Forum Index > Trip Reports > MRNP Sunny Solitary Sunrise Sunday White River Loop 10/7/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Oct 10, 2012 8:31 pm 
Emmons Glacier 
MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Emmons Glacier MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Color for the day. 
MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Color for the day. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
11.4 miles 
3461 feet of elevation gain. 
7421 feet high point. 
4330 feet parking lot. 
7hr 18 m car to car with lunch 
5 hour moving time 
11.4 miles 3461 feet of elevation gain. 7421 feet high point. 4330 feet parking lot. 7hr 18 m car to car with lunch 5 hour moving time MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
11.4 miles 
3461 feet of elevation gain. 
7421 feet high point. 
4330 feet parking lot. 
7hr 18 m car to car with lunch 
5 hour moving time 
11.4 miles 3461 feet of elevation gain. 7421 feet high point. 4330 feet parking lot. 7hr 18 m car to car with lunch 5 hour moving time MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
I hear lots of whining about all the crowds on the trails. I found an easy solution to get near solitude even on a sunny beautiful day. Just find a place with no larches and minimal Fall color and enjoy the peace and quiet instead. agree.gif I had to squeeze in a hike on Sunday, instead of my usual Saturday, and didn't want to drive 7 hours and end up arriving home at 9pm on a night before a tough work week. I used the facilities just inside the Sunrise entrance, all other facilities are closed, and then parked at White River campground, which is closed but open for dayhike parking. Hiking up to Sunrise makes you appreciate the view a lot more than just rolling out of your car to see it. And sets you up for coming down the nice connector trail between 2nd and 3rd Burroughs.
Hike start. 
White River-Sunrise-Burroughs-Glacier basin Loop 10/07/12
Hike start. White River-Sunrise-Burroughs-Glacier basin Loop 10/07/12
Fall seeds 
Fall seeds White River-Sunrise-Burroughs-Glacier basin Loop 10/07/12
Sunrise lodge buttoned up for winter. 
Sunrise lodge buttoned up for winter. White River-Sunrise-Burroughs-Glacier basin Loop 10/07/12
Sunrise meadows, Fall below Sourdough trail. 
Sunrise meadows, Fall below Sourdough trail. White River-Sunrise-Burroughs-Glacier basin Loop 10/07/12
Me and my shadow. 
Me and my shadow. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Timing is everything. 
Timing is everything. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Distant view from Sourdough ridge. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Distant view from Sourdough ridge. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Parking lot view at 10am.  A rare sight to see it that empty. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Parking lot view at 10am. A rare sight to see it that empty. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Frozen lake...not looking very frozen. 
Frozen lake...not looking very frozen. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Then it was time to head up to the Burroughs, with the luxury of sparsely populated trail, in spite of it being fairly late in the morning by then. And no snow to cross anywhere! chickenleg.gif The Burroughs had perfect temps and conditions and everyone was heading for third burroughs....which appeared to be the only place that was a zoo. So I had lunch at a mostly deserted 2nd burroughs... a rare treat. I had to pass on 3rd burroughs, due to timing, and being a bit under the weather, with 3rd making this a 5000 foot elevation gain loop, which was a bit much this day.
Just the facts. 
Just the facts. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
First burrough. 
First burrough. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Pan of 2nd from 1st Burrough. 
Pan of 2nd from 1st Burrough. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Purple haze is in my brain. 
Purple haze is in my brain. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Trail to second Burrough. 
Trail to second Burrough. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Pan from 2nd Burrough. 
Pan from 2nd Burrough. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Or maybe Dale. 
Or maybe Dale. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Chip. 
Chip. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Me at Lunch. 
Me at Lunch. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
The top...up close and personal. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
The top...up close and personal. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
The prow. 
The prow. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Trail to 3rd Burroughs. 
Trail to 3rd Burroughs. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Emmons Glacier. 
Emmons Glacier. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Grand Park looking dry. 
Grand Park looking dry. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Fremont Lookout. 
Fremont Lookout. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Trail down. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Trail down. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Panorama Tween 2nd and 3rd burrough. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Panorama Tween 2nd and 3rd burrough. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Mandatory boot shot. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Mandatory boot shot. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Tween 2nd and 3rd Burroughs. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Tween 2nd and 3rd Burroughs. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
After a long and lingering lunch, which warmed up considerably as I sat there, I headed down to the connector trail between 2nd and 3rd and drops down to the Glacier Basin trail with awesome views of Rainier along the way.
Late season crevasses opening up. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Late season crevasses opening up. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Nasty looking mtn cricket.  By Jiminy! MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Nasty looking mtn cricket. By Jiminy! MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Moonscape view...wait thats the moon up there. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Moonscape view...wait thats the moon up there. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
2nd to Glacier basin connector. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
2nd to Glacier basin connector. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Quiet Fall scene. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Quiet Fall scene. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
A dry Fall. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
A dry Fall. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Contrail over Rainier. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Contrail over Rainier. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Lightly traveled connector trail. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Lightly traveled connector trail. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Pan from below 2nd Burroughs. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Pan from below 2nd Burroughs. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Glacier basin connector. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Glacier basin connector. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
A Bit of color, Glacier basin connector. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
A Bit of color, Glacier basin connector. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Color for the day. 
Color for the day. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Just one area of color. 
Just one area of color. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Mtn meadow 
Mtn meadow MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Lower connector trail. 
Lower connector trail. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Cascade Gold. 
Cascade Gold. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Front row seat, moptop. 
Front row seat, moptop. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
After the million switchbacks of the connector trail, I ambled down the Glacier Basin trail, seeing a few more people than I did the rest of the day, until I did the Emmons Glacier overlook detour, a nice way to top off the day. Although the lighting is better for the Emmons overlook early in the day, the overall loop is better for views going CCW which puts the overlook late in the day.
Green lake. 
Green lake. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Pan of Emmons Glacier. 
Pan of Emmons Glacier. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Moguls on Steroids. 
Moguls on Steroids. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Emmons glacier toe. 
Emmons glacier toe. MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
Emmons Glacier 
Emmons Glacier MRNP, White River campground to Sunrise 2nd Burroughs, to Glacier basin loop 10/07/12
An Awesome last warm day for the year. No larches seen. Very little colorful foliage seen...heck I can see that in my yard anyway. cool.gif Probably the least crowded you will see the Sunrise area on a nice weekend! I would have gotten home earlier, but got stuck in a car conga line with 3 lead vehicles, including an RV, going 35-50 mph in a 55mph zone all the way back to Enumclaw, before I could pass them. (along with the other 30 cars in line.) stats 11.4 miles 3461 feet elevation gain. 7421 feet max elevation 4330 feet parking 7hr 18 min car to car 5 hr moving time.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Oct 10, 2012 10:46 pm 
That's a great idea, to hike up there after Sunrise is closed. Great photos. up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
wolfs

