Forum Index > Trail Talk > Need Advice: Boondocking, Commando, Dispersed Camping...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
josephakendig

josephakendig
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 10:08 am 
Hoping I can get some advice here. I have a 13ft travel trailer and would like to find free places to camp along a river or lake. Even better if there are some hikes nearby. Would like to find places preferably in NW Washington. I've heard this type of camping being referred to as "Boondocking", "Commando", and "Dispersed" camping. Also, I've starting looking at different maps to help find these types of places to camp. Having difficulty finding maps that accurately show forest service/back roads that are gated. Would be nice to know if certain roads are gated before heading out. It also woud be helpful to know if there is room to turn around with a 13ft trailer before heading down one of these roads. Can anyone suggest the best type(s) of maps for finding these places? Any input would be most appreciated! winksmile.gif

My "continuing mission, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 11:21 am 
Your best bet on finding open roads/gates is to check the updated conditions on the Mount Baker-Snoq. National Forest I don't know if the current Forest Service maps show all the gates. Probably not, so I can't help you there. I'd take an afternoon and do some exploring. I see you're in GF, so you have a dozen or more roads east of you that aren't gated and have dispersed camping. Most of the pull in spots along the Mnt Loop on the river have been blocked off, but there's still a few spots that you could back a small trailer into. It's getting harder and harder to find good river, stream, lake camping in W.WA, but it's still out there if you look for it. Hwy 2 has some good spots that would handle a small trailer fine. All the valleys near Skykomish have dispersed camping along the rivers. Beckler,Rapid, Miller,Foss. The Beckler River Rd (FS 65) has many large river camping spots. Go over Jacks Pass and there's some awesome camping on the other side along the N Frk Sky Riv. Now that the gate is reopened on the Index-Galena Rd. you can access some good dispersed river camping. The side road into Garland Mineral Springs off FS 65 has several large pull offs on the river that would be fine for a trailer. The side road (FS 6530) Rapid River has large camping spots. There's a free campground on the river with several decent spots. That area gets over used though, so not the most attractive when busy. The end of FS 63 at Cady Ridge trailhead has nice camping. You have 3 trails heading in 3 directions, so makes for a excellent base camp to hike from. I can give you lots a good free camping on river-lakes east of Stevens Pass in the Lk Wenatachee area. Fish Lk and the Chiwawa River Valley has camping throughout. Once over the pass you'll find many areas used for deer/elk hunting, so plenty of large camping available that would handle a trailer. I'm heading out in a bit to the Mt. Baker area off Hwy 542. Dozens of river camping spots along and off that road. Message me if you would like specifics on spots that I mentioned.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
robM

robM
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 1:24 pm 
don't forget about the dirtbag camp in the icicle, you could probably get a 13' in there if you are careful. Watch out for that rock everyone bottoms out on, though. Also, Crawfish Lake out by tonasket is beautiful and is free (no services). A guy could sit at that lake for a while. Good fishing, too. There are actually a bunch of free campsites managed by the NFS that are "no fee" campgrounds. Usually there are no services, either. cheers!

