Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pasayten fun (Osceola, Lago, Carru & Blackcap) 8.24-26.2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:17 pm 
Beep! Beep! Beep! Huh? Why is the alarm clock going off at 2:30 am? Oh, yeah, I'm heading to the Pasayten today. Maybe I should have driven over there last night... After being rudely awakened by my alarm clock, I gathered myself enough to mainline some coffee, put some clothes on and get the car out of the garage without hurting anyone. Dani had already left for the cabin for a girls weekend of pillowfighting and taken Jasper with her, so I had decided to head to the Pasayten to climb a few peaks. She even left one CD in the car. Hmm...Static X. At least it would help keep me awake during the drive. I had never been to Harts Pass or Slate Pass before, so the drive would be a treat. The Civic handled it just fine as I zoomed past Deadhorse Point with my eyes closed and continued on into the clouds and snow at Slate Pass. Wait, snow? Had Augtober arrived already? Fortunately it was only snowing lightly and after a few minutes of waiting in the car it stopped and a brighter section of clouds appeared overhead. The trail started out by immediately descending several hundred feet. By my calculations that meant that I would have to ascend that same part on the way out. Crap. Well, no time to worry about that now. I had to keep hiking as I only had 12 hours of sunlight left. I continued on the trail, turning right towards the Middle Fork Pasayten River then another several miles downstream. I hadn't seen anyone all day until just before the junction with the trail to Shellrock Pass. Two older guys (heck, they were at least 43 if they were a day) were heading in the other direction. One of them gave me the stink eye so I gave him the crook eye. They kept coming, so I dropped one of my trekking poles and flashed the secret sign. They backed off after recognizing me a former Van Buren Boy and continued on their way. Unfazed, I started up the 476 (a rough estimate) switchbacks to Freds Lake and then up the 119 (an even rougher estimate) switchbacks to the saddle where I was treated to views of some of the peaks I hoped to climb. The spur trail to Lake Doris appeared on the left, so I took it and found a decent spot to set up my camp for the next couple days. I saw two other tents closer to the lake, but didn't see anyone in them as I went through their stuff looking for better food or booze. I topped off my water containers from the lake, hung the food and decided to head up Osceola Peak since it was so close and dinner wouldn't be served for at least a couple hours. As I started out from camp I heard some voices and saw a couple people on the slope above me. I moved a little bit to avoid any potential rockfall and continued my ascent up the southwest ridge of Osceola Peak. Suddenly I ran out of mountain (well, peak) to climb, so I stopped for a while to catch my breath, admire the views and write my life story in the summit register. I noticed that a family of 4 had signed it earlier in the day and figured it was who I saw coming down. Imagine that, teenage kids climbing peaks in the Pasayten when they could be sending text messages and updating Facebook. Say, that's a good idea. Where did I pack that phone? After a satisfying break on the summit, I returned more or less the same way to camp. Since my camp cook hadn't arrived yet I decided to get things started on my own. While going to the lake to get water I saw 3/4 of the family (mom, dad and son) at one of their tents and chatted with them for a few minutes. They apologized for being so loud (they weren't) and we determined that we would have a similar itinerary the following day. I wished them well and returned to my camp for dinner. Some cabernet sauvignon and a mini toblerone topped off my feeding frenzy and I sat out to watch the sun dip below the ridgeline and enjoyed the changing color on the mountains above. Photos from day 1:
It was snowing lightly as I arrived at Slate Pass
It was snowing lightly as I arrived at Slate Pass
The journey begins
The journey begins
Lots of lupine (and friends)
Lots of lupine (and friends)
He was kind enough to let me walk by
Basin above Freds Lake
Basin above Freds Lake
Marmot about to descend back into the hole
Marmot about to descend back into the hole
Above Freds Lake
Above Freds Lake
