Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is your Check Engine light on?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Is your Check Engine light on?
Why yes, it is. Funny you should ask!
52%
 52%  [ 46 ]
No, absolutely not.
47%
 47%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 87

AR

AR
PostWed Oct 23, 2013 11:26 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Yes mine is on on purpose. I disconnected the EGR so my exhaust gasses wouldnt recycle back into my intake and screw up my engine. hockeygrin.gif
That's actually backasswards. The EGR prevents exhaust gass issues.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostWed Oct 23, 2013 12:54 pm 
This ain't about technology or efficacy . . . this is about the fact that EGR is part of a commie/hippy ploy to steal his freedom via the international conspiracy propagated by "climate change." hockeygrin.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Oct 23, 2013 9:17 pm 
Speaking of EGR valves mine blew right apart a few months ago on my Nissal Maxima. It sounded like I had a hole in the muffler and exhaust was coming out the bottom of the car. In all this the check engine light never came on. Wonder if I could have passed the emissions test. lol.gif Then on my van which runs fine has a check engine light on for a knock sensor... Go figure. What a friggin joke.

AR

AR
PostThu Oct 24, 2013 6:07 pm 
ah hell...i had a check engine light cause my cigarette lighter was missing.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostWed Apr 27, 2016 8:47 pm 
markh752 wrote:
I should clarify my particular situation: (short version) the CEL was on, I went to my brother, he used the computer doohickey, CEL went out, 5 miles later CEL lit up, fixed said problem, CEL still on. I should probably have him clear the code.
Update: the CEL went off eventually. The CEL came back on recently. Since my brother got rid of his diagnostic tool, I recently purchased one for myself. Yep, the same code was still there. Unfortunately, a new one popped up. I did the respectable thing... I cleared the code and will wait to see if it comes up again. At least I now have a tool to keep clearing the CEL. hockeygrin.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Apr 27, 2016 9:32 pm 
AR wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Yes mine is on on purpose. I disconnected the EGR so my exhaust gasses wouldnt recycle back into my intake and screw up my engine. hockeygrin.gif
That's actually backasswards. The EGR prevents exhaust gass issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation EGR has just one function - see the link. I wonder about disabling it in a modern car though, as the fuel and spark maps stored in the ECU take it into account. In the old days you would disable EGR on your hot rod to get more power (inert exhaust gases take up space in the cylinder that could be used to get more power producing air and fuel in). I don't know how well that would work on a modern computer controlled engine. Some modern engines don't have EGR valves - they achieve the same thing through valve timing. Leaving the exhaust valve open for an extra long period of time allows some reversion of exhaust gases back into the cylinder. The check engine light has been on in my car since just after I bought it. It's a faulty solenoid in the evaporative emission control system. According to my mechanic buddy those can be a pain to track down as there are several solenoids and the problem can be intermittent. It doesn't affect how the car runs so I've been ignoring it but I'll have to pass an emissions test in July so will have to deal with it soon. Of course, since the light is always on for the above problem, its entirely possible some other problem has cropped up and I'm totally unaware of it since the light is always on anyway. Car runs fine though and averages about 26 mpg over a tank of gas so I don't care...

SKS

SKS
PostThu Apr 28, 2016 7:19 am 
I couldn't pull up Bedivere's link since I'm at work. EGR systems only exist to reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions. They do this by injecting exhaust gases (already burned) back into the intake to take up space between the fuel and air molecules and causing the flame front to burn slower reducing the combustion flame temperature. High combustion temps cause more Nox emissions. I believe these emissions are credited with contributing to acid rain.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 28, 2016 7:27 am 
NOx is a minor contributor to acid rain, the main culprit is SO2 from coal burning which becomes H2SO4 in the atmosphere. NOx is a major ingredient in photochemical smog when sunlight converts it to N2O4. This is the smog which used to occur in the Los Angeles basin and Seattle in the summer. It has been greatly reduced but not eliminated by emission controls. Basic Chemistry

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 28, 2016 9:58 am 
SKS wrote:
I couldn't pull up Bedivere's link since I'm at work. EGR systems only exist to reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions. They do this by injecting exhaust gases (already burned) back into the intake to take up space between the fuel and air molecules and causing the flame front to burn slower reducing the combustion flame temperature. High combustion temps cause more Nox emissions. I believe these emissions are credited with contributing to acid rain.
Yep. That's what the Wikipedia link explains. Your work won't let you access Wikipedia but will let you on this site? That's kind of odd.... confused.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 28, 2016 10:17 am 
Corporate internet filters recognize Wikipedia, but we must be flying under the radar. angel.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 28, 2016 10:30 am 
Check Engine Light == excessive emissions. Very rarely will a "Check Engine Light" issue prevent a car from moving. But with a Check Engine Light on -- you'll likely fail your Washington State Emissions test -- which could complicate renewing your tabs. Model years requiring testing for tabs that expire in 2016 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 If your car is newer than 2009 -- no need for testing -- I guess the state figures those newer vehicles are Go To Go. If you've got a car older than 1992 -- you are also don't need to test -- at least if the car still moves. The biggest thing to be concerned about with the Check Engine Light is if it is running too rich for some easily fixable reason, e.g. a faulty sensor -- if you ignore it -- running too rich can ruin the catalytic converter -- which is a very expensive repair -- and unless your car is older than 1992 -- replacing the catalytic converter with a straight pipe isn't an option.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 28, 2016 11:28 am 
Slugman wrote:
Corporate internet filters recognize Wikipedia, but we must be flying under the radar. angel.gif
I guess what I find odd is that a corporation would filter out Wikipedia.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 28, 2016 8:37 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
The biggest thing to be concerned about with the Check Engine Light is if it is running too rich for some easily fixable reason, e.g. a faulty sensor -- if you ignore it -- running too rich can ruin the catalytic converter -- which is a very expensive repair -- and unless your car is older than 1992 -- replacing the catalytic converter with a straight pipe isn't an option.
Well.... A cat converter for most vehicles doesn't *have* to be super expensive. Most muffler shops can put a generic one in for somewhere between $200-$500. The car won't care that the converter wasn't manufactured by the company that built the rest of the car. if you take your old car to a dealership I guarantee you are paying way more than you have to for many repairs, and not getting any better parts or workmanship for it. As for putting a straight pipe in - it's illegal to remove a cat converter from any car originally equipped with one and good luck finding a shop that will do it as it could put them out of business. Cat converters were mandated beginning in 1975. of course, there are ways around this but there are very few good reasons to do so.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 29, 2016 6:43 am 
IDK about federal law or whether EPA agents have the authority to inspect a vehicle -- but Washington State law exempts: "Vehicles over 25 years old." http://www.dmv.org/wa-washington/smog-check.php from inspection, also emission inspections are only required if you live in certain counties and zipcodes within those counties. http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/ZipCodes/Zip_codes07.pdf Whether a muffler shop would install a straight pipe on an old car is another question -- and whether it would be much cheaper than buying a aftermarket catalytic converter... But if you happen to have a welding torch and a DIY bent... That said -- it's best to deal with a "check engine light" promptly and ensure that your catalytic converter doesn't get plugged up. Spewing a bunch of unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere isn't cool, whether there is a legal penalty or not.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Apr 29, 2016 9:45 am 
Yes, it's a federal law issue. Just because the vehicle is exempt from state inspection doesn't mean you are allowed to remove federally mandated emissions equipment. It is a violation of federal law to remove a cat converter from a vehicle originally equipped with one and good luck finding a shop that will do it, even though old cars aren't inspected here in WA. I know this from experience. There are ways around it though, you just have to be a little creative. I know all about WA emission inspection - I've been a gearhead and owned old cars my whole life. My truck is an '84 Toyota which is exempt and when I rebuilt the engine I removed all of the emission equipment except the PCV valve which is actually beneficial to the engine, and the cat converter which doesn't give me any problems and would be a hassle to remove. WA state is phasing out vehicle emission inspections. Current plan is to stop testing all vehicles by 2020: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/state-phasing-out-vehicle-emission-testing/