Forum Index > Trip Reports > Brothers Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 am 
My first backpacking trip in 5 years, not counting the 1/2 mile trip I took with my 8 year old this summer. I wanted to climb the Brothers but I was too sick and too tired. I still had a great trip and I hiked better then I did the last time in spite of being sick and being five years older. I walked to the Brothers basecamp on day one. Lena Lake was very low and there were only two other cars at the trail head.
Lena mud puddle
Lena mud puddle
Hericium
Hericium
8-two-hericium-one-one-log
8-two-hericium-one-one-log
pack-at-lunch-rock
pack-at-lunch-rock
squirrel-eaten-bolete
squirrel-eaten-bolete
squirrel-eaten-top-of-shroom
squirrel-eaten-top-of-shroom
Mushroom, mushroom
Mushroom, mushroom
I did not sleep much at basecamp the first night due to all the animals in the woods. I was the only one staying in the basecamp that night, but it's not the first time I've been all alone in the woods. Voles, woodpeckers, and things that go bump in the night kept me awake. I also had nightmares about Rangers trying to drag my tent away with me in it.
My tent in the moonlight
My tent in the moonlight
Things that go bump in the night
Things that go bump in the night
When daylight came I got up and started my hike up the Brothers. I made it to 4,700 feet and then turned around. I was tired and suffering from a sinus infection but, it was still a nice little hike. I went back to camp and had a nice dinner of home dehydrated pasta with hamburger tomato sauce and wild mushrooms. Cooked with my pop can stove.
scree-and-rock
scree-and-rock
This is not the summit
This is not the summit
Ravine route
Ravine route
waterfall-rock
waterfall-rock
where-I-turned-around
where-I-turned-around
Lost lonely cairn
Lost lonely cairn
Night two I slept a little better with other folks staying in the campground and knowing what some of the forest noises were. Still I was startled awake by a vole in my tent and then later something running across the river and knocking gravel off the bank. I also woke up a few time because I was sore. On the second morning I hiked back to my car. The Lower Lena trail head was packed with cars and the campground was packed with the usual noisy Lena Lake campers. People were having campfires at Lena Lake. I'm really glad that I made it out, even though I did not make my goal.
tea-at-lena-on-way-up
tea-at-lena-on-way-up
camp
camp
More pictures and details on my blog: http://tinyurl.com/8ru8ycv
dusty-torn-boot
dusty-torn-boot
hericium-for-dinner
hericium-for-dinner

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message