Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Washington (Olympics) 9-28-2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Texaco

Texaco
PostSat Sep 29, 2012 4:47 pm 
We awoke in the morning to an amazing sunrise behind the house.
Sunrise
Sunrise
That was all it took to spark my interest, and get my mind to pondering where I might go for a walk in The Park. I headed onto the deck a little later in the morning to an amazingly clear mountain range. Weather reports on Thursday had me expecting low clouds that were supposed to linger into the afternoon, so I had not bothered to get up and out at the crack of dawn for an adventure.
View from the deck
View from the deck
Mt WA from the deck, morning
Mt WA from the deck, morning
Mount Washington has been on the bucket list for quite sometime…no better time than the present. Time to stop putting it off. I gathered what info I had on the peak, loaded a small pack, and jumped in the car for the short 1.5-hour drive around the southern end of Hood Canal.
View from the trail head
View from the trail head
Trail head
Trail head
I was surprised to see that the Mount Ellinor Trail has been closed since early July due to aggressive mountain goats, but thankful that the same was not true for the route up Mount Washington. In typical form I missed the trailhead on the way up. It’s really easy to tell when you’ve gone to far. Just past the trail head the road has been repaired from a huge landslide down the middle fork of Big Creek. Once I backtracked I easily saw the boulder marking the start of the Route 1 trail. Boots on, and pack loaded, I got my late start up the trail by 11:30am. I was probably carrying somewhere around 12 pounds on my back (more than my base weight for the Bailey Range Traverse this year). With no water available on the route, 4 liters sounded like a safe amount of water weight to have on board. The trail through the lower forest reminded me a lot of the Maynard Burn Trail up Baldy on the Grey Wolf. Just add a twist of nastiness in the form of roots, and the occasional boulder scramble. I could tell early on that the challenge on the route would be staying on course, as there are continually “trails” branching off the main route from other sojourners getting off route and back en route (present company included). With the exception of trail sections following atop solid rock, the trail is a very well beaten boot path. If it seems like the trail has gotten faint, you are probably off track. There are a few sections of the trail that were fairly difficult to follow due to blow downs. Thankfully, most of these sections had been marked with flags. The trail seemed to grow increasingly steeper as I neared the only break in the relentless grade: a meadow with dead trees that look like driftwood. The break is short-lived as the trail immediately regains its angle entering the forest once more. Once again the trail was easy to miss as it began to alternate between dry creek beds, and the forest floor. Blow downs are an issue in places, but flagging was typically always available to steer me back to the path.
Lower forest
Lower forest
Lower forest
Lower forest
Lower forest, yes, I'm actually holding the camera level
Lower forest, yes, I'm actually holding the camera level
Meadow
Meadow
Ellinor from meadow in upper forest
Ellinor from meadow in upper forest
Meadow
Meadow
Flagging in forest
Flagging in forest
Forest, view opening up
Forest, view opening up
Forest, view opening up
Forest, view opening up
The next section of the trail follows up a scree slope. At many times on this portion of trail I was losing a half step for every step I took uphill. It was like trying to walk up a pile of ball bearings. Amazingly enough I could still make out the route switch backing uphill.
Lower scree slope before ravine
After slogging up the scree mess I arrived at the first critical divergence in the route. The trail beyond the scree slope leads up to a tight ravine. A pinnacle that rises up above the floor of the basin ahead forms the right side of the ravine. The left side of the ravine is formed by a large round rock formation that ends in a cliff forming the left side of the ravine. The path of least resistance involves taking a trail that starts at the base of the large round rock formation forming the left side of the ravine. I was able to make out a path heading up in this direction that was marked by a cairn. A bit of straightforward scrambling and veggie belay, and I was on top of the left side of the ravine edge. Clear trail on the top this rock formation led straight up to the basin.
Ravine
Ravine
Route to the ravine bypass marked with cairn, gains top of the left side cliff and follows up into basin
Route to the ravine bypass marked with cairn, gains top of the left side cliff and follows up into basin
View from ravine bypass trail
Ravine bypass trail
Ravine bypass trail
Looking back down ravine bypass trail
Looking back down ravine bypass trail
basin
basin
basin
basin
Looking back down at the pinnacle left, ravine bypass trail end at rt
Looking back down at the pinnacle left, ravine bypass trail end at rt
pinnacle
pinnacle
The basin that I entered was smaller than I had pictured. Three trails branched out of the main route when I entered the basin. I had read that all three trails eventually lead to the same spot, but that the middle route was the best option up the mountain.
Basin trails, take the middle one
Basin trails, take the middle one
The trail wound up and to the right of large rock formations at the end of the basin, and then to another scree slope. I could make out a path heading uphill, but on my first pass I missed yet another critical split in the trail. After crossing towards the right side of the scree slope before it gets too steep, I should have been looking for a split in the trail. “Route A” splits off of the scree trail at a point that is also marked by a cairn. This branch of trail looks like an actual meadow trail. It heads up and to the right of cliff bands further uphill, across the right side of another scree slope, switches back towards the cliff bands and eases up an easy Class 2 fault in the cliff bands that is full of trees and roots, and then up to the saddle beside the summit block.
