Forum Index > Trip Reports > the hanging gardens - 2012-08-17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 1:35 pm 
years ago, tvashtar and mr. brooks climbed dome and sinister on their way out of the ptarmigan traverse. instead of a standard exit, they opted to head out via the hanging gardens, remarking: "if ever there is an elysian fields for mountain people, this is it." intrigued, i placed the idea on my back burner. having been in some of the areas near the hanging gardens, i knew what kind of potential it offered. hotpantz and her brother who was visiting us (we'll call him hotbro) trusted me enough to head out on a route i wasn't fully sure would work. not only that, the part of the route in question was on day 4.5 out of 6, with a return flight the next day. gotta love blind trust! here is the quick summary: day 1: trinity TH to phelps creek basin to fortress/chiwawa saddle. climb chiwawa, descend to 5240+ (miners) lake. day 2: miners lake to valley to PCT. PCT N to miners ridge trail to lady camp. climb plummer, descend to bags and head to image lake camp. day 3: image lake to canyon lake trail. attempt climb of sitting bull (left crampons with packs), continue on to canyon lake and then up to totem pass. day 4: climb bannock in the morning. traverse from totem pass to hanging gardens. descend ross pass around N shelf of bannock down to bannock lakes. hike up to upper bannock lakes. day 5: hike up between saddle bow/bannock saddle and drop to PCT. PCT to cloudy pass cutoff trail and climb cloudy and north star. head down to lower lyman lake. day 6: hike the lyman lakes up and over spider gap and back to phelps creek TH. walk road for a bit and cut down to trinity TH. the total trip was about 75 miles and 26,000' gain. while modest in average steepness, the trip offered lots of really flat walking followed by sections of incredibly steep vegetated slopes. hotbro remarked, several tiems, how surprised he was that plants could grow on something so steep; he lives in denver. we hiked between 8-10 hrs each day, with only day 5 feeling a bit late. each evening we were treated with a swim, whether in the relatively warm waters of image lake (awesome!) or the ice cube waters of miners lake or lyman lakes. wildflowers, while missing some of the early season cohorts, were still near peak. bugs were virtually a non-factor and the weather mostly held steady, with the exception of some clouds and cool temps towards the end of the trip. overall, it was a truly special trip. prior to it, i didn't care what happened to my body when i die (burn me and toss me out, i thought). i know now where i am to be taken. day 1 after arriving in seattle from iceland only 12hrs earlier, we dragged hotbro out of the house at 6am and were at trinity and ready to roll around 9am. the TH lot was maybe 1/3 full as we set off under increadibly pleasant temperatures. we turned off the trail to head towards chiwawa basin en route to the fortress/chiwawa saddle. this basin is wonderful. if you like spider meadows and haven't been to chiwawa basin, i highly recommend it. flowers everywhere. no bugs. and running water every few minutes. what's not to love?
chiwawa basin
chiwawa basin
all trails should be like this
all trails should be like this
flowery crossing
flowery crossing
chiwawa
chiwawa
the start of flower overload
the start of flower overload
there's probably a dozen ways to get up to the saddle. pick your route of choice from the 5500' flat spot --- a trail takes you to that point. the green ramp probably would have been best, but we opted for the one just right of it and encountered a few class 3 moves that we're all too pleasant with 6 days of food in our packs.
beauty flowing from fortress/chiwawa saddle
beauty flowing from fortress/chiwawa saddle
up the slabs we go
up the slabs we go
black moss
black moss
more water
more water
at the saddle, we could see a good deal of day 2's route. we dropped packs and scrambled up chiwawa. again, many routes will work. a glance down to lyman lakes provided scale of the remaining trip as we would not seem them again for 4+ days.
on top of poodle peak
on top of poodle peak
lyman lakes below and only 4 days away
lyman lakes below and only 4 days away
dome and sinister with sitting bull in the foreground
dome and sinister with sitting bull in the foreground
back at the saddle, we headed down bouldery, then scree covered slopes for a few hundred feet before hitting snow. at first soft, it eventually warranted use of crampons to get down the steeper, icier sections. the basin in here has a cold, desolate feel. one large glacial moraine on skier's right tells you a bit of its history. the moraine, however, is starting to show some life. little green fuzy ferns popping out.
