Forum Index > Trip Reports > Northern Loop Mt. Rainier NP 9/11-9/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am 
I took a jaunt around the Northern Loop in Mt. Rainier National Park as an overnight trip. The loop is about 35 miles, beginning and ending from Sunrise. It has some relentlessly steep up and downs, for a total elevation gain of around 8500'. I went clockwise and spent the night just west and below Windy Gap near some small scenic lakes. I left Portland around 8am and was on the trail hiking just after noon. The views of the Emmons Glacier are pretty much in your face from the beginning of the hike at Sunrise
The loop heads west, following the Wonderland Trail for the first 13 miles or so. Never ending views of Rainier and the Willis Wall on the impressive north face
Below Burroughs Mountain, looking north down to Berkeley Park
Zoomed in shot looking towards Grand Park and distant peaks near Snoqualmie Pass
More big views from the pass just south of Skyscrapper Mt.
I was making good time, passing Mystic Lake around 3:30 (sorry no pics of Mystic, it was looking straight into the sun). More views of the big mountain climbing up from Mystic
Looking north down the Carbon River valley
The terminal moraine of the Carbon Glacier, at 3500', is the lowest elevation glacier in the lower 48. It's quite a site to see, a few hundred vertical feet of ice draining into a raging river, and the summit towering nearly 11,000' above
I wasn't really looking forward to the hike up towards Windy Gap, especially at the end of a longish day. The climb from the Carbon River to where I would camp was about 3000' over about 4 miles. The Yellowstone Cliffs were a sign that I was getting close
I camped off-trail near some really nice little lakes, making camp and eating dinner just as the sun was setting.
I went to sleep early and got up before sunrise. From Windy Gap it was another relentlessly steep, 2600' drop to the West Fork of the White River. I could hike uphill all day, but the downhill was starting to bother my knees. Lucky for me, there was another long, 2500' climb up to Grand Park!
Grand Park is pretty cool, a vast flat meadow looming below the mountain
From Grand Park it was back down a bit to Berkeley Park, probably mosquito heaven earlier in the year but really pleasant on this trip
From there I met back up the Wonderland Trail and took that back to Sunrise. It was pretty smoky to the south and east, much more so than the day before
About 34 miles, 12.5 hours hiking time and 24.5 hours total from car to car. I often push myself on solo trips, and this was no exception. I recommend this area, but be sure to listen to your knees if they start barking at you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 1:00 pm 
Tomlike wrote:
for a total elevation gain of around 8500'
I use this hike as a trainer, and meticulously recorded the elevation one year, which came out to 9200'. Back in the day it was a 12 hour trip.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostFri Sep 14, 2012 5:57 pm 
Sweet trip and photos! I've got half that done, working on the second half..