Critical trail split, Route B to Class 4 section at left, Route A to Class 2 trail right, both routes merge just below the saddle below the head wall
Critical trail split, Route B to Class 4 section at left, Route A to Class 2 trail right, both routes merge just below the saddle below the head wall
Nice dirt booth path along Route A
Nice dirt booth path along Route A
Route A follows well beaten trail to a gully where it follows switchbacks toward the right side of the gully then back to the left towards this section that ascends rock, roots, and trees to the saddle
Route A follows well beaten trail to a gully where it follows switchbacks toward the right side of the gully then back to the left towards this section that ascends rock, roots, and trees to the saddle
“Route B,” on the other hand, carries on up past the cairn to the top of the scree slope, and follows up a 50’ section of Class 4 rock thru a break in the cliff bands. Once above the climbing section, this route continues up the right side of a very steep scree slope to another wall of cliffs. On the right side of the slope near the cliff wall there is another cairn marking a clump of trees that you have to work thru in order to find the trail on the other side, leading up to the saddle beside the summit block. Once I had mistakenly arrived at the steep scree slope above the Class 4 section, I did not see the cairn and figured that I had gotten off route. Climbing up the steep section was really no big deal; down climbing it was a nightmare. The solid rock is covered with the equivalent of pea gravel showering down from the scree slope above. Making it down safely, I backtracked to the trail split and cairn that I had missed on my way up, and made the easy trek up Route A to the saddle. [Side note: I was able to connect the dots on Route B on the way down. It is apparently easy to miss Route A on the way down from the summit, and so head off to the crummy down climb on Route B. On my way down I missed Route A, and found myself on Route B which heads thru a clump of trees, finds a cairn on the other side connecting you to the trial right back to where I turned around. I could not believe I would have to down climb this freaking cliff again!]
Upper scree slope heading to trail split, 50ft Class 4 rock section along Route B shown at arrow
Upper scree slope heading to trail split, 50ft Class 4 rock section along Route B shown at arrow
Looking up from Route A, Route B takes you through the tree clump at the top of the rock outcropping, after ascending Class 4 section and a steeper scree slope leading to a rock wall and then bearing right towards these trees
Looking up from Route A, Route B takes you through the tree clump at the top of the rock outcropping, after ascending Class 4 section and a steeper scree slope leading to a rock wall and then bearing right towards these trees
On Route B, after climbing the steep 50' section you ascend a steep scree slope bearing right, scree ends at rock, work right over to this cairn marking the spot to enter this clump of trees, trail continues on other side
On Route B, after climbing the steep 50' section you ascend a steep scree slope bearing right, scree ends at rock, work right over to this cairn marking the spot to enter this clump of trees, trail continues on other side
Ascending up towards saddle
Ascending up towards saddle
View from saddle
View from saddle
View from saddle
View from saddle
View from saddle
View from saddle
View of summit block from saddle
View of summit block from saddle
From the saddle it was pretty straightforward. A cairn marks the trail to the summit. The skinny path follows along the base of the summit block and rises towards the summit ridge on the opposite side. It was very exposed, but the rock was very solid making for very comfortable hand and foot holds. Once on the ridge top I scrambled up to the summit, making it up by 3:00pm (3.5 hours). The views were phenomenal!
Cairn marks narrow trail that circumnavigates summit block towards summit ridge
Cairn marks narrow trail that circumnavigates summit block towards summit ridge
On ridgetop working south towards summit
On ridgetop working south towards summit
summit
summit
Summit shot, Hood Canal, Misery Point left of center
Summit shot, Hood Canal, Misery Point left of center
Summit shot, nose of Washington in foreground
Summit shot, nose of Washington in foreground
Summit shot, Mount Deception and the Grey Wolf, The Brothers
Summit shot, Mount Deception and the Grey Wolf, The Brothers
Summit shot, Mount Pershing in Foreground, Mount Anderson, Mount Stone in background
Summit shot, Mount Pershing in Foreground, Mount Anderson, Mount Stone in background
Summit shot, Mount Ellinor
Summit shot, Mount Ellinor
Summit shot, Mount Stone
Summit shot, Mount Stone
Summit shot, Chimney Peak, Mount Skokomish
Summit shot, Chimney Peak, Mount Skokomish
Summit shot
Summit shot
Summit shot
Summit shot
Summit shot, St Helens
Summit shot, St Helens
Summit shot, nice headlamp
Summit shot, nice headlamp
Summit shot, Mount Deception and company
Summit shot, Mount Deception and company
Summit shot
Summit shot
Summit Panoramic
1 label
Summit Panoramic
Summit Panoramic
1 label
Summit Panoramic
After thirty minutes of enjoying the sights, I signed the register and was on my way down. It is a brutal descent back to the car on this one! What a pounding! I could have definitely done without getting off route, and having to down climb that cliff again but I guess it made for a more complete report! I was back at the car in 2 hours from the summit, and made it back in time for beer and pizza at Silver City!
What the heck is this
What the heck is this
Welcome sight
Welcome sight
Looking back from Union
Looking back from Union
Looking back from my deck
Looking back from my deck