crampon time
crampon time
eventually we reach miners lake - a place i assumed no one gets to - or at least a place where no one goes. nope. there apparently was a structure here as pipes, fuel barrels, stoves, and all kinds of other junk remain in the area. good for exploring if that's your thing, but it kind of takes away the remote feeling for me. at least the ground was flat.
i knew i left this somewhere
i knew i left this somewhere
let's hope the fuel drained elsewhere
let's hope the fuel drained elsewhere
former work shelter
former work shelter
don't forget the fuel canister
don't forget the fuel canister
made in the USA - you know it's old!
made in the USA - you know it's old!
we took a dip in the mostly ice-covered lakes and bundled up. tonight was our first night of drinking baileys irish cream, totally hitting the spot.
a chilly dip
a chilly dip
rippled reflections
rippled reflections
plant life trying to take hold
plant life trying to take hold
snowy reflection
snowy reflection
happy rock
happy rock
our icebox of a campsite on night 1
our icebox of a campsite on night 1
glassed over tarn on night 1
glassed over tarn on night 1
day 2 hotbro woke up quite early. well, early for us at least. we were questioning if he was jetlagged, but it turned out (for the rest of the trip) he just wakes up at 6:30ish. hotpantz and i, on the other hand, like to stay in the tent until it's too warm to stay in there anymore. smile.gif we packed up and walked down the valley, staying mostly E of the creek. many tributary creeks twist and wind in this area before giving into gravity and forming one larger creek. a new avi path must have ripped through earlier in the year, evident by the new piles of trees scattered about.
black flowers
black flowers
flowers everywhere
flowers everywhere
fuzzy
fuzzy
flower roller coaster rock
flower roller coaster rock
beautiful long grass
beautiful long grass
down valley we go
down valley we go
eventually we reached the forest where we had some pleasant strolling. again, no bugs, great temperature. open forest floor too. deer paths helped us navigate the random brushy sections. we saw dozens of trees with the bark stripped off. i called bear, but hotpantz thinks its deer. what say ye nwhiker community?
aw, snap
aw, snap
texturized
texturized
boulder bridge
boulder bridge
bear activity everywhere
bear activity everywhere
green understory
green understory
we crossed the drainage coming from plummer mountain lake and then headed uphill until we intersected the PCT. easy walking took us to the miners ridge trail and up to ladys camp.
mini falls
mini falls
a snake or a stick?
a snake or a stick?
we dropped packs and headed for plummer. lots of marmot trails scattered about. incredible flowers and maybe 100,000 mouse-on-sticks overwhelmed us as we climbed up. we passed under a few false summits before hanging a left towards the true summit. looking down on plummer lake makes me wish we had gone up that way as a field of lupine was clearly visible from the summit - clear even to me and my 20/30 vision.
heading up plummer
heading up plummer
hotbro heading up
hotbro heading up
bro and sis
bro and sis
the first of thousands
the first of thousands
a scrambly section to the summit of plummer
a scrambly section to the summit of plummer
summit shot
summit shot
coming down from plummer
coming down from plummer
colorful slopes of plummer
colorful slopes of plummer
many mouse on a stick
many mouse on a stick
flowers in an otherwise rugged world
flowers in an otherwise rugged world
glorious mossy and flowery creeklet
glorious mossy and flowery creeklet
elephant's head
elephant's head
happy yellow guys
happy yellow guys
false hellebore climbing up
false hellebore climbing up
after descending mostly our up route, the real flower show began as we contoured into image lake. simply amazing. i think as my years in the mountains accumulate, my favorite places are shifting from rugged, glaciated areas to those with fields of flowers. the blend is always so perfect and the smells overpowering. no army of florists could accomplish this.
leaving me in the dust
leaving me in the dust
a stuffed marmot (or is he real?)
a stuffed marmot (or is he real?)
