Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Cleanup begins of what Monte Cristo miners left behind
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 29, 2012 9:30 am 
The old puncheon road, the contoured slopes at the Concentrator site, the railroad switchback, the "Then and Now Rock" you see in many photos - those are historical artifacts that are not "trash," and that care is being taken to preserve. I enjoy mining debris such as that huge pulley above Glacier Basin and the turntable at the town site. to me, those are not "trash," but a part of history. Many of the trashed houses at the townsite I don't care for; some aren't that old, and are owned by people who don't even live in Washington. Peer into them and yeah, they're full of garbage - moldy mattresses and ugly vinyl kitchen chairs, etc.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trestle

trestle
PostMon Oct 29, 2012 9:22 pm 
Any chance the archaeological relics you mention will survive the cleanup or will they be viewed as contaminated as well?

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 29, 2012 10:35 pm 
The wood from the buildings at some of the site will be removed; the concentrator remains will be removed from the site, and older wooden remains in that area; storage bunkers, etc. The Monte Cristo Preservation Assn are working with CECLA professionals to ensure saving what can be reasonably saved.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Mine Explorer

Mine Explorer
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 12:35 pm