Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gothic Basin 09-16-2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 pm 
I've been bad about posting trip reports here lately ('bad' in that I haven't been doing it). By the time I get around to editing the pictures it's been a week or three... so I just throw it up on the blog and leave it. Anyway, today I made it up to Gothic Basin and I spent some trail time with some individuals who were on basically their first Washington hike. Maybe they'll find this report, maybe not. Doug & Diane: welcome to the state. Not all the hikes are this steep & rough. Some are more, some are less. Glad you both made it as far as I saw you. Ruth: thanks for sticking with them and leading the hike. This hike felt harder than it should have felt. I started off with a pretty reserved pace and it is a good thing that I did, otherwise I probably would have called it quits before reaching Foggy Lake. The trail is amazingly steep in places. This hike, in its entirety, felt a lot more challenging to me than Mailbox Peak. Maybe it's a change in my level of fitness (likely), but this trail came close to kicking my @$$. I set a turnaround time of 1:30 because I was supposed to be home at 5pm. Since I knew I was 'so close', I changed the turnaround time to 1:45. I arrived at Foggy Lake at exactly 1:45. Whipped out the camera, took about five pictures and one video and then started the descent. Sure wish I had more time to soak in the views or do a little exploring. Alas, maybe another time. Here a a few of my pics from the day. They aren't anything too special (and totally unedited). In fact, I picked them from thumbnail size icons so let's pray they are worthwhile.
Waterfall and Snow Bridge
Waterfall and Snow Bridge
Waterfall
Waterfall
Reflection of Waterfall
Reflection of Waterfall
Foggy Lake 9-16-2012
Foggy Lake 9-16-2012
Skinny Bottom, Big Top
Skinny Bottom, Big Top
FWIW, usually when I go hiking it's with a 'home by midnight' timeline so I just try to be back to the vehicle before dark. Today's deadline of 'home by 5' made me really appreciate the fact that this isn't a normal rule. Happy Hiking! ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostMon Sep 17, 2012 7:23 am 
Yeah Foggy Lake has finally melted out! We were up ay Yellow Aster Butte the same day and I was surprised at the amount of snow still hanging around. Good on you for toughing this one out to the end.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm 
Davidą wrote:
Yeah Foggy Lake has finally melted out!
Ditto! I've been wanting to get up there again but have been kinda putting it off hoping the lake would melt out eventually. I think I know where I'm going next weekend. (The fact that most of the eastern side of the Cascades is now closed helps narrow down the options as well)

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 17, 2012 6:24 pm 
Funny. This was our first backpack in WA soon after moving here. After growing up hiking and backpacking in New England, full of official trails that would be considered dodgy fishermans trails out here, it seemed just fine to us! We have softened a bit in our time here, I'm afraid smile.gif .

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 23, 2012 7:47 pm 
Elvis wrote:
Foggy Lake 9-16-2012
Foggy Lake 9-16-2012
A week later and those patches of ice are gone from the lake, I was up there today. So were a lot of other folks. I think that's the most I've ever encountered up there. Kinda hazy looking towards the Monte Cristo area peaks but not too bad up at Foggy Lake. I took a lap around the lake, then took the scenic route down thru the basin visiting a series of cool falls along the outlet creek from one of the smaller lakes. Got a view down to Weeden Lake too. I met Galadriel and Yoko up at the lake, nice to meet you ladies. Thanks for the heads up that the lake was thawed out to the OP! up.gif

touron

touron
PostSun Sep 23, 2012 8:37 pm 
That tree pictures is pretty incredible.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.