Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > JEEP owners MPG report
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mugs

Mugs
PostThu Sep 13, 2012 8:13 pm 
Ok so I know this may alarm some of you. But believe it or not I am down to only my GMC truck and have no Subaru's to drive at all eek.gif I can't afford to buy another vehicle at this point, but I hope to be able to soon. So obviously my first pic is one of the subies I have wanted for a long time. And then modify it to meet meet my outdoor/suby needs and wants. But I was thinking (this always gets me in trouble) maybe a JEEP would serve my needs even better and then some. Plus I have always kinda wanted one. I would leave the jeep pretty much stock..maybe a baby lift and 2 tires sizes bigger if that, because it already comes completely off-road capable for what I am going to be doing with it. I would want a 95-2000ish wrangler with the hard top. 4.0 straight 6. So here is the BIG question. What kind of MPG do you all get with said jeep of those years and configuration I mentioned. If they are about the same as what I would get with my modded suby, then I may just take the plunge. SIDE NOTE: I am asking about a JEEP, not a toyota, nissan, ford, or anything else, so don't go writing on here well I have a Rav4 and I get....or its a great... Thats nice for you, I asked about a JEEP. Also This will be my DD, and when it comes to DD, I only buy vehicles that have automatics, with cruise control and A/C. But I may consider 5 speed if it has cruise and A/C Thanks in advance

I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Sep 13, 2012 8:24 pm 
Mugs wrote:
SIDE NOTE: I am asking about a JEEP, not a toyota, nissan, ford, or anything else, so don't go writing on here well I have a Rav4 and I get....or its a great... Thats nice for you, I asked about a JEEP.
Good luck on this one. I give the over under about 5 replies before someone suggests that you really should get or at least look at something else, or about how great their vehicle is.. lol.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 12:49 pm 
I have an 2000 wrangler. Commuting off peak hours, if i hypermile the thing never exceeding 60 mph i can squeeze mid 20's out of it. I always have ear plugs wind noise is worse than riding a motor cycle. You will never hear the radio on the freeway...if you do all the other drivers on the free way will hear it too. clown.gif It is gutless as heck going over the pass. On gravel roads it gets more 10 mpg. down.gif down.gif In stock form it is ridiculous where they are capable of driving. Forget about sleeping in one. Oh and LOL @ snow. Oh yea mine is a 5 speed. I don't think automatics break the 20s concerning fuel mileage.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce

MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 1:33 pm 
I DD a 99 Cherokke with the 4.0L engine. 2" lift, 31 x 10.5, 3.55 gears, auto trans. I have never calculated mileage, but it is not great. I would estimate 15 mpg typically. Honestly, I was disappointed as moving to this rig from a full size pickup didn't save all that much gas. However, I don't drive in a manner that conserves fuel and highway time is limited.

Somewhere between a spam sandwich and a mountain house
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 5:21 pm 
I had a 1993 Jeep XJ cherokee with that 4.0 liter. I had re geared it to 4.56 to compensate for the 35" tires I had. I had done some engine mods too. I was lucky to get 18 mpg on the highway. Those engines arent known for their efficiency. 2005 (KJ) Liberty CRD (Diesel) Highway driving, 60 mpg cruise control the best Ive gotten is 40+ MPG. Typical city driving is 25 MPG. Combined city highway is usually around 30-32 MPG. Keep off hard accelerations and you can get mileage like that.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 pm 
It only took a total of 4 posts.. LOL! Since he was asking about a Wrangler and got responses for a Cherokee and Liberty...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:41 pm 
tigermn wrote:
It only took a total of 4 posts.. LOL! Since he was asking about a Wrangler and got responses for a Cherokee and Liberty...
The engine is the same in the Wrangler he is talking about and the Cherokee I was driving. And because the cherokee doesnt have a frame its actually lighter than the wrangler. Its not a bad comparison.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce

MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:54 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
tigermn wrote:
The engine is the same in the Wrangler he is talking about and the Cherokee I was driving. And because the cherokee doesnt have a frame its actually lighter than the wrangler. Its not a bad comparison.
Exactly, the Cherokke of that era has same motor, trans, and axle configuration as Wrangler. IMO a very valid mileage reference

Somewhere between a spam sandwich and a mountain house
AR

AR
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 9:40 pm 
A real Jeep feels like 4 wheels bolted to iron on the highway. 16 mpg combined if it's worth Its salt.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Mugs

Mugs
PostSun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm 
Thank you all for the replies...Ya my GMC Sierra SLE 3 door, gets 16-18, drives like a cadillac and has the power of a muscle car (thanks to me) So I figure its not much of a practical trade-off. I always need my truck, and love it too much. Hence why I was going to get another smaller vehicle (like I have always in the past.) And way I was thinking a jeep if it did better then my truck, and about the same as a suby. Plus my truck is just too big to drive around certain areas of where I live With the suby I would get, and then build to my taste, I can get about 22-26mpg out of it. And it would be just as off-road worthy as the jeep, but ride much better, then a Jeep. agree.gif So I guess its another suby for me....oh bummer I have to drive the car I love....lets see this will be my 12th suby: embarassedlaugh.gif

I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Sep 17, 2012 7:29 am 
I'm in the same boat... Want a daily driver/trail car, and would love a Jeep, but the math doesn't work out. I had an 86 CJ-7 years back. Same engine but a little different, carburetor instead of fuel injection, 4' lift and 32" tires and with a few mods i still got 17mpg out of it. I'd think a 97 or newer you could muster close to 20 easy enough. More if you go the 4 cyl (which i here is totally gutless). If you do get one I'd suggest going 97 or newer. There was a big change there. Sadly jeeps and fuel efficiency don't go together...

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Sep 17, 2012 8:36 pm 
The problem with jeeps is there massive amounts of rolling resistance. If i let off the throttle i put the transmission in neutral going down Stevens it will slow down from 60 to 45 without touching the brakes. rolleyes.gif HPA motor sports has a kit to drop a TID VW engine in a Jeep. In a Jetta it has no problem hitting 50+ mpg. In a Jeep it gets 30.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Mugs

Mugs
PostTue Sep 18, 2012 8:56 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
HPA motor sports has a kit to drop a TID VW engine in a Jeep. In a Jetta it has no problem hitting 50+ mpg. In a Jeep it gets 30.
Great take a very well built and reliable vehicle and turn it into a money sucking pit that is a worthless piece of crap. And I am being very polite with my words and tone of voice on this one.

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostWed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 pm 
I have 2012 Wrangler, use it as a daily drive to work vehicle (mix of city and highway, often caught in evening traffic) and during weekends it gets its dose of gravel roads and traveling over the passes. I'm getting an average of 21 mpg. Not too bad.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
AR

AR
PostWed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
The problem with jeeps is there massive amounts of rolling resistance. If i let off the throttle i put the transmission in neutral going down Stevens it will slow down from 60 to 45 without touching the brakes. rolleyes.gif HPA motor sports has a kit to drop a TID VW engine in a Jeep. In a Jetta it has no problem hitting 50+ mpg. In a Jeep it gets 30.
That's called the built in Jake Brake. To keep everyone's ears virgin, I won't even get into the VW.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?