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSat Sep 29, 2012 8:28 pm 
Excellent report with great beta to follow.

onemoremile

onemoremile
PostSat Sep 29, 2012 8:36 pm 
The first thought for that crazy shroom is chicken of the woods, but I'm not sure.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSat Sep 29, 2012 8:39 pm 
Yeah, great detail on what sounds like some tricky route-finding. up.gif You've bumped this peak a couple notches higher on my to-do list.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Sep 29, 2012 9:14 pm 
Nice work and beta via photos. up.gif Washington is a super fun day trip. I had been thinking about a redo recently so thanks for refreshing my memory. We also had a heckuva time staying on route. We did the alternate route you mentioned. It was lots of fun swinging on alder from one ledge to another... rolleyes.gif

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Sep 29, 2012 9:49 pm 
Nice TR, thanks.. I really want to go up Washington but I'm afraid to try it alone. That mushroom is Laetiporus Sulphureus aka "Chicken of the Woods" The road has been repaired? I did not know that.. I was up there earlier this year to do the Jefferson Pass trail and the road was still pretty messed up then.

Texaco

Texaco
PostSun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 am 
Chicken of the Woods...thanks, guys. Yep, road is repaired, Jefferson Pass trail is accessible again. It was a serious job. There is a massive debris pile left over from the work.

HumpnoocheeGirl

HumpnoocheeGirl
PostSun Sep 30, 2012 12:18 pm 
Very nice report up.gif Thank you for the details at the top. I have heard this was a tough beast to navigate. I think this is the most detailed report of Washington I have read. Now, aren't you glad you didn't take too long to think about what to do for the day? wink.gif

Texaco

Texaco
PostMon Oct 01, 2012 7:28 am 
I am glad I didn't think about it too much longer. By the time I was in the car and halfway down the forest road, the automatic headlights flipped on!

Kismet

Kismet
PostTue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 am 
Nice job on Washington. From the parking spot, if you walk a little down the dirt road for a few more minutes, there is a nice waterfall under which you can take a VERY quick dip. Brrr.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Oct 02, 2012 10:45 am 
What a great report/writeup. This beats 90% of what you find on summitpost pages where people "claim" mountains and often give little or no actual information on the routes.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Oct 02, 2012 11:38 am 
tigermn wrote:
This beats 90% of what you find on summitpost pages where people "claim" mountains and often give little or no actual information on the routes.
I think it is funny you make that comment on this thread, as I actually created an informative route page for this peak on SummitPost three years ago due to the lack of useful information provided on the main page or online at that time. Granted, you are correct that many peaks and pages on SummitPost are not very informative regarding approaches. That is an issue, occasionally. UPDATE: I just added a link to this trip report at the bottom of my SummitPost route page. I really like the additional photos and personal details. Great job on the TR, Texaco!!!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Texaco

Texaco
PostTue Oct 02, 2012 12:59 pm 
Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll have to check out summit post...that's a new one to me. It would have been great to have more info on this one beforehand! Thanks for the link!

androolus

androolus
PostTue Oct 02, 2012 3:11 pm 
What? No goats? Where were all the goats? Washington is pretty close to Elinor, but I guess it doesn't get enough urine traffic to attract the agressive goats frown.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 pm 
androolus wrote:
What? No goats? Where were all the goats? Washington is pretty close to Elinor, but I guess it doesn't get enough urine traffic to attract the agressive goats frown.gif
I love this comment, probably because it is very true. Mountain goats are certainly on Mount Washington (I have seen them), but they tend to SWARM the much more popular neighboring Mount Ellinor.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.