Forum Index > Trip Reports > BC's BD BP in the High Sierra, 8.28.14-9.2.14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Sep 13, 2014 3:17 pm 
It's that time again, when LDW coincides closely w/my b-day & I feel the urge to do some high elevation backpacking in the Sierras. cool.gif The choices of where to go are limitless, but after some research a couple months ago I decided that the Thousand Island Lake area of the Ansel Adams Wilderness looked pretty cool & perhaps had a good balance between scenic beauty & popularity. DAY 1: SD > Lone Pine (permits) > Silver Lk. CG (7,280') We set off from SD on Thurs. morning & arrived in Lone Pine in the afternoon to pick up permits & an extra bear canister. We already own a canister but given the length of the trip we figured we'd need additional space this time. The visitor center wasn't too crowded yet since we had an early start to the holiday wknd., but there still was a short line. As we waited, a ranger walking around said "You guys look anxious!" Not sure if he was referring to all of us in line, or the 2 of us in particular. In any case, he was probably right! I was anxious to get to the trailhead & see what I was in for. embarassedlaugh.gif Eventually our turn was up, & we spoke w/a ranger behind the counter who was anything but anxious. He calmly explained the rules/regs & a few tidbits about the trail (get an early start, the 1st part of the trail is exposed, etc.). I almost wondered if he'd taken some sort of sedative. His demeanor was the total opposite of a ranger I remembered @ the Mt. St. Helens visitor center, whose intensity over relaying the seriousness of standing too close to the rim made us all feel like children under the threat of a spanking. paranoid.gif Yes, good advice worth heeding...yet still....just sayin'. dizzy.gif We continued up the 395, through Bishop & up into the mtns. We turned off @ the June Lk. hwy. loop, passing through a cute li'l village that almost resembled a mini Leavenworth or some other little town that I suspected was mostly tourist-driven. We reached Silver Lake Campground, picked out a site, & paid the fee. Sunset rolled near so we got set up & made dinner. The campground appeared fairly full but we still managed to secure a spot w/empty spaces on either side. The Rush Creek Trailhead, where we'd be starting our hike the next morning, is conveniently located right across the highway from the CG. up.gif
Silver Lk. campsite
Silver Lk. campsite
We settled in for the night, & thankfully the RVs shut off their generators @ 10pm & there were no late-night party peeps or annoying boy scout groups, etc. DAY 2: Rush Creek TH > Agnew Lake (8,500') > Gem Lake (9,058') > Waugh Lake (9,442') After an evening of car camping to help acclimate to the higher elevation, it was time to set off on foot w/our heavy loads. Behemoth was extra heavy this time...my extra food & clothing for chilly nighttime temps easily made up for the lack of water since we could filter @ the creeks & lakes along the way. We packed up camp, headed across the rd., parked, & stowed away any smelly items we weren't taking w/us into the bear box in the parking lot.
Silver Lk. CG.  Rush Crk. trail goes up through that gap
Silver Lk. CG. Rush Crk. trail goes up through that gap
Alger Creek
Alger Creek
Rush Creek
Rush Creek
Checkin' out the TH sign
Checkin' out the TH sign
TH sign
TH sign
Up the trail we went, the morning sun already baking us a bit. The incline is slight @ 1st, then gets steeper as it approaches the Agnew Lk. outlet. We got some good views back down to Silver Lake.
Silver Lk.
Silver Lk.
SUP Peeps
SUP Peeps
Ansel Adams Wilderness Boundary
Ansel Adams Wilderness Boundary
Soon we reached the cable car tracks, complete w/a warning sign to stay off, lest a cable car come barreling down & take us back to Silver Lake whether we liked it or not. dizzy.gif
Warning sign
Warning sign
Just after the sign, the trail goes up a couple of switchbacks that are reminiscent of the Kendall Katwalk -- an exposed area blasted out of a steep granite slope. In the old days this would've been no big deal, but now stuff like this makes me pause. paranoid.gif After some mental coercion & support from MM, I was able to make it up. up.gif We topped out on a flatter area w/gentler switchbacks through the bushes, eventually reaching Agnew Lk., a pretty little lake hemmed in on 2 sides by steep gravelly slopes & a dam @ the far end.
Agnew Lk. sign
Agnew Lk. sign
Rush Creek Trail aside Agnew Lk.
Rush Creek Trail aside Agnew Lk.
Agnew Lk.
Agnew Lk.
We traversed Agnew's west shore, then climbed a few more semi-exposed switchbacks to reach the saddle overlooking Gem Lk. Here we took a snack break while I searched for some food I thought I had conveniently placed @ the top of the pack but that had somehow disappeared, which caused the deeper search I was hoping to avoid. doh.gif
Gem Lk.
Gem Lk.
Gem Lk. shore
Gem Lk. shore
Gem Lk.
Gem Lk.
We dropped down from the saddle & began a long walk along Gem's north shore. We got to the outlet @ the far end, where MM filtered water before we continued on. We passed Billy Lks., 2 small forested ponds w/a big horse camp nearby.
Billy Lk.
Billy Lk.
Nice meadow near Billy Lks.
Nice meadow near Billy Lks.
Rush Creek
Rush Creek
After a little more climbing & aching muscles, we finally reached the shore of Waugh Lake. This would be our destination for the day.
Waugh Lk.
Waugh Lk.
We walked along the shore a ways, passing one camp & then finding a nice little spot up the slope in a flat area protected by some trees w/a screened view of the lake. Perfect. up.gif We set up the tent, filtered more water, took sunset pics, & made dinner. We settled in for the night & listened to the slight breeze rustling the ground cloth before slipping into a pleasant sleep.
Mt. Davis (12,303':) @ sunset
Mt. Davis (12,303') @ sunset
Cool clouds
Cool clouds
DAY 3: Waugh Lake > Weber Lakes (9,960') For most of this day we relaxed around camp, contemplating our next move. MM wasn't feeling well for awhile - stricken w/headache & stomach pain - mostly likely altitude sickness. frown.gif
Waugh Lk. camp
Waugh Lk. camp
Rodgers Pk. (12,978':) & others
Rodgers Pk. (12,978') & others
Eventually it subsided & we packed up camp & made the short trip up to Weber Lakes -- little alpine gems tucked in between some granite walls.
Waugh Lk.
Waugh Lk.
Donohue Pk. (12,023':) & Mt. Andrea Lawrence
Donohue Pk. (12,023') & Mt. Andrea Lawrence
The trail to Weber Lakes looked on the map like it might be brutal, but it turned out to be some nice steady switchbacks through the trees. As we topped out & got to the 1st lake, suddenly a super insecure unleashed dog flew into a rage at the mere fact that we were walking along the trail minding our own business. MM noticed that its owners were camped less than 100' from both the trail & the lake. nono.gif They tried to verbally command the dog back into camp, but it chose to ignore them until it had thoroughly annoyed us. We finally stopped, turned, & I said "What the hell??" Bizarre. down.gif If your dog's that insecure, leave it @ home. @ the very least, tie it up when you know it has a habit of ignoring your requests. rolleyes.gif
Weber Lk.
Weber Lk.
Weber Lk.
Weber Lk.
We continued along the lake shore, then hiked a side trail to a secluded little spot in the shelter of trees & well away from the water. We set up camp, filtered, & cooked dinner. Weber Lakes had a nice peaceful feel to it, & aside from the "moronic dog people" we saw only 1 other party on the other side of the lake.
Weber Lk. camp
Weber Lk. camp
Filtering @ Weber Lk.
Filtering @ Weber Lk.
After dinner we enjoyed the stars & hatched a plan for the next day. DAY 4: Weber Lakes > Thousand Island Lake overlook (10,000') > Weber Lakes > Gem Lk. Morning came & we assembled a day pack to go exploring up to a little saddle to the south of Weber. From the map it appeared that we would get a good view of Thousand Island Lake & Banner Peak. cool.gif up.gif As we got ready to go, we suspected that another hiker was passing the dog camp as we heard the same frantic raging. Perhaps this time it was a ranger? tongue.gif We rounded the south shore of the lakes, & walked up a gentle valley, using a natural "ramp" to get us to the saddle.
Weber Lk.
Weber Lk.
Shadows
Shadows
Donohue Pk. & Mt. Andrea Lawrence above Weber Lk.
Donohue Pk. & Mt. Andrea Lawrence above Weber Lk.
Weber Lk.
Weber Lk.
Mt. Andrea Lawrence above Weber Lk.
Mt. Andrea Lawrence above Weber Lk.
Weber Lk. pano
Weber Lk. pano
Easy route up this valley...
Easy route up this valley...
As we neared the saddle, MM pulled ahead. Soon he was waving his arms in encouragement, which I interpreted as "Oh yes, you are going to like this!" A few more steps up &....BAM! Banner Pk. in your face. eek.gif
Banner Pk. reflection
Banner Pk. reflection
There was a little pond full of tiny frogs. wub.gif
Frog
Frog
Frog
Frog
We walked a little further over, then Thousand Island Lake came into view. cool.gif up.gif
Banner Pk. above Thousand Island Lk.
1 label
Banner Pk./1K Is. Lk. Pano
5 labels
Rodgers Pk. (12,978':)
Rodgers Pk. (12,978')
Zoom of Mt. Davis (12,303':)
Zoom of Mt. Davis (12,303')
Cliffs above 1K Is. Lk.
Cliffs above 1K Is. Lk.
Zoom of islands
Zoom of islands
Zoom of Banner Pk. (12,936':)
Zoom of Banner Pk. (12,936')
Rodgers Pk. & others
Rodgers Pk. & others
Map of area
1 label
Map of area
Emerald Lk. to the SE
Emerald Lk. to the SE
Banner Pk. & Thousand Is. Lk.
Banner Pk. & Thousand Is. Lk.
San Joaquin Mtn. (11,600':) & Two Teats
San Joaquin Mtn. (11,600') & Two Teats
MM above the NE end of 1K Is. Lk.
MM above the NE end of 1K Is. Lk.
Islands
Islands
Zoom of Emerald Lk.
Zoom of Emerald Lk.
2 Teats
2 Teats
We spent awhile soaking in the views, & I managed to send a pic text to those unfortunate peeps back home that were missing out. hockeygrin.gif We walked down the slope toward the PCT in order to see the full length of the lake, then headed back up & over the saddle back down to Weber.
Weber Lks.
Weber Lks.
Looks good for a swim
Looks good for a swim
We packed up camp & filtered a little more water before moving on down to the main trail.
Filtering @ Weber Lk.
Filtering @ Weber Lk.
Sunlit trees
Sunlit trees
The other part of Weber Lks.
The other part of Weber Lks.
On the forested switchbacks, MM spotted a deer in the distance.
Deer
Deer
We crossed Waugh's outlet & hit the main trail. We came across a solo male backpacker coming from Waugh who considered going to Weber, but ultimately decided he didn't have time so headed in the direction of Gem. If he was planning to hike ALL the way out that day, then yeah, he definitely didn't have time as it was already late afternoon.
Rush Creek
Rush Creek
Afternoon light on cliffs
Afternoon light on cliffs
We reached Billy Lks. again, then hiked a little further to find a secluded, wind-sheltered spot high above Gem in a flat area between Billy & Gem.
Campsite between Billy & Gem
Campsite between Billy & Gem
I was super tired & ready to set up camp & eat. After dinner we climbed up the little hill above camp & looked down upon the expanse of Gem Lk. We could hear some voices in the distance, & for one moment I spotted a headlamp by the trail @ the far end of the lake. Perhaps it was that one guy still trying to hike out...or a latecomer. DAY 5: Gem Lake > Agnew Lake > Silver Lake > Mammoth > Lone Pine The last day of the backpacking portion of our trip. frown.gif The biggest challenge for me would be making it back DOWN those sketchy switchbacks. I had some reassurance knowing that I can usually go down something easier than going up, plus, I had a worse trail to compare it to. Looking across Agnew Lake one can see the "trail" coming down from Spooky Meadow. Spooky indeed. eek.gif
Gem Lk. in morning light
Gem Lk. in morning light
Filtering by Gem Lk.
Filtering by Gem Lk.
What a Gem
What a Gem
Gnarly
Gnarly
Dam @ east end of Gem
Dam @ east end of Gem
Sketchy trail across the way
1 label
Sketchy trail across the way
Last look @ Gem
Last look @ Gem
Hello again, Agnew
Hello again, Agnew
By focusing on the trail immediately ahead of me & turning the rim of my hat down as a blinder, I managed to make it down w/o too much worry. I even managed to take a few pics mid-sketch...
Cliffy part of trail
Cliffy part of trail
Trail along the cliffs
Trail along the cliffs
Trail along the cliffs
Trail along the cliffs
Looking back @ Kendall Katwalk-like section
Looking back @ Kendall Katwalk-like section
Back to the cable tracks...which, btw, we saw some dumbasses walking along. I guess they figured that since it was Labor Day, no one would be working & sending down the cart. dizzy.gif
Looking up the tracks
Looking up the tracks
Looking down the tracks
Looking down the tracks
Silver Lk.
