Forum Index > Trip Reports > The new Pratt River Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostThu Sep 27, 2012 7:42 pm 
As mtnresqr mentioned in "trail talk", the new Pratt River connector trail is now open for hiking. Naturally, I just had to check it out for myself! The hike from the Gateway Bridge to the Pratt River Valley used to be a two hour ordeal on the old south bank trail, which consisted of pieces of the old North Bend-Goldmeyer pack trail, decaying logging roads, and good old fashioned boot paths. Now the same hike is an easy one hour stroll. The new trail eventually intercepts the old trail coming up from the ford and Halfway House meadow. I continued my hike on the mossy, little-used Old Pratt River Trail. The portion of this trail leading to the old RR grade has been cleared of major logs, but it is still rough. Washed-out, brushy sections will be a continuing maintenance problem here. From the end of the new trail it is a fairly long hike to the RR grade, which I reached about one hour 40 minutes from Gateway Bridge. I followed the railroad grade two or so miles, to the third creek crossing. The second creek tumbles down a deep gorge. The old RR crossed it on a trestle - a few uprights of the former bridge are still visible. The current trail has to climb high to get around the gorge. Hiking on the RR grade is not too difficult, since it has seen sporadic maintenance in past years. There are logs down on the path here and there, and a little brush. I was tempted to hike farther and farther on the endless grade, but after having lunch in a sunny spot by a little waterfall, I figured it was time to turn around. With this new trail in place, a hiker can now reach far into the valley of the Pratt River on day hikes, if one gets an early enough start. Some pics: The first mile of the new trail is quite scenic as it crosses steep granite slopes on blasted out ledges:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Rainy Creek is soon crossed on a new bridge. Just beyond the bridge is the start of the Rainy Lake trail
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
More blasting work:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
This final ledge was also used by the old pack trail:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
A big staircase marks the end of the steep terrain:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
For the next half mile, the new trail utilizes an intact stretch of the old pack trail. Just a mellow walk in the forest:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Beyond a rocky creek bed, the trail goes through rougher terrain - not steep but brushy. Lost in the brush, the path of the old pack trail is not apparent in this section. At the two mile point the trail reaches an old logging road, which it follows all the way to the Pratt River valley. Puncheon bridge over a big mudhole:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
End of the new trail and start of the old Pratt River Trail:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
The mossy tread of the little-used Pratt River Trail:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Thank you trail crews! Log cleared on Pratt River Trail:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Beautiful old second growth forest:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
This sign greets you as you approach the old RR grade. The "big tree" spur trail drops down the slope to a grove of old growth timer near the river. Beyond the sign, the Pratt River trail climbs steeply to get up to the grade:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Decaying ties on the old railroad grade:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Mossy railroad ties:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail
Waterfall along the railroad grade - a good spot to relax:
Pratt River Trail
Pratt River Trail

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 am 
Hey that's awesome Bark. That's going to be some nice "Winter" low land hiking for sure. I forded the Sno one year and hiked up to Tuscohatchie on that bugger. It is long and quite and boring, but nice.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message