quite the trail walk
quite the trail walk
lupines litter the hillsides ahead
lupines litter the hillsides ahead
lupine!!!
lupine!!!
flower density through the roof
flower density through the roof
gotta love bright green hillsides
gotta love bright green hillsides
more flowers
more flowers
image lake had a few parties camped there. we selected an established campsite due S of the lake, set up, and headed to the N side of the lake for obligatory, and rightfully so, views of YES! peak. is there any more perfect alpine lake than this?
well maintained sign
well maintained sign
a little different this time without the snow
a little different this time without the snow
for a change, swimming actually lasted more than 10 seconds. probably 5 minutes here. it should be noted that signs around the lake prohibit swimming when the inlet streams dry up. fortunately, this was not the case during our visit. a few bugs hung around as hotpantz read lord of the rings to us, but pretty minimal given the time of year.
splish splash i was taking a bath
splish splash i was taking a bath
a good stretch at image lake
a good stretch at image lake
the horizon is on fire
the horizon is on fire
day 3 starting to venture into more remote places now, we followed the trail back from camp to the junction with the canyon lake trail. the aptly oriented sign indicates a lack of maintenance. meanwhile, the morning inversion created just a wonderful environment. perhaps second in my book to flower shows are inversions (caveats include: being above them, short in duration, and not obscuring the views you really want).
morning inversion at image lake
morning inversion at image lake
morning light on YES! peak
morning light on YES! peak
blue streak in the sky
blue streak in the sky
green reflections
green reflections
great sky reflection
great sky reflection
green hills
green hills
rising above the clouds
rising above the clouds
last look at image lake
last look at image lake
more miserable trail to walk
more miserable trail to walk
up and over miners pass we went, following the trail that was visible from plummer. some rocks and branches here and there, but for the most part, excellent tread. a few low angled snow patches presented no difficulty, but earlier in the year, expect a lot of lingering snow with steeper slopes.
surveying the route to canyon lake
surveying the route to canyon lake
walking the N side of plummer was impressive. what was a moderate sloped, flowered hillside on the S, was steep, scoured cliffbands on the N. this would be the pattern for most of the areas we traveled on this trip. reaching the middle fork of canyon creek (coming off of sitting bull), we dropped packs and sat and enjoyed the splendor. this is a fine setting. mossy creek. waterfalls above. impossing mountains in most directions. flowers everywhere. all that's missing is a nice campsite. i'm sure there's one nearby, but we weren't camping here this evening so we didn't spend time looking.
smiling lupines
smiling lupines
spidery pink and purple lupines
spidery pink and purple lupines
a few large trees
a few large trees
approaching sitting bull basin
approaching sitting bull basin
we headed up the N side of the creek, aiming for a gap between the pointy mountain in the foreground (R) and the flatter topped peak in the background (L) which is the true summit. half way up the 2200' climb, snow at the saddle started screaming crampons. a smarter person would have gone down to get them; i, on the other hand, thought axes would suffice. up we continued.
sitting bull, centered, from below
sitting bull, centered, from below
just way too many flowers again
just way too many flowers again
another beautiful mossy section near a creek
another beautiful mossy section near a creek
the snow at the saddle was indeed firm, and it steepened to perhaps to 30 degrees above us. solo, i would have done this without pons, but as a group, i thought it too risky. instead, we tried to sniff out a scramble route on climber's right. several hundred feet of class 3 and a little class 4 on loose stuff caused the group to want to bail. next time i suppose. i was at the point where i could see the ridge and that it would have gone, but keeping us all together seemed wisest.
testing out the moat
testing out the moat
let's try the right edge instead
let's try the right edge instead
view looking towards the summit of sitting bull
view looking towards the summit of sitting bull
down we went. back through the wonderful flowers on the steep terrain. i was bummed and actually thought about grabbing the crampons and going back up. logic got the better of me and we continued on.
retreating
retreating
back down through the flowers
back down through the flowers
and some bright green fields
and some bright green fields
more steep
more steep
great clouds on sitting bull
great clouds on sitting bull
from the creek, the trails enters a nice forest. we did our part to completely remove all branches and small logs. there are still dozens of large ones left, but none bigger than 2ft diameter. at one point, windfall and/or avi debris completely covers the trail. it's easy enough to regain, but it's a shame to lose such a nice tread. a little TLC on this trail could go a long way (WTA???).
