Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stiletto Lake Peakbagging Extravaganza Sept 7-10, 2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 am 
The Beckey Guide is remarkably accurate on this one... Sept 8: The Stiletto traverse Switchblade Peak 7805' West Face/Gully Class 3/4 Jackknife Peak 7680+ Up South Ridge Class 3, down West Ridge Cl. 2 Stiletto Peak 7660' Up East Ridge Class 2, down Southwest Ridge Cl 2/3 Stiletto Lookout 7223' Met an old friend in Twisp for a trip up the Twisp River. About 5 miles up the Twisp Pass Trail brought us to a nice camp just outside the North Cascade National Park Boundary in time for a fine sunset and following sunrise.
Motherlode Pk sunset 
Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest
Motherlode Pk sunset Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest
Goode Sunrise
Goode Sunrise
Stiletto Meadows
Stiletto Meadows
A casual start took us first up to beautiful Stiletto Lake before going around the east shore of the lake to the base of the West slope/face of Switchblade Peak. A fun route up the gully left of center of the peak, curving rightward to the summit, got us on top of Swtichblade Pk. 7805'. This route is mostly solid rock, but as usual with seldom visited peaks, there is a good deal of loose rubble on top of the solid stuff. Being in a gully it is not really exposed, but is steep in places so the Beckey class 3/4 rating is warranted. I recommend HELMETS, which we didn't have, but no other gear.
Stiletto Lake and Switchblade
Stiletto Lake and Switchblade
Hock Mtn and lake
Hock Mtn and lake
Class 3/4 west gully
Class 3/4 west gully
Curving toward the summit
Curving toward the summit
Next two to come
Next two to come
The descent required care to not knock off stuff but was fun.
West Face/Gully of Switchblade
West Face/Gully of Switchblade
Off the summit
Off the summit
Gully Descending
Gully Descending
A bit of class 4 perhaps
A bit of class 4 perhaps
The connecting ridge to Jackknife looked more airy than we were comfortable with, so we thought we'd circle around the north side of the lake and head for the prominent notch in the south ridge. Fun, fun, fun class 3 solid rock took us up to the top of Jackknife Peak 7680+
Over to S. Ridge Jackknife
Over to S. Ridge Jackknife
Steven Mather Wilderness North Cascades National Park, WA
Steven Mather Wilderness North Cascades National Park, WA
South ridge of Jackknife
South ridge of Jackknife
Class 3 South ridge fun
Class 3 South ridge fun
Topping out on Jackknife
Topping out on Jackknife
Route: center left gully
Route: center left gully
Roper/Burroughs register
Roper/Burroughs register
Next stop Stiletto, beginning with an easy descent of the west ridge of Jackknife, class 2. Stiletto's east ridge sure looked steep from directly across. Once beneath it, it was pleasant class 2 scrambling with a touch of class three if you wanted to seek out solid stuff on the margins to avoid looser gully rock. Quickly we were on Stiletto Peak 7660'!
East ridge Stiletto next
East ridge Stiletto next
Class 2/3 east ridge
Class 2/3 east ridge
Keith on east ridge
Keith on east ridge
To reach the old lookout site we descended Stiletto's SW ridge (fun solid class 2/3) to the large scree field across it's west slope. This scree we traversed down into the meadows and on up to the Stiletto Lookout Site 7223'.
SW Ridge Stiletto descent
SW Ridge Stiletto descent
Class 2/3 SW ridge
Class 2/3 SW ridge
McGregor/Bowan group
McGregor/Bowan group
SW Ridge skyline
SW Ridge skyline
North Cascades National Park, WA
North Cascades National Park, WA
Copper Creek; Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness, WA
Copper Creek; Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness, WA
Afterward, a fine sublapine scamper, on barely distinguishable tread, through picturesque meadows and larches brought us back to camp.
Meadows
Meadows
Headed home to camp
Headed home to camp
That night all hell broke loose! First came some heat lightning to the east, then spectacular stars, then cloudcover, and finally lots of thunder and nearby lightning! All cleared the next morning. Sept 9: Hock Mountain-Lincoln Butte Hock Mountain 7750' Northwest Ridge Class 2 Lincoln Butte West ridge Class 2/3 We descended to Dagger Lake and then contoured into the giant north scree basin of Hock Mtn. Big solid scree took us to the saddle in the northwest ridge of Hock which we took to the summit on heather and solid rock. The easy option includes a very brief loose traverse out onto the west slope to avoid a steep gully. Otherwise, staying on the ridge is a solid class 3 exposed move or two that we opted not to descend.
Morning at Dagger Lake
Morning at Dagger Lake
Yesterday's traverse
Yesterday's traverse
NW Ridge Hock Mountain
NW Ridge Hock Mountain
Keith near summit
Keith near summit
Twisp Lake and purple mtns.
Twisp Lake and purple mtns.
Hock's NW Ridge
Hock's NW Ridge
Fun hiking brought us back to camp. It was time for Keith to hike out to be at work Monday morning. I stayed and napped briefly, before ascending the west ridge of Lincoln Butte 7065'.
North Cascades National Park on one side and Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness on the other
North Cascades National Park on one side and Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness on the other
IMG_0375
IMG_0375
Fresh!
Fresh!
Once at the broad saddle on the west ridge above camp, I briefly traversed right to avoid a serrate portion of ridge. I regained it through and up a gully. Fun open ridge walking on the north side avoids krummholz easily to the top.
Top of Lincoln Butte
Top of Lincoln Butte
Little did I know that the incoming lightning storm would begin the largest wildfire in Kittitas County history: Table Mountain Complex.  The drive home was rife with fires on the slopes.
Little did I know that the incoming lightning storm would begin the largest wildfire in Kittitas County history: Table Mountain Complex. The drive home was rife with fires on the slopes.
West Ridge of Lincoln
West Ridge of Lincoln
Touch of class 3 gully
Touch of class 3 gully
Packing up under Twisp Peak 
Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest
Packing up under Twisp Peak Okanogan Wenatchee National Forest
Sunday night it got COLD and frost appeared on the inside of the tent after nighttime rains. Time, simply, to pack out and head home with fond memories and some fun pics! It was great to spend time with my long time mountain partner friend, Keith.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostTue Sep 11, 2012 10:58 am 
good stuff. looks like the colors are starting to come out on your lincoln pics.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 am 
Very nice! Brings back good memories... Thanks for posting...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
ree

ree
PostTue Sep 11, 2012 12:28 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Brings back good memories...
ditto.gif Such a great area to hang out.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 pm 
Hey Mike, Colors are looking great in the huckleberry, ash, and azalea. My photo limitations just couldn't do it justice. Fall is here!!! J

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Sep 11, 2012 1:02 pm 
up.gif Nice !

Living in the Anthropocene
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Sep 11, 2012 1:12 pm 
Sounds like a really nice tour. up.gif You are talking about fall colors but the dates are early August. confused.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 pm 
Holy s___t!!!! Good catch M, I'll change to Sept. Guess my mind is still on summer. thanks, John

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 pm 
up.gif Cool. Was just up there first time recently and really enjoyed it.