Forum Index > Trip Reports > Silver Star (SW WA), Sturgeon Rock, Pyramid Rock - 40th BDay
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kismet

Kismet
PostThu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 pm 
Last Friday was my 40th birthday eek.gif . The summer had been busy and adventure-filled. After a long week back in the cubicle, a week which followed the summer’s final big vacation, I was not overly excited to celebrate a day which felt like so many others. Appreciative of all the well wishes from family and friends, I left work a little late, content with a quiet jog and visit to the rock gym, a huge piece of ice cream cake, and plans for a hike on Saturday to celebrate 40 years. With the ongoing wildfires, my husband and I decided to keep the hike simple and close to home, closer to Portland. From our house, looking towards Washington, we have amazing views of various Cascade Mountains. Over the last few years, particularly in the spring on clear visibility days, my attention also gravitates towards the lower snowy peaks as I wonder if skiers are safely playing on them. I've never been to these lower peaks. So, for my 40th, we decided to explore these peaks in southwest Washington, specifically Silver Star Mountain.
April 2012 from Angel's Rest 
Sturgeon Rock, Silver Star, Little Baldy 
Anybody ski this?
April 2012 from Angel's Rest Sturgeon Rock, Silver Star, Little Baldy Anybody ski this?
Originally, the plan was to hike Silver Star via the Bluff Mountain Trail. But, after leaving the house in our more fuel efficient 2W car, the one with newly replaced bushings, we realized neither of us had studied the driving directions. Of course we should have thought of logging roads. Trying to minimize the time on dirt and in potholes, we switched to the Grouse Vista trailhead which was possibly a better cruise, 6-7 miles of logging roads, at 25mph in our older VW Golf. Note, there is currently a detour (bridge out) which takes you away from the Washougal River road, crossing the river via the SE Vernon Road. From here, turn left and you will soon spot the right turn onto Bear Prairie Road and back onto the normal driving route to the Grouse Vista trailhead (see references). We started off on the Tarbell trail which almost immediately headed off to the left while we continued straight. According to other reports, the Tarbell will also take you to Sturgeon Rock and Silver Star along with the Hidden Falls. Rumor has it the views along the Grouse Vista trail are better.
Trailhead Map
Trailhead Map
Approximate route (not from real wavepoints)
Approximate route (not from real wavepoints)
From afar, perhaps a bridge near the Hidden Falls on the Tarbell Trail.
From afar, perhaps a bridge near the Hidden Falls on the Tarbell Trail.
The first mile on the Grouse Vista is through the woods and nothing special. Somewhat notable were the rocks in the path and the 4 young athletic boys charging downhill at full speed on this rock. They accomplished the sprint successfully without any bloodshed with “Grandpa” in tow and looking respectively fit and as happy as his grandsons.
Rocks, rocks & more rocks
Rocks, rocks & more rocks
As the trail opened up, we picked up a continuous cacophony of gun shots along with views of Pyramid Rock and Sturgeon Rock. We thought we glimpsed a town behind us but it was not distinct through the haze (Vancouver). Near Pyramid Rock, we came to a trail junction. We continued straight but noted the route to the right for the return and potential scramble up Pyramid Peak.
Straight for Silver Star
Straight for Silver Star
To Star Mountain First
To Star Mountain First
Hiking past Pyramid on the way to Silver Star
Hiking past Pyramid on the way to Silver Star
Eventually, we arrived at the first of two large cairn piles. Straight, north, leads to Silver Star mountain. Left goes to Sturgeon Rock and eventually to the Tarbell Trail, Rock Creek and the Hidden Falls. Right continues to the Indian Pits. We continued straight to Silver Star. At the next cairn pile, we turned right and quickly found ourselves at the top of Silver Star mountain. Going straight at this 2nd cairn pile would lead you to Ed’s trail. At the top of Silver Star, even through the haze, Mt St Helens, Rainier, Adams, and Hood were visible. The views must be even more amazing on a clear day and I especially hope to return when there is snow.
Large cairn piles
Large cairn piles
Silver Star Mountain
Silver Star Mountain
Fall
Fall
Ed's trail comes up to here
Ed's trail comes up to here
Towards Little Baldy
Towards Little Baldy
Hood through the haze
Hood through the haze
Stitching - missed a few too many spots
Stitching - missed a few too many spots
On the way down, we turned right at the lower cairn pile to investigate Sturgeon Rock. At some point on the trail, you can scramble up loose soil and rocks from the south. There looks to be a trail running E-W as well.
Sturgeon Rock is supposed to look like a sturgeon
Sturgeon Rock is supposed to look like a sturgeon
Heading up the loose rock
Heading up the loose rock
Not the Best Rock on Sturgeon
Not the Best Rock on Sturgeon
Somewhere along the ridge, the highest point of Clark County.
Somewhere along the ridge, the highest point of Clark County.
Might be a simpler trail along the entire E-W ridge. This is where we left the main trail to go up.
Might be a simpler trail along the entire E-W ridge. This is where we left the main trail to go up.
After Sturgeon, we returned to the original trailhead and lower cairn. As we re-approached Pyramid Rock, I suggested scrambling up this as well. Being the birthday girl, my husband had to comply shakehead.gif We went around to the SE side of Pyramid and through some beargrass to find our way up. On the way down through the beargrass, my husband almost ran into a spider which looked impressive but turned out to be harmless.
Easy Scramble up the Pyramid
Easy Scramble up the Pyramid
Old Roads
Old Roads
The rock was good here.
The rock was good here.
Top of Pyramid Rock
Top of Pyramid Rock
Shamrock Spider. According to the Audobon's Field Guide to Insects & Spiders, it eats its web each day and re-builds it in a tent of leaves.
Shamrock Spider. According to the Audobon's Field Guide to Insects & Spiders, it eats its web each day and re-builds it in a tent of leaves.
Hungry at the time since it made me dream of hamburgers and blueberry milkshakes...
Hungry at the time since it made me dream of hamburgers and blueberry milkshakes...
Miscellaneous Photos
Unripe
Unripe
Still Hanging On
Still Hanging On
At first we thought it might be a Pearl Crescent butterfly but they live mostly in North America EXCEPT the Pacific states.  Maybe it was lost.
At first we thought it might be a Pearl Crescent butterfly but they live mostly in North America EXCEPT the Pacific states. Maybe it was lost.
Blue.  Experimenting with the new camera
Blue. Experimenting with the new camera
Red.  Experimenting with the new camera
Red. Experimenting with the new camera
It was a good day & a good birthday hike. I survived the big 40. Now, I just hope to survive the party my friends have planned for this weekend. Trip Summary - Approximately 7-8 miles - 1 hour 15 minutes up to Silver Star - 1 hour detour for Sturgeon (from cairn pile back to same cairn pile) - 30-45 minutes detour for Pyramid (we were distracted by the spider photo op) References - http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Silver_Star_Mountain - 100 Hikes in NW Oregon by Sullivan ©1993

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message