random flower in a tree
random flower in a tree
pressing on towards canyon lake
pressing on towards canyon lake
where the trail starts to go bad
where the trail starts to go bad
the result of clearing the trail
the result of clearing the trail
the trail plateaus through a nice flowered area with white granite slabs. then it plunges to canyon lake. maybe my legs aren't in shape, but this felt a bit steep.
a segregated field of lupine and mouse on a stick
a segregated field of lupine and mouse on a stick
a bump with lots of lupine below
a bump with lots of lupine below
canyon lake, almost in sight
canyon lake, almost in sight
totem pass
totem pass
canyon lake was a great stopping place between the creek and totem pass. we all took a nice swim and i was even able to air dry before putting the pack back on. the lake is completely melted out, though some snow holds on the slopes at the far end. lots of jumping fish.
totem pass, bannock mtn, and canyon lake
totem pass, bannock mtn, and canyon lake
canyon lake
canyon lake
cornucopia of colors
cornucopia of colors
looks good for a swim
looks good for a swim
we crossed the outlet of the lake and followed a convenient animal trail. the trail appeared to trend toward the ridge S of pt 7078, so we jumped off and headed up the steep, flowered slopes to totem pass. a snow finger at the top confirmed we were in the right spot as we spotted it the previous day from plummer. there's running water on boths sides of the pass within minutes from it.
crossing canyon lake outlet
crossing canyon lake outlet
what a gloriously green gem
what a gloriously green gem
totem pass in the near future
totem pass in the near future
happy times
happy times
i dropped to the N side of the pass to take a look at the route ahead. beautiful. i could only wait 'til the next day. there's room at the saddle for probably 5 tents, but we opted for a grassy bench at 6600ft E of the pass. i don't think there's a finer campspot than this. totem pass itself is completely wonderful. the sharp N faces of all the peaks on its ridge are incredible. and again, the contrast with the generally flowered slopes to the S is so striking.
north face of pt 7078
north face of pt 7078
hanging at totem pass, looking south
hanging at totem pass, looking south
dome, sinister, and the hanging gardens!
dome, sinister, and the hanging gardens!
this night, we tapped into our second alcohol source - black death, from iceland. it was palatable by itself, but worked quite well as a mixer with hot chocolate.
fading light on dome and sinister
fading light on dome and sinister
dinner time at totem pass
dinner time at totem pass
alpenglow on kololo and YES! peak
alpenglow on kololo and YES! peak

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 1:35 pm 
day 4 today was the day. the day of whether we could find a way around to bannock lakes. the day we would reach the hanging gardens. such potential for highs and lows. times like this make me quite nervous, though very silently and internalized. no matter what, we would make it to the hanging gardens; if we had to turn back, i would have been okay with it.
looking back towards plummer and miners ridge
looking back towards plummer and miners ridge
breakfast
breakfast
taking in the views
taking in the views
still enjoying breakfast
still enjoying breakfast
another inversion, this time to the N
another inversion, this time to the N
but, before all that, we headed up bannock staying entirely on the SE side of the ridge. a little scrambly in spots, but mostly it was just steep sidehilling, to which we were well accustomed by this point in the trip. views from the top showed all four of the bannock lakes with the hanging gardens sitting happily at the edge of today's inversion layer.
heading up towards bannock
heading up towards bannock
steep sidehilling
steep sidehilling
bannock, false summit
bannock, false summit
dome and sinister with the hanging gardens in the inversion
dome and sinister with the hanging gardens in the inversion
making our way up with bath lakes HR behind and to the right
making our way up with bath lakes HR behind and to the right
chillin on bannock
chillin on bannock
all four bannock lakes
all four bannock lakes
bath lakes HR
bath lakes HR
hotbro and dome
hotbro and dome
back down to camp where the family of goats had scampered through the previous night (amazing what they can climb down) and off we went.
