Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is your Check Engine light on?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Is your Check Engine light on?
Why yes, it is. Funny you should ask!
52%
 52%  [ 46 ]
No, absolutely not.
47%
 47%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 87

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostFri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 pm 
Grinch wrote:
My check engine light in my Ford Ranger has been on for about 8 years, never had it checked, never had any problems. I'm hoping the bulb burns out soon
Mine finally burned out. Truck gets the advertised mileage and performance even with the light on, so, who cares ? It's only when that suckers blinking that its important anyways, and I know when its blinking because truck dont run.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AR

AR
PostFri Oct 12, 2012 7:36 pm 
that damn light...when you get up to 320K on a truck that can be just about one of anything that costs at least $400. I cannot even imagine having to take "any" hybrid vehicle in for service anywhere near that mileage in the future. Between the cel and the dicks who came up with emissions testing... happymeal.gif

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
AR

AR
PostFri Oct 12, 2012 8:01 pm 
My favorite piece of Washington Communism can be found here... "If you own a Toyota Prius or a Honda Insight you do not need emissions testing." http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/faq.aspx#3 Uh, those have engines too and do break. huh.gif

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
veronika

veronika
PostFri Oct 12, 2012 9:55 pm 

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Badger

Badger
PostFri Oct 12, 2012 10:13 pm 
Mine is- was, always on but I found a way to get it past emissions. Disconnect the battery for a minute and then hook back up. This wipes the codes and clears the logs. Drive for a few miles- try to avg about 45, then go and take test. Mechanic told me to try this- and it worked. Afterwards when it came back on I went and used shucks diagnostic machine/device. Easy to use. Then fixed the problem.

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostFri Oct 12, 2012 10:34 pm 
On my Tacoma I just turn the engine off and then on while holding the trip mileage button in and the light goes off.... crazy.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostMon Oct 15, 2012 7:10 pm 
Never. Being in engineering/science and a former mechanic I can't stand little red lights that say something is wrong... gotta fix it. It's like seeing a little piece of black something on a perfectly white wall irked.gif

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Oct 15, 2012 9:25 pm 
Mine's been coming on/going off periodically for at least a yr. Now it's been on awhile so I guess the ol' loosen/tighten gas cap thing no longer works. confused.gif Btw thanks for reminding me that my tabs are due next wk. up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 pm 
ya know, this thread reminded me to get my car to the garage for an oil change. the appointment is tomorrow. so thank you all for your constant additions to this thread. and my response to the original question? no, never. the check engine light is one that remains off, and should be off, the moment a car has started.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostMon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 pm 
markh752 wrote:
I voted Yes It Is, simply because it's still on despite fixing the problem months ago. I should probably have the memory cleared in case another problem pops up. hockeygrin.gif
I should clarify my particular situation: (short version) the CEL was on, I went to my brother, he used the computer doohickey, CEL went out, 5 miles later CEL lit up, fixed said problem, CEL still on. I should probably have him clear the code. On the other hand, my pickup has not shown a CEL despite having a bad radiator, AIC, thermostat, intake gasket, air bags, fuel shut off and fuel pump. I do know the CEL works since on the occasion that I drive more than 3000 miles between oil changes, the CEL will not turn off until I change the oil!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 16, 2012 1:32 am 
Bunpoh wrote:
We have a 2005 Diesel Jeep Liberty. The Check Engine light has been on since 6 months after we got the truck (it was used but only had 25K on it, we got it for a steal from the Green Car Company.) It's a well-documented problem with the EGR sensor in the CRD Libertys. Most people, after having replaced the damned thing 4 times or more, basically give up and get used to ignoring the light permanently. It's now my little glowing friend. We pass emissions with flying colors, so I don't believe they flunk you if your CEL is on. They did, in fact, stick their junk up the tailpipe and all, last time I did it. If you're flunking, it's more than likely that it's the faulty O2 sensor scenario, or something like that. The Jeep Liberty CRD engines, other than that little problem, are sweet as pie, except being a little harder to start on cold mornings (due to faulty EGR sensor.) That things HAULS up mountains and does well on bad roads, in the snow, etc.
Unplug the dang thing. Thats what I did. You dont want that crap going back through your intake anyway.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire

LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire
PostTue Oct 16, 2012 12:52 pm 
I have a 2003 Ford Escape, and it runs fine but I had this odd light blink randomly within minutes of starting my engine, then stay on. I finally read my manual and found that they want me to "check, service, and/or replace the airbag system". I'm living on Maruchan Cup'o'Noodles and Gatorade for lunches. Yeah, I'll get on that potential several thousand dollar repair right away.... Now, when my car came up for the cruise control and acceleration cable recall, I got it right in - totally not saying I won't ever take the damn thing in and get it fixed. I figure I haven't had an airbag explode in my face for a year, it can wait until tax time when I can afford the shop cost.

"We have one chance, one chance, to get everything right. We have one chance, one chance, and if we're lucky we might." One Chance, Modest Mouse
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Oct 16, 2012 2:06 pm 
Well, if the light is on, something is wrong. In most cases it's emissions related so it'll have little effect on how it runs, or fuel economy, or the life of the vehicle, or pretty much anything. But you should know that if the light is on you are probably spewing millions of particles of pollutants into the air we breath daily, contributing to cancers, global warming, high taxes, and even more regulations and lights on my damn car!!!

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Oct 17, 2012 4:30 am 
Schenk wrote:
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the Check Engine Light and "codes". If you have a CEL on it means that one or more sensors are reading out of normal range...it DOES NOT necessarily mean that a particular sensor is bad/defective, but sometimes that is the case. Most often there is an underlying cause, or causes, not related directly to the actual sensor but are creating a condition where the sensor goes out of range (vacuum leaks, clogged filters, loose timing belts, faulty spark plugs, bad EGR valve, etc, etc,). The idea this is a bunch of baloney and is a cash cow for repair shops is because it seems like 90% of the so called "techs" out there don't know WTF they are doing and just start replacing sensors. Even the dealerships can blow it and go on a fishing trip at the owners expense until they accidentally stumble on the cause. It is tough to find a good tech who knows how to research and diagnose correctly the first time. Sometimes the more expensive shop ends up being the least expensive because they get it correct the first time.
hit the nail on the f*****g head dead-center... i love to work on cars, trucks, buses, boats etc.... good auto techs who know what they are doing are very rare these days. in fact, most of the people working in automotive these days are installers, not technicians.... and many of them are ase certified master techs! i got out of automotive repair for several reasons, but mostly because a good tech who knows his/her job gets very little respect from their employer. employers rate their techs based on how much money they bring in. diagnosing a weird problem takes time and some creativity, time is money, and lots of time with no sales means no money... and employers love money... however, if you add on a ton of other services for no reason (filters, gaskets, sparkplugs, wiper blades etc...) you now have some money to maybe diagnose the actual problem. sensors are easy to sell, because people are somewhat mystified by them, and don't really understand what they do. so, i'm in limbo...... a professional auto tech who makes better money with a lot less hassle working in a different field, and i don't have to deal with angry customers anymore smile.gif as far as the "check engine" light goes, if your vehicle is obdii compliant and the light is on, you do have a real problem that must be dealt with as soon as possible. older american vehicles from around 1999 or older have a habit of throwing out all sorts of trouble codes that are meaningless most of the time. o2 sensors rarely fail by themselves, it is usually contamination from silicone-based gasket sealant or lead that kills them.

touron

touron
PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:34 pm 
mad.gif Today it finally turned back on again, after driving about 2 miles at 40 mph.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.