Osceola Peak, Mt. Carru and Mt. Lago
Osceola Peak, Mt. Carru and Mt. Lago
Osceola Peak from near my camp
Osceola Peak from near my camp
Views westward
Views westward
Mt. Carru and Mt. Lago from Osceola Peak
Mt. Carru and Mt. Lago from Osceola Peak
Osceola amphibians
Osceola amphibians
Lake Mountain behind Blackcap Mountain
Lake Mountain behind Blackcap Mountain
Blackcap and Monument again
Blackcap and Monument again
After dinner treats
After dinner treats
Late afternoon sun on Blackcap Mountain
Late afternoon sun on Blackcap Mountain
Morning came quickly and I needed coffee. Sufficiently caffeinated, I ate some breakfast and got my pack ready for the day ahead. I probably should have packed up and moved my camp to the meadow below Shellrock Pass, but I liked where I was camped and decided to leave it at Lake Doris. I set off down the trail and raced the shade into to the upper Eureka Creek drainage, passing by the 'primitive Trail' sign for the Eureka Creek trail and a cairn indicating the turnoff for the way to the Carru-Lago col. I knew that was one way to ascend Mt. Lago, but I wanted to see a little more of the area, so I continued to the meadows at ~6,400' where I took a little break and turned my head towards Mt. Lago. A broad gully was directly before me, and it looked like a very feasible way to ascend to the summit ridge, so I started up it. I made it up several hundred feet before escaping the coolness of shadow and into the sun. It was about this time that I remembered leaving my sunscreen in camp. Luckily it wasn't very hot yet so I left my pant legs on and added the Lawrence of Arabia accessory to my cap and continued up. Just as I was about to summit I realized that the actual summit was a couple hundred feet to the west. Turning away from this false summit I worked around a couple minor ribs and attained the summit. Almost. Another slightly higher point was still further west. Reaching that point I was finally done with the ascent of Mt. Lago, so I kicked over the summit cairn to unearth the register. I pondered continuing north to Dot Mountain and Ptarmigan Peak, but then I remembered an email exchange from dicey in which she replied to my query about Ptarmigan Peak by saying "That was a long day, we didn't get back until after dark." If her and Franklin didn't get back until after dark, I probably wouldn't make it back until Tuesday (what day was it anyway?). I looked longingly at Ptarmigan, and added it to the future trips list. After some snacks and water I packed up and headed down to the west, following the ridgeline for a while before dropping straight down into the talus and scree of the southwestern face of Mt. Lago. Every once in a while I saw older boot prints and other signs that I was not the first human to walk here. Just as I entered a gully close to the Carru-Lago col a voice saying "Hello" scared the crap out of me. well, not literally, that would have been quite embarrassing. It was the other 1/4 of the family (daughter) that I had not met the previous evening. She asked if I was hot. I thought, well, my wife must think I am, but then I realized that she was referring to my attire. I was in long pants and a long sleeve shirt and I was starting to get a little warm. I asked if she had any sunscreen. She didn't, but her dad did and he wasn't far behind. After saving my skin, he asked if they were going the right way. I assured him that they were, and I continued my descent of Mt. Lago. I arrived at a safe spot to traverse over to the southeast ridge of Mt. Carru, and followed the slopes up through some small trees. After experiencing another near embarrassment involving a false summit, I found myself on top of Mt. Carru, thumbing through the summit register before adding my name to the list. Apparently the end cap had been missing for a while, but it must have either been found or replaced. More snacks and water and some relaxation were in order. I saw the family of 4 on top of Mt. Lago and waved to them. Rather than descend exactly the same way I had ascended, I took the gully slightly west of my ascent route. With only some minor detouring to avoid small cliffs or the occasional downed tree, I stumbled upon what looked like a climbers path and soon after tripped over the trail. I made it back to camp to find that my cook still hadn't arrived. It was still quite warm and I felt like a swim, so I headed to Lake Doris and enjoyed a brisk swim. It wasn't exactly warm, but definitely more comfortable than my swim in Gem Lake the previous weekend. Refreshed I managed to make myself some dinner. Another glass of wine ended the evening, and since I didn't have a good internet connection I headed to bed. Photos from Day 2:
Mt. Rolo in the morning
Mt. Rolo in the morning
Ok, so there are a few trees
Ok, so there are a few trees
Oh, the summit is over there...
Oh, the summit is over there...
Ptarmigan Peak and Dot Mountain from Mt. Lago
Ptarmigan Peak and Dot Mountain from Mt. Lago
Inspiration
Inspiration
Mountain Fragos
Mountain Fragos
Now, Mt. Carru
Now, Mt. Carru
Stay left
Stay left
Mt. Baker peeking out over Osceola Peak
Mt. Baker peeking out over Osceola Peak
The family Carru
The family Carru
Hello!
Hello!
Sorry ladies, no photos of me swimming.  ::)
Sorry ladies, no photos of me swimming. smile.gif
Another morning in camp and more coffee was needed. Today I planned to ascend Blackcap Mountain and return to camp, hopefully in plenty of time to pack up and move closer to the trailhead. As I walked on the trail towards Shellrock Pass, I thought that maybe moving camp the previous evening would have been a better idea, but the morning was cool and my pack was light so travel went fast. Well, at least fast for me. I soon arrived at the 6,400' meadow and continued on the trail to ~7,100', a little below the pass. From here it was an easier than anticipated walk though meadow then talus to the saddle northeast of the peak. A scramble on or near the ridge crest brought me to the summit block. What had looked so much steeper from far away really wasn't that bad, and shortly I saw the double cairned summit Blackcap Mountain. Luckily the register was under the northern cairn. The southern one was at least 20 feet away. Monument Peak was staring me down, only a mile away. Another trip... As I sat on the summit I noticed some clouds moving in from the west, and the wind had picked up considerably. Was the weather changing before my eyes? As it turned out, not really. Rejuvenated from my summit break, I descended the ridge and returned to camp for another dip in the lake and a late lunch before packing up camp and starting the trudge back down into the valley. It was almost 3:00, and I figured I'd hike until 6:00 and find a good place to camp. Apparently the thought of my beer in the car was so strong that at 6:00 I hit the junction with the trail back out of the valley towards Slate Pass. I could see the trailhead, and with less than 4 miles to go figured I'd easily be out before sunset. Well...I made it back before sunset, but it wasn't easy. That last uphill must have been lengthened and steepened since I had passed through previously. Eventually I made it to the car to find it intact and the beer still surprisingly cold. I debated staying up there and sleeping in the car, but decided instead to drive back into civilization and see what I could find for food. It had slipped my memory that there really isn't much open in Winthrop that last at night. A friend reminded me about late night food options in Twisp. Unfortunately he reminded me a little too late to do any good. I settled on the mini-mart in Winthrop. They had 2 for 1 deals on the hot 'foods', and I had two Chicken, Bacon, Swiss sandwiches and a Cherry Coke. The coke was good, and it kept me functioning all the way home. Photos from Day 3:
Tom take warning?
Tom take warning?
Nearing Blackcap Mountain
Nearing Blackcap Mountain
Probably the most fun scramble of the 4
Probably the most fun scramble of the 4
Mt. Lago from partway up Blackcap Mountain
Mt. Lago from partway up Blackcap Mountain
It really has a black cap
It really has a black cap
Osceola and Carru from Blackcap
Osceola and Carru from Blackcap
Monument Peak is a bit taller.
Monument Peak is a bit taller.
Greencap Mountain
Greencap Mountain
Back in the basin
Back in the basin
I made it back to the car without needing my headlamp.
I made it back to the car without needing my headlamp.
Relevant numbers: Miles traveled: 44.6 Elevation gain: 16,100' Duration of swimming in Lake Doris: Approximately 49.3 seconds Peaks ascended: Osceola Peak (8,587'), Mt. Lago (8,745'), Mt. Carru (8,595') and Blackcap Mountain (8,397') Pit stops on the drive home: 2 (Newhalem and Darrington) More photos here: Pasayten Peakbagging; August 24-26, 2012

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:32 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Mt. Rolo in the morning
Mt. Rolo in the morning
In a profile sketch of this photo Tabor explains in his book Geology of the North Cascades how with this overthrust folding the older rock actually lies atop the more recent rock http://books.google.com/books?id=56UH5XauGSsC&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=mount+rolo+folding&source=bl&ots=mX5vpZ5v5g&sig=5mRapGEq7JcK91DWutKcZ0uA8Lc&hl=en#v=onepage&q=mount%20rolo%20folding&f=false The river deposited sandstone of the Pasayten Group from ~95,000,000 years ago lie beneath the older rocks of the Methow Ocean laid down 105,000,000 years ago.

Yet

Yet
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:38 pm 
Nice! up.gif Fun to read TR! biggrin.gif

RichP

RichP
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:39 pm 
That is such a grand area. I'm about due for another trip there. It looks like the fire in Monument Ck fizzled out. Did you see any smoke?

Joe

Joe
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 6:03 pm 
GeoTom wrote a TR cool.gif . Your photos are great. I need to make another trip Lake Doris.

Joe
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 pm 
Goof job, Tom! Last year I went up the same gully, climbed East/?/ Lago, and the heat got me. Where is Jasper? N

almosthere

almosthere
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
One of them gave me the stink eye so I gave him the crook eye.
thats rich.. lol.gif

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 pm 
I LOVE DORIS! There I said it, been with her twice... Super fun read about my favorite area in The Pasayten.
I finally got it! (it only took 8.3 minutes)

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Aug 30, 2012 4:47 am 
Rich- I didn't notice any smoke from that fire. Hopefully it has fizzled out. I'd like to pay a visit to that drainage sometime in September or October. Monument looks like it could be a lot of fun. Niko- Jasper had his paws full at the cabin with his mama and several of his 'aunts'. He could probably have handled any of these peaks (well, maybe not the top of Blackcap), but doing all 4 in 3 days would have been a bit much for his little paws with all that talus and scree.

Knows literally nothing
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Aug 30, 2012 6:28 am 
Sweet TR! I was just up in that area two weeks ago, still haven't written the TR about it... I hear ya about Jasper's paws. The trip I did was one of the few where Jack didn't summit everything I did. The dogs' paws were getting pretty worked over so they got enforced rest days guarding our campsite while we went off to climb. Lots of sharp rocks around there. Interesting to see snow upon your arrival. Slate Pass *is* just about 7K ft but it's been so warm lately that I wouldn't have expected that. Heck, before you know it, it'll be Larch season.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostThu Aug 30, 2012 11:06 am 
Kolleen and I did Ptarmigan Peak a few years ago.....After reading your report and viewing your photos, we don't have to go back for Lago, Caru, etc....we can live vicarioulsy through your adventure hockeygrin.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm 
up.gif up.gif Nice TR and pics Tom !

Living in the Anthropocene
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostThu Aug 30, 2012 1:19 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Jasper had his paws full at the cabin with his mama and several of his 'aunts'. He could probably have handled any of these peaks (well, maybe not the top of Blackcap), but doing all 4 in 3 days would have been a bit much for his little paws with all that talus and scree.
I forgot he's a bit too large to carry in your backpack smile.gif And who'd rather not have his paws full of mama and aunts. FWIW I too was surprised--and not surprised--to see that snow. A couple of years ago in mid September the dogs and I went to Osceola: my plan was to do several peaks but it got so cold the first night at Lake Doris that we had to turn back for their sake--or mine. They made their opinion clear by usurping my sleeping bag (which can accommodate one but not two). Ice (frozen mud) on talus was hard on their paws. N

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Aug 30, 2012 5:31 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
She asked if I was hot. I thought, well, my wife must think I am, but then I realized that she was referring to my attire.
lol.gif So many good bits in this one. Excellent report!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Sep 02, 2012 10:29 am 
Thank you for posting an excellent trail report!