looking back at camp
looking back at camp
some snow from the saddle, but only for a few minutes. then it's wonderful fields of flowers, white slabs, and big playful boulders. oh, don't forget the slab waterfalls where my ashes will someday be placed. this place had it all. and best of all --- it involved virtually no gain or loss of elevation!
descending from totem pass
descending from totem pass
bubbling slab creek
bubbling slab creek
leave my ashes here, please
leave my ashes here, please
great slab waterfall in front of the hanging gardens
great slab waterfall in front of the hanging gardens
traversing to hanging gardens, looking back at bath lakes HR
traversing to hanging gardens, looking back at bath lakes HR
all too soon, we were nearing ross pass. despite my attempt to sit at the slab waterfall for as long as i could, we had to press on. flowers, everywhere. marmots, everywhere. dome and sinister, in your face. itswoot ridge, spire point, buckindy traverse, all of it, right there. wow. and, the most surprising delight? looking back at totem pass and the bath lakes HR. rugged!
hanging gardens getting tangibly close
hanging gardens getting tangibly close
lupines, clouds, and dome
lupines, clouds, and dome
minutes away now
minutes away now
descending a waterfall slab
descending a waterfall slab
the perfect bathing spot
the perfect bathing spot
we dropped packs at the gap just before ross pass - a better spot to descend, as it turns out. then walked over to the gardens. they were everything i had anticipated, and more. lot of little bumps, like you were in a mario brothers game. a few tarns, some melted, some not. and upfront views of dome and sinister, both imposing their individual massive granite wills on the surroundings.
bumpy hanging gardens
bumpy hanging gardens
flowers in the garden
flowers in the garden
looking back towards bath lakes HR
looking back towards bath lakes HR
garden-like yet?
garden-like yet?
umm, yep
umm, yep
hiking through the hellebore
hiking through the hellebore
entering the gardens
entering the gardens
we explored. ate lunch. reveled. relaxed. i went up to the high point of the gardens (6522) but somehow found no register smile.gif. what i did find, however, were completely ripe huckleberries.
miserable spot for a lunch
miserable spot for a lunch
happy pose in a happy place
happy pose in a happy place
as nice a tarn as i can picture
as nice a tarn as i can picture
pretty sweet tarn with views of dome and sinister
pretty sweet tarn with views of dome and sinister
looking towards bonanza, saddle bow, and our route to get into bannock lakes
looking towards bonanza, saddle bow, and our route to get into bannock lakes
flowers and granite giants
flowers and granite giants
wow!
wow!
while we were there for over an hour, i felt like i could stay there a week. lots to explore and enjoy. but, we needed to get through the unknown portion of the trip - down to bannock lakes. from pt 6522, i could get a good view of what lay ahead. combining that with a picture taken by admin tom in 2006 during a lake bagging trip to the bannocks, i was fairly certain it would go. down from ross pass we went. we followed snow where we could (soft, no crampons), and traversed a couple steep grass sections that had me wishing for crampons. eventually, a talus slope that was surprisingly stable took us over the relatively broad ridge due W of lake 5324.
the shelf we took to access bannock lakes
the shelf we took to access bannock lakes
working towards the shelf
working towards the shelf
pretty little star flowers
pretty little star flowers
that wasn't so bad
that wasn't so bad
from here, it was either steep grassy slopes down through the trees, or down the stream/waterfall. the stream seemed obvious as we could see all the terrain down to the lakes. the trees might have hid some slabby cliffbands. this entire area on the N side of bannock mountain is steep. i would love to view it from the N. so, down the creek we go. quite steep with a few holdless slabs thrown in there. fortunately, we're all 6ft or taller, so we could butt scoot them without too much duress. some boot skiing near the bottom at the lake sealed the deal. the loop would work.
