Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pasayten Loop. Emergency dog evacuation. 2-headed snake.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 8:06 pm 
I have hiked the Three Fools trail (I am assuming that is the trail you took down from Elbow basin and Big Face Creek) three in the late 70`s mid 80`sand again in the early 90`s, when the trail was brushy but no blowdowns and I still consider it one of the best loops in the Paysaytan Wilderness and the finish to the Pasayten section of the Boundary trail. It is unfortunate how unmaintained it is and likely will get worse unless something is done. I suspect the forest service has no plans to maintain it....What a bummer!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Sep 15, 2012 11:04 am 
Looks like you got in some great hiking before you had to bail. Great job on the bailing. One of these days I have to get into that area for several nights.
wolffie wrote:
It does help to keep their weight down. ... Don't ask them to carry anything.
This is our strategy with our current quadruped pal. He is now close to 10. At 2 (ish) shortly after we adopted him he was diagnosed as having bad hips (part german sheperd) and a blown out knee, likely due to compensation for the hips. We anted up for the expensive TPLO surgery for the knee and it was if he was totally fine the afternoon after the surgery but we had to basically leash or crate him even indoors to keep him relatively still for a month or so. Having him has altered our trip planning a bit. We do some trips w/o him, but he has fun coming along and we have fun with him along so we choose trails that aren't overly steep or rough and he does great. So we aren't getting to the same sort of class 2/3 scrambles that we used to do with our prior dogs, nor the fishermans trail sorts of outings. He always wants to get up and do it again the next day even after long days out, which is what the orthopedic vet told us to use as a gauge back when he was 2. But we've kept and eagle eye on his weight and give him plenty of weekday walking including hills so we're not subjecting him to the "weekend warrior dog" syndrome. I think all this movement has kept the muscles around that TPLO'd knee strong enough to keep the joint relatively stable, though it is definitely showing outwardly visible signs of arthritis now (getting bigger/knobbier). And we look for signs that he is not having a good time - still rare at ten but now and then these days he seems to be having a bad day and we let him choose to turn us around to head back to the car. But almost always he wants to keep going if there is a trail continuing past our turnaround point, and he often asks if we're up for checking out side trails - one of his favorite hiking diversions. They do want to keep up with us even when they're not having a good time but I think there are usually signs when something is not right - I feel sad and somewhat ashamed when I look back at times when I clearly missed a few such signs with our first dog (who nonetheless kept happily hiking to within weeks of his death - lucky dog!).

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostSat Sep 15, 2012 1:30 pm 
Really appreciate you telling us about wolffie and well done getting him out safely. All canine hikers have to watch their pups closely for signs and have a plan to evacuate, you did well. considering my 100 pounders makes it troublesome, been thinking about carrying a small utility wheel to rig up a travois.

hikes and climbs with malamute
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Sep 16, 2012 3:53 am 
My Bonnie hound sends love and dog treats to Al. She is a big dog...80 lbs., and at 11 or 12(rescue mutt) years old she does not hike with me anymore but she right now she is giving me the big ole hound eye wondering when our early am noodle is about to commence. Tom

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Sep 16, 2012 10:34 am 
well done evac! up.gif I too worry about the situation of having to get my dog out from 10+ or more miles in.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
happycamper
Doddering Old Lady

happycamper
Doddering Old Lady
PostSun Sep 16, 2012 4:51 pm 
Glad to hear you got Al out and that he is on the mend! I once had to carry Sumo (35 pounds) out the last two miles from Hidden Lake Peak. I put him around the back of my neck like a shepherd carries a sheep. It worked pretty well. He just spent 10 days in the Wallowas. The granite wore his nails down to the quick; we had to tape some of them for the hike out. We may look for nail covers; he's not too wild about booties.

Gentle persons must never rush.
wolffie

wolffie
PostSun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 pm 
I carry the Pawz(TM) booties -- the balloon thingies -- haven't used them much, but they'll stay on for several miles, and they weigh almost nothing. The adhesive gauze (vet wrap?) is also good to try. Al seems fine 9/16/12, but no soccer or hikes for awhile.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue May 27, 2014 11:25 am 
2014: anybody hiking Three Fools Ck / Castle Pass Tr #749, please take detailed notes and PM me ASAP. Trying to organize a logout. Especially need rough count of logs > 10" and (critical) diameters of the largest logs. thred on Partners forum

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.