Forum Index > Trip