steep descent down to bannock lakes
steep descent down to bannock lakes
lower bannock lakes
lower bannock lakes
our descent creek
our descent creek
first, negotiating some slabs
first, negotiating some slabs
life flourishing near the creek
life flourishing near the creek
down we goeth
down we goeth
another horrible spot to have to hike through
another horrible spot to have to hike through
nothing like an accent slab for the flowers
nothing like an accent slab for the flowers
our route followed the dark green line left of center
our route followed the dark green line left of center
sadly, the clouds from the inversion were in full effect now. these lower lakes, shrouded by glaciers and permanent snowfields, were not the most inviting, so we pressed on towards upper bannock lakes.
crossing the bannock lake outlet
raise your arms if you're sure
raise your arms if you're sure
a floater
a floater
we could see this odd reflection from way high above
we could see this odd reflection from way high above
there are a ton of larch trees near the lakes. i think this is a truly fine spot come larch season, though it does take some effort to get there. the way the lakes steps down to the next lower one reminded me of the idaho sawtooths.
a rock in a hard place
a rock in a hard place
old fallen tree
old fallen tree
i wonder if we can find somewhere to camp
i wonder if we can find somewhere to camp
upper bannock outlet
upper bannock outlet
larches in the mist
larches in the mist
upper bannock outlet
upper bannock outlet
stream crossing with a prayer flag
stream crossing with a prayer flag
upper bannock
upper bannock
at the upper lake, we found an established campsite and called it good. it was the coldest night and coldest lake we swam in. more hot chocolate and black death.
pretty nice campsite
pretty nice campsite
upper bannock
upper bannock
day 5 we woke up to grey skies that did not appear set to break. bummer, today was going to be the day for saddle bow mountain - the peak i most wanted on this trip. i know of no one that's climbed it (if you have, please PM me).
upper bannocks
upper bannocks
instead, we pressed on over the saddle to the S of saddle bow. we followed a little spur ridge for a bit, taking our time to enjoy watching a deer eat away at the flowers. then down. lots of down. around 5400', we tossed on the crampons for some steep duff decending to the PCT. ironically, the PCT was the only buggy section for the past 3 days.
now down to the pct
now down to the pct
she wasn't the least bit concerned of our presence
she wasn't the least bit concerned of our presence
soon the sky broke and i regreted, even more, not sticking around for an attempt on saddle bow. oh well. i knew the rest of the trip would get back "on schedule." we followed the PCT to the junction with the cloudy pass cutoff trail. the views of the NE sides of sitting bull and plummer are quite impressive. water was plentiful at agnes creek where we lunched and spotted our first fellow humans since image lake.
a fun house bridge
a fun house bridge
back side of sitting bull from PCT
back side of sitting bull from PCT
onward to cloudy pass, we dropped packs and followed the trail to cloudy's SE ridge. we climbed up from there through more fields of flowers, with lyman lakes in the distance. quite stellar terrain. some fun class 3 stuff on the summit. it was pretty cool to be in a spot that looked over most of our route those previous 4 days.
lyman lakes from cloudy pass
lyman lakes from cloudy pass
cloudy peak
cloudy peak
more brilliant meadows en route to cloudy peak from cloudy pass
more brilliant meadows en route to cloudy peak from cloudy pass
again, not very afraid
again, not very afraid
nor was his younger friend
nor was his younger friend
lyman lakes
lyman lakes
photoshopped? nah. this is real.
photoshopped? nah. this is real.
nearing the summit of cloudy
we dropped along the ridge until we found a spot to enter towards north star. some large boulders and several snowfields took us to the false summit. we stayed on the W side and scrambled some more class 2/3 stuff to the summit. in your face views of bonzana. saddle bow seemed far away now frown.gif.
coming around north star's false summit
coming around north star's false summit
a ledge on north star
a ledge on north star
bonanza from north star, where steph was climbing only minutes earlier
bonanza from north star, where steph was climbing only minutes earlier
we headed back to the packs and made the descent towards lower lyman lake where we claimed a site and went for a swim. surprisingly, the water wasn't too cold, but maybe because the air had a feel of autumn in it. there were ZERO bugs at lyman lakes this evening.