Silver Lk.
Silver Lk.
Silver Lk.
Cliffs above
Cliffs above
After a long warm slog we made it back to the car by early afternoon. We picked up our stuff in the bear box & peeled off sweaty clothes. We said goodbye to the Silver Lk. area & started our drive south, 1st stopping @ a place that had a big advertisement for milkshakes that MM couldn't resist. wink.gif We traveled on down 395, & turned off for Mammoth, figuring we might make a quick visit to Devils Postpile N.M. I'd heard of Mammoth as being some great skiing/snowboarding destination so thought maybe it wouldn't be mobbed in summer. NOT! The place was a mess. In any case we took some pics from their viewpoint, but would pass on Devils Postpile since it appeared you have to take a shuttle into the place & it was already late afternoon. We thought it best to make a separate trip out of it, when we had more info & a good plan ahead of time. smile.gif
Ritter Range
Ritter Range
Ritter Range
Ritter Range
View NW
View NW
View NW
View NW
Mt. Ritter (13,143':) & Banner Pk. (12,936':)
Mt. Ritter (13,143') & Banner Pk. (12,936')
Sign @ Minaret viewpoint
Sign @ Minaret viewpoint
View east
View east
Mammoth Mtn.
Mammoth Mtn.
We moved on down to Bishop, where MM had spotted a couple of Mexican restaurants during the drive in. Bonus points when the trip can be topped off by a couple of cold margaritas! hockeygrin.gif up.gif
Margaritas in Bishop
Margaritas in Bishop
With full bellies we continued on down to Lone Pine to dump off our bear canister in their after-hours drop off bin. Then, car camping @ Alabama Hills. up.gif DAY 6: Alabama Hills (Lone Pine) > SD Boo hoo, last day. But, there is something to be said about getting back to town @ a reasonable hour, w/a nice backpacking trip under our belts. We awoke early & enjoyed sunrise on Mt. Whitney. & no trip is complete w/o a penis rock sighting. tongue.gif up.gif
Mt. Whitney @ sunrise
Mt. Whitney @ sunrise
Mt. Whitney @ sunrise
Mt. Whitney @ sunrise
Pink glow
Pink glow
Camp @ Alabama Hills
Camp @ Alabama Hills
Leaving camp
Leaving camp
Penis rock
Penis rock
We had b'fast @ The Grill in LP, then hit up the Visitor Center once more. We were less "anxious" this time as we perused the books & maps. I saw a really cool, spiral-bound topo atlas of the Inyo NF & showed it to MM. He decided to buy it for me as an early (still 2 days away) b-day gift. Score! hockeygrin.gif up.gif candles.gif gift.gif
Classic Mt. Whitney photo from the Lone Pine Visitor Center
Classic Mt. Whitney photo from the Lone Pine Visitor Center

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 13, 2014 4:34 pm 
penis rock and teats! score! well done! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Sep 13, 2014 4:37 pm 
And margaritas! winksmile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Sep 13, 2014 9:17 pm 
What a nice birthday/holiday trip! up.gif up.gif Great write up, BC, as well as lovely pictures. The Sierra are calling me.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 14, 2014 7:00 pm 
Looks like a nice trip. That's a nice alternate way to get up there skipping the bus ride from Mammoth Ski area, I did it that way one time. Yeah, that is an incredible view of Banner up there. Nice job throwing in the Alabama Hills as well.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 pm 
Yeah, when we were getting the permits, the ranger sounded a little surprised that we were coming in via Rush Creek rather than the High Trail, so I got the idea that a lot of peeps must come in via Mammoth/Agnew Meadows... smile.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 6:59 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Yeah, when we were getting the permits, the ranger sounded a little surprised that we were coming in via Rush Creek rather than the High Trail, so I got the idea that a lot of peeps must come in via Mammoth/Agnew Meadows... smile.gif
It was entirely by accident when I did it because the road to Agnew Meadows wasn't opened yet that year (it was some time in June). Rush Creek is probably a nicer approach, although probably longer? More varied terrain and greener/shadier. Going via Agnew Meadows is a lot of hot and dry and having the sun pounding down on you and the terrain isn't real interesting until you get to the lake.