Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Kennewick Man Native Fate?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Jun 26, 2015 8:46 am 
Kennewick Man has finally been determined to be of Native American origin. The Indians want to bury him in the ground. Those final resting places are usually kept a secret. http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2015/06/23/3622066/inslee-wants-kennewick-man-turned.html

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostFri Jun 26, 2015 2:16 pm 
That is an interesting development and will probably cause Anthropologists to rethink some theories.

Chico

Chico
PostFri Jun 26, 2015 8:14 pm 
So we went merrily along thinking he was European? If anyone is native he certainly is. More native than the natives we call natives now. Maybe he is really Coyote or some other mythical being from legends.

gb

gb
PostFri Jun 26, 2015 10:39 pm 
Chico, I think the consensus was that his skull shape most closely matched Polynesians of today. That therefore, his roots were said to be Asian. This was based primarily on skull shape and based on that assumption a mock up was made of his face with Polynesian/Asian features. On the basis of this analysis and knowing that American Indians had migrated into the Americas independently, it was assumed there had been two separate migrations of colonizers of the Americas and that the American Indians had superseded the Polynesian population. Now, all of this is in doubt. This is my rough understanding of this issue from a recent program on PBS and a couple of articles from American Archaeology, the quarterly magazine of the Archaeological Conservancy.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Jun 27, 2015 8:10 am 
While the model of the face appeared non-native American, the numbers never worked out to be even close for anything other than the commonly assumed Bering land bridge migration

gb

gb
PostSat Jun 27, 2015 8:16 am 
Here is the link to articles on Kennewick Man published in "American Archaeology". Interesting reading here: http://www.archaeologicalconservancy.org/?s=kennewick+man These are just excerpts. Back issues are available. http://www.archaeologicalconservancy.org/american-archaeology-magazine/ It does not cost much to join and I find the topics to be as interesting as those in the Smithsonian.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jun 27, 2015 9:38 am 
I predict that in order for the Yakima Indians to get Ancient One returned to them they will first have to hold council with the other tribes and agree about a secret burial spot that all will be happy with. We will never know. The Center of The Universe for all of those tribes has always been Celio Falls on the Columbia River. Tribes came from far and wide to fish there together. The Ancient One would have known it well.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jun 27, 2015 6:27 pm 
Show this week that discussed genetic testing overseas mentioned that five tribes have an agreed to, secret location burial site.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Jun 30, 2015 8:28 pm 
13,000 BP footprints on B.C. coast? Certainly not peer reviewed, but interesting first observations. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7640492?ir=Science

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
gb

gb
PostWed Jul 01, 2015 2:17 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
13,000 BP footprints on B.C. coast? Certainly not peer reviewed, but interesting first observations. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7640492?ir=Science
That was one of the articles in American Archaeology; check it out.

gb

gb
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 12:41 pm 
Summary of the Kennewick Man saga and controversy from JSTOR: http://daily.jstor.org/new-chapter-controversial-case-kennewick-man/

touron

touron
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 7:54 pm 
If Kennewick Man had known he was going to create all of this hullaballoo, he probably would have strove to walk an additional 30 miles before expiring.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
mgd

mgd
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 8:41 pm 
touron, it seems that given the choice of which city to be his ultimate esconcement--Kennewick, Pasco, or Richland--he chose Kennewick, a metropolis whose name may mean Tehe, and in view of said hullaballoo, he has had the last laugh on us. lol.gif

touron

touron
PostSat Jul 25, 2015 2:36 pm 
mgd, I do see the humour in the situation (though I have yet to see the Kennewick Man's humerus). It would appear that the Tri-Cities sprang up in their present location, knowing somewhat, but not knowing exactly, where the resting place of Kennewick Man was, yet each hoping to be the claimant of the future fame. It was only Kennewick who guessed correctly that this famous man would be called Kennewick Man, and hence they named their city expectantly in accordance. Such is the stuff, fabric, and coincidence of history. epicure.gif My present question is what kind of hiking shoes did he wear, especially if he started out in some place like Tierra del Fuego or Yakutsk.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jul 27, 2015 11:43 am 
touron wrote:
My present question is what kind of hiking shoes did he wear
Silly. It's just a bunch of silliness I tell you. smile.gif