heading back and hoping to make camp before dark
heading back and hoping to make camp before dark
the hills are alive
the hills are alive
my thoughts exactly
my thoughts exactly
heading back towards cloudy pass
heading back towards cloudy pass
down towards the lake
down towards the lake
good night mice
good night mice
day 6 the lakes were nice, reminding hotpantz and me of our patagonian honeymoon. we explored a bit as we headed up to spider gap. the upper lake with the much-smaller-than-expected glacier was my favorite. crampons went on for the icy snow and before we knew it, we were staring down at spider meadows.
chiwawa is happily lit up
chiwawa is happily lit up
lyman lake is nearly perfect
lyman lake is nearly perfect
a little tarn on a side trail
a little tarn on a side trail
beautiful
beautiful
glacier terminus
glacier terminus
upper glacier
upper glacier
so many colors
so many colors
i see why it's so colorful
i see why it's so colorful
a fine rest at upper lyman lake
a fine rest at upper lyman lake
only a little more up for the trip
only a little more up for the trip
we made the mistake of taking the ridge trail instead of just following the snow on the ridge. oh well. lunch at a campsite, then more down. eventually, things became flat and we enjoyed the still blooming flowers and classic U-shape of spider meadows.
coming down from the gap
coming down from the gap
into spider meadows
into spider meadows
a beautiful way to end the trip
a beautiful way to end the trip
brother and sister
brother and sister
before we knew it, we arrived at the windy TH. i went off ahead and followed the road for 1/2 mile until reaching a turnout for horse trailers. i assumed there'd be a trail in here that follows the gentle ridge back to trinity. after some slide alder and small avoidable patches of devils club, sure enough, a trail. some downfall, but really nice travel. it dropped me off at the back end of the trinity TH about 50ft away from the private property sign. no need to hitch a ride for this loop - just take the trail! we stopped at the wenatchee river by the state park and washed up. then hit up the 59er diner where the food keeps getting better. satiated, we returned to seattle and watched touching the void.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 pm 
Sounds like a great trip, iron and co. That Hanging Gardens is a neat place, especially Blue Lake. I look forward to the rest of the saga.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 4:00 pm 
Super cool trip iron. up.gif up.gif You really know how to link them up. Looking forward to pictures.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 4:10 pm 
Nice to read these kind of reports with adventure and exploring involved. Looking forward to the pictures.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 4:44 pm 
Excellent! I've always wanted to visit hanging gardens since reading about it in the Beckey Guide. Looking forward to the pics.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 5:11 pm 
I'm glad your trip went well, too bad about Saddle Bow. Can't wait for the pics in that not very often visited place. Hope to see the meadow pic with 100,000 mouse on sticks

Eric Eames
don b

don b
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 5:51 pm 
most excellent!

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 am 
75 miles and no mention of blisters in 6 days? all three of you are amazing for covering that amount of ground. You sure were in a very pretty area!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am 
i started to get blisters during the first 7 miles of trail. i was using my new crocs which have little grippy nubs under the ball of the foot. not cool. had it not been for them, i probably would have logged 30+ miles on my crocs. hopefully the nubs wear out soon.

iron

iron
PostFri Sep 07, 2012 9:24 am 
pictures finally added to TR! all can be found here: general pictures panos

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Sep 07, 2012 11:53 am 
Epic... up.gif up.gif

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Bright River
goslowgofar

Bright River
goslowgofar
PostFri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 pm 
Wow! thanks for the photos. I believe that this route in part was named and published as PTARMIGAN TRAVERSE SOUTH in the l970s. The Original party came in through Bath Lakes and Canyon Lakes, and exited out through downey Creek after climbing Dome, Spire, Gunsight, and Agnus( new route). they saw nobody for 9 days. I particularily liked the ridge and gardens south of Dome and Plummer peak area. Now I get to see it again. thanks!! did yousee anybody else after you went off trail?

..-and rest thee by many brooks and hearthsides without misgiving. Rise free from care before the dawn and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home. HDT
iron

iron
PostFri Sep 07, 2012 1:18 pm 
between image lake and almost cloudy pass, we saw no one. best part of the trip for sure.

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Sep 07, 2012 1:39 pm 
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Thank you.