Get a life, or die trying!
contour5

contour5
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 9:56 pm 
The Teanaway is your promised land. Or any other roads that lead to horse trails- horse trailers always have a monster turn-around. All Ranger Stations/ Forest Service offices sell 2 very important maps. One is the Forest Map, the other is the Ranger District map. You need both of these, plus whatever else you can get your hands on. Sometimes other maps- such as the beautiful National Geographic series- can be more accurate than the "official" maps, because they may be newer and more up to date. I'd seriously recommend doing a dry run- without the trailer- to familiarize yourself with whatever roads you are interested in, before you head out for real. Maybe dump the trailer at a fee site, go run some roads for a wee lookey-loo, and then head back to collect the toad vehicle. Getting pinched at a road end could be a nightmare. Backing a regular vehicle down mountain roads can be tougher than juggling cats. I sure wouldn't want to do it with a trailer. That said- you will find miles of roads and plenty of camping. You'll need a permit to "free camp" wherever you go. Most areas require either a Northwest Forest Pass or a Discovery Pass. The forest pass is available at ranger stations or REI. Discover Pass can be bought from most sporting goods stores. They're $30 each as annual passes, and you''ll probably want both. With these passes you can pretty much camp wherever you please, but without them you are a scofflaw criminal violator in the eyes of law enforcement and they will oppress you. Get the passes or you will suffer... Not exactly NW Wa, but I spent a fair amount of time traveling back roads out on the coast this year (sometimes requiring the $30 annual ONP entry pass). Awesome backwater of backroads out on the coast. Try K1000 out of Kalaloch- take a left on K1100 and weave ridges for 40 miles of ocean glimpses from 500 to 1000 ft elevation. Sublime moss-lined roads through old growth forest, clearcuts, ancient bridges over sparkling (as well as silt-choked) streams, secret prisons, weird hobo lumber camps, rubbish tips, mountain vistas, you name it. The coast has it all. In truth, it has become harder to free-camp on the waterfront, everywhere. Also: how's the suspension on that little rig? You might want to consider some towing insurance in case you tear the axle clean off that sucker, when you're bustin' your way through the potholes... I pay my car insurance provider an extra $8 per year for emergency towing service from anywhere on earth, including mountain roads...

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 10:37 pm 
A NW Forest Pass is NOT needed at most free roadside camp spots on National Forest land. The NWFP is only required at trailheads. For example, you don't need a NWFP at any of the dispersed camping spots in the Teanaway or along the Cle Elum River. Speaking of which, the Cle Elum River road has numerous large spots that are frequented by the RV crowd so would be fine with your trailer. Bumping River is another place as is the Little Naches River.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 10:42 pm 
You don't need or require a NW Forest Pass to park/camp any where but at trail heads or where it's designated with signs. The rest of the National Forest is open without a pass. Very little DNR lands are open for camping on the West side of the mountains, so I wouldn't bother with a Discover Pass. DNR has done a thorough job of gating or destroying almost every westside road that leads to anywhere, so don't give them a dime. Edit, CW beat me to the punch. hockeygrin.gif

contour5

contour5
PostThu Sep 06, 2012 12:06 am 
Well, I don't argue here anymore. Just watch out for the giant asbestos/kevlar signs (hey- they're bulletproof and they don't burn) that say "NWFP required", or "Discover Pass Required". On second thought, I approve of trashing the DNR. Bless you, Geohiker. However, you will find hundreds, if not thousands of miles or virtually unrestricted DNR roads... wait, I'm arguing...stop... Will's right. Screw 'em. Don't need no stinkin' passes... Lots of ways to play the access game... However: If I had a trailer, I'd get the stinkin' permits... Confiscation/forfeiture laws have become surprisingly robust. Startling, actually. Wait, what?

