty and solitude wait a few thousand feet above.
The three-mile stretch between the valley floor and Jade Lake gains nearly 3,000 vertical feet. It’s a challenge, but visions of idyllic alpine lakes keep me motivated. The punishment ends soon enough, and I spend a pleasant hour along the shores of Jade, drying clothes, eating, and taking in the scene. A couple miles of trail and some talus hopping is all that remains. I take my time here; I’m in no hurry. I arrive at the Tanks in the late afternoon. The area is reminiscent of Robin Lakes, just on a smaller scale. The silent, imposing giants across the valley are basking in alpenglow. Few places are as beautiful as the high mountains at dusk. I spend the rest of the day eating, drinking tea, and reading while waiting for darkness to fall.
I rise with the sun the following day. I didn’t bring a tent so packing up is a breeze. And after a cup of coffee I set off to do some exploring before retracing my steps back to the car. I employed a new philosophy on this outing: Sweat less. Slow down; look up and around rather than at the trail and your next step. Committing to this style, I found myself to be more calm, energized, and appreciative of the entire experience. And despite the mileage (nearly 20 round trip), I was not exhausted (mentally and physically) like I have been on trips of similar difficulty. I can get used to this. I arrived at the car in the early afternoon, changed clothes, and drove to the Sultan Bakery for a couple doughnuts and watered-down coffee.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Klimber

Klimber
PostFri Sep 07, 2012 12:33 pm 
Curious, have you had any issues with a serious case of the itchy golden? Ours seems to be allergic to the outside. We just spent two days out at ridge lake and had to cone him and medicate the itchy skin. He also managed to rip an entire paw pad off while running around like crazed dog that's never been outside.

DamianW

DamianW
PostFri Sep 07, 2012 5:29 pm 
My golden usually has dry, irritated skin during the summer months. We have a feeling its some kind of allergy. Apparently, it's a common problem for this breed. A couple people have told me that small doses of over-the-counter allergy medicine works well; however, i have yet to try that remedy.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 pm 
up.gif And welcome aboard D.

LC Ingalls

LC Ingalls
PostSun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 pm 
It was indeed a beautiful and peaceful place. I was the other hiker at Tank when you were there. You did look to be having a nice trip. Thanks for the info and the thoughtful comment about solitude. Oh ... I took your advice and went out towards the high point you noted ... nice view!