wolfs
PostWed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 pm 
Funny. My family and I utilized that EXACT SAME lunch spot. Also Sunday, but much later in day (4 PM?) Chip and Dale appeared to be harassing a nearby pika who was guarding its haystack, just 25 feet away from those rocks. At that time of day it was Second Burroughs that was a bit of a zoo, probably 15 other people there at same time as us. Thanks for stats on that loop hike. I'd also like to try that sometime when the road up is fully closed. Fall probably better than spring, there are too many places on either of the trails that reach First Burroughs that would be snow covered sidehill in spring. A little too challenging for my wife and kid who don't have ice axe practice. Plus the connector trail is hard to follow in patchy snow with no footsteps to follow (lost it several times uphill once when trying to use it as a way back from a 3rd Burroughs ski descent into Glacier Basin, this was a July a couple years ago.)

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Oct 11, 2012 6:14 am 
Was the road gated at White River up to Sunrise? I notice the web site says the road is closed. I thought it might be open another week with the nice weather we've been having.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 am 
Sunrise was still open, with outhouses being all that was available. See 10am shot of parking lot above. The white river campground areas were barricaded, and bathroom locked, but the road was open to the climber's parking. Claim was loop B Has an outhouse open in campground. I never found it. Oddly, the water was still on in the campground. I saw no one on the Wonderland mole stroll to Sunrise. I only saw one couple on the scenic Burroughs switchbacking connector.

friluftsliv