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 am 
To further define where a NWFP is required. If there isn't a sign designating it's required then it's not required. Many trail heads don't require a NWFP. Many do and it's like WFH?....why when there's no parking, no bathroom, no nothing but a pull off. Those are the ones that tick me off. They make it complicated and convoluted so people roll over and throw their hands up and just buy all the passes. If you're happy with that then go ahead. I'm not, so I buck the trend. I have no problem with helping out where it's needed, but the money isn't going to where it's needed. I did buy a NWFP this summer as I was in OR quite a bit and didn't want to be targeted as a tourist. Wow a 3 year ORV permit is only $15 in OR.....maybe WA could use some pointers? Stop with the money grab and make it sensible.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Sep 06, 2012 7:05 am 
contour5 wrote:
Just watch out for the giant asbestos/kevlar signs (hey- they're bulletproof and they don't burn) that say "NWFP required", or "Discover Pass Required".
LOLWAT??!?! Where are these signs, I'd really like to see one made like that? You're absolutely right though, if it says it's required then it's required. If there's no sign, it's not required. At none of the places I recommended will you see a sign. I have a NWFP because I park at trailheads a lot. I also do a lot of car camping at "dispersed" locations and have NEVER needed it. Like Geohiker says, if there isn't a sign it's not required. It's not required anywhere on the Teanaway except at the trailheads. Same with the Cle Elum River, Little Wenatchee River, Beckler River, and American River - all of which are places I've car-camped in the last couple of years. I drove up the Little Naches River this last summer, scouting out camping up there. There are tons of big spots that people had RVs, campers, and trailers at and none of them required a NWFP either. I've had rangers visit my camp spots and they didn't ask to see any permits, just chatted us up to make sure we were only cutting downed wood and to remind us to put our fires out. I also camped on Taneum Cr. this last spring and that is WDFW land in the lower reaches and sure enough, a Discover Pass was required there. There are signs all over the place up there saying you need a pass. Most of those signs were full of bullet holes... Not a big deal to buy one online for $10. There were 5 of us, so $2 each is no big deal. You can argue or not but the bottom line is - if you're not parking at or within 1/2 mile of an official trailhead on National Forest land then you don't need a NWFP. If you don't believe me and Geohiker, go ask at your local ranger station. And, as Geohiker says, even some trailheads don't require a NWFP. And there is no way they're going to confiscate your vehicle/trailer - that's just some kind of crazy scary talk. If you do happen to park where a permit is required and don't have one they'll issue you a ticket. I don't know what the fine on WDFW/state land is but in the Nat. Forests it's $50. If you go buy a pass, photocopy both sides of it and mail the copy in with an explanation that you either forgot your pass or didn't realize one was required but you now have one they'll dismiss it. Saves you $15. A friend of mine got a ticket for not having a pass while parked at a trailhead in the Pasayten. This trailhead had no amenities at all. He threw the ticket away. That was two years ago and he's never heard anything since. I don't recommend this course of action and like I said, I have a NWFP for parking at trailheads, but the guvmint agents haven't shown up at his house to confiscate his car yet. There's a very good legal precedent now for not having to have a pass if all you're doing is parking at a trailhead. Google "California Forest Pass Court Challenge" and you'll find several articles. Essentially the 9th circuit court has ruled that the Forest Service can't make you pay to simply access public/federal land. I expect this ruling will spread and could be used to challenge any ticket you get if you were so inclined to go that route.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Sep 06, 2012 8:18 am 
Over in Eastern Washington, all those Fish and Wildlife spots require the Discover Pass, and we're talking now about all the 'Public Fishing' sites on hundreds of lakes ..... all of them comfortably big enough for your trailer, many with a pretty 'wild' feel to them. The touristy places, the coulees and such, are all either federal or state. Everything else is private and, once you're out of the mountains, there are really no dispersed sites, at all.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
josephakendig

josephakendig
PostSat Sep 22, 2012 3:22 pm 
You guys are amazing! I printed out all of your postings and will be researching these places to go explore. THANK YOU!

My "continuing mission, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Sep 22, 2012 4:28 pm 
Here's something that will help: get the MVUM for the area you are visiting. This is the Motor Vehicle Use Map. According to the FS, if you drive on a road on FS land that is not on that map, you can be ticketed, even if the road is not signed or gated. So it is a good idea to have one. It isn't detailed enough to help you know where to go (not a topo map, few other features are shown), it's more about knowing where not to go. MB/S NF MVUMs

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Sep 22, 2012 6:10 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
The touristy places, the coulees and such, are all either federal or state. Everything else is private and, once you're out of the mountains, there are really no dispersed sites, at all.
If you buy a fishing or hunting license you'll get the WDFW pass for free. There are 100's of nice WDFW camping areas on many of the lakes in E.WA., As far as no dispersed sites, that's incorrect. Much of E.WA is BLM (Bureau Land Management) or DNR (Dept. Natural Resources) land that doesn't require a pass. If there isn't a sign requiring a pass then you are good to go. You'll know if you are on private land. There will be a 100 NO TRESPASSING signs posted. WDFW has posted a gazzillion signs too, so if it's not signed then you are fine. There's another swath of land in E.WA that you and others should be made aware of. Any of the irrigation canals are USBR (US Bureau of Reclamation) land and no pass is required to park or camp on their land. Take a look at a detailed map of E.WA and you'll find 100's of miles of irrigation canal roads, lakes, out of the way places that offer excellent camping. Respect the land, don't build campfires when it's bone dry out, generally May-Oct, and pick up your garbage, so no more areas are closed down.