Forum Index > Trip Reports > Spider Gap 9.2.12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tangeman
ride the storm

Tangeman
ride the storm
PostMon Sep 03, 2012 12:44 pm 
Probably the only justification I have for going to one of the most popular places in all of the Cascades on Labor Day is that is happens to be one of my favorite places of all time and I haven't been there for a couple years. I also figured that by dayhiking Spider Gap, I would be able to possibly avoid some of the crowds (compared to if I camped), and also get a nice, healthy 17 miles in. Technically, I had never been to Spider Gap before...but I have been within a hundred yards of it. The last time I was there, in 2010, we had to turn back because a kid I was with began to have asthma issues, and his inhaler was back at Larch Knob. That was definitely a bit of a scary experience. This trip was my third time to the area, and I continue to love it more and more. It always seems like to me it has the perfect balance between E-Wa dry-bones ponderosa forest and the lush forest and meadows and glaciers of Western Washington. There were a solid 50+ cars in the parking lot. eek.gif That briefly made me reconsider coming here on Labor Day, but the meadow soon reminded me why we chose to go here.
Though the flowers were past there prime, there were still some yarrow and paintbrush out in force. They weren't the only thing out in force though...backpackers occupied every site! I got all sentimental for a bit, remembering cold mornings sitting up on a boulder, watching deer, bear, and marmots patrol the area as the sun came up. We made great time to and through the meadows, and then got down to business trudging up the dusty, loose, rocky, narrow trail up to Larch Knob.
Once we were there, we hiked the Spider Glacier (or whats left of it) up to Spider Gap.
Spider Glacier
Spider Glacier
Final stretch to Spider Gap.
Final stretch to Spider Gap.
The views from the gap are absolutely spectacular, as was the drop in temperature. We were in balmy 70 degree sunshine down lower, but up here temperatures were somewhere in the low 30s or even upper 20s...we didn't have a thermometer, but snow patches at the gap had no runoff and weren't melting whatsoever, so it had to be below freezing. No matter what, it was cold.
Lyman Lakes
Lyman Lakes
After eating lunch crammed behind rocks with our feet falling asleep, we headed down the glacier (whos glissading qualities I was disappointed in) and then went on cruise control from there all the way back to the trailhead. 17 miles, 3600 feet, 7 1/2 hours

"Civilization is a nice place to visit, although I wouldn't want to live there." My photos
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostMon Sep 03, 2012 2:27 pm 
rockband.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Samsquanch

Samsquanch
PostTue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am 
Did you need crampons or micro-spikes on the snow or was it pretty soft?

...and an exhilarating sense of emancipation from all sorts of cares and responsibilities...
ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:42 pm 
The wonderful thing about this hike is that, if you just push on to Larch Knob you can find a bit more solitude (and camp spots) even when the meadow is filled. And wonderful views.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Sep 04, 2012 2:04 pm 
I'll have to add this one to my day hiking list!

bugphobic

bugphobic
PostTue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 pm 
Thanks for the report, perfect timing! I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing hmmm.gif, day hike up to the gap (never been past the meadows). I'll be going this weekend or next, if anyone wants to tag along?

Tangeman
ride the storm

Tangeman
ride the storm
PostTue Sep 04, 2012 5:37 pm 
Thanks everyone!
Samsquanch wrote:
They might have come in handy but the snow was soft enough to get up just fine with trekking poles.

"Civilization is a nice place to visit, although I wouldn't want to live there." My photos
Gil

Gil
PostTue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm 
Nice!!! That panorama is so pretty.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 6:57 pm 
Yeah, one of my favorite areas also. I think a lot of folks that left those cars at the TH made the loop out through Buck Ck. I met them all coming down the trail as I went up on Monday.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Sep 06, 2012 1:46 pm 
Samsquanch wrote:
I think it depends on a persons comfort level. We went over from Larch Knob on Sunday Sept. 1st in the morning and had ice axes and crampons or in my case micro spikes and I was glad to have them especially on the Lyman Lakes side of the pass where the snow was pretty solid but when we were taking a break at the pass here comes a guy in trail runners. We came back over the pass on Tuesday Sept. 4th in the morning and the snow was solid on the Lyman Lakes side. It was still in the shade. We were able to walk right up the snow without any sliding around using the micro spikes or crampons. The Spider Meadow side was in the sun and softer.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir