Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Washington - Olympics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 pm 
Thanks to the detailed TR by Texaco the three of us did this without making any big wrong turns and without having to turn around at all. This trip was last week on one of the last dry days of the year. At one point near the beginning we got off trail in a ravine and then we heard a male voice booming through the woods "the main trail is up here". I liked how he called it the "main trail" instead of telling us that we were off the trail. Later there was a little route confusion and we wished that voice in the woods would guide us again. One member of the party who had never climbed before decided to stop at the basin at 5,200 feet. She waited there while Sam and I made the climb. I had never climbed before either, but I was in pretty good hiking condition after doing Mount Rose a few times, then doing Wagonwheel ridge and then backpacking to the Brothers Basecamp. The route up was a little scary for the two of us who made it, but we did make it. Then once we were on top we mostly just worried about downclimbing. I'm sure this will be less scary the second time. I never did make it up the Brothers, so making it up Mount Washington was extra nice. This was my first class three climb and now I feel like a whole new world has opened up for me. There were low clouds blocking the view to the east but we could see the top of the big mountains on the other side of Seattle. To the west we had an excellent view of the Olympics. Next week Mount Copper.. Copper is class 2 so it might just be a little easier.. More pictures and details on my blog: http://tinyurl.com/92amrjs
Track Log
Track Log
A scary exposed place
A scary exposed place
Lovely lichens on the summit
Lovely lichens on the summit
A fun tool
A fun tool
above the clouds
above the clouds
The summit is somewhere up there
The summit is somewhere up there
Sam signs the register
Sam signs the register
Finally on a summit with my helmet
Finally on a summit with my helmet
That little white speck is my car
That little white speck is my car
The big rock at the base of the high meadow
The big rock at the base of the high meadow

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Oct 15, 2012 9:17 am 
Congratulations Ranger Rock on your first "3"! up.gif Looks like it was an exceptional day above the marine layer.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Hanzsek

Hanzsek
PostMon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 pm 
About 15 years ago I was with friends climbing the E ridge of Washington (Route 4) when we got stuck atop "The Nose". The guidebook mentions the route goes over the sub-summit and then can be rapelled or downclimbed to reach the true summit but we didn't see it... Just as we prepared to retreat a male voice calls out loudly and says " Put her (my wife) back on belay and have her go down the NW side. She'll find it". Huh? Oh, wow, there's a guy standing 200 feet away on the summit telling us where the route is! So we did what he said and she found it and we completed our traverse - thanks to the guy I call The Route Angel... Sounds to me like he's still up there!

Marmot Bait
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Oct 15, 2012 2:45 pm 
Glad you made it and sorry I couldn't. up.gif We had some guys helping us with the route otherwise I don't think we would have made it either.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Oct 17, 2012 2:18 pm 
Good job, RR! Mount Washington is a great peak!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Scanfield

Scanfield
PostWed Oct 17, 2012 3:29 pm 
It was a great trip and thank you for letting me tag along! I've since made plans with Jessica to do either Ellinor or Rose so she can bag her first summit! I'm glad we had each other up there to keep pushing forward! smile.gif

Texaco

Texaco
PostWed Oct 17, 2012 7:11 pm 
Good work! Next time you might try staying more hydrated...helps with the hearing voices thing dizzy.gif

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 pm 
Scanfield wrote:
It was a great trip and thank you for letting me tag along! I've since made plans with Jessica to do either Ellinor or Rose so she can bag her first summit! I'm glad we had each other up there to keep pushing forward! smile.gif
I sure wish you had been with me on Copper today... I was soooo lost.. I never would have made it up Washingotn without your help. Thanks!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 pm 
Thanks for the report, including the good route illustrations. I've been fuzzy on where the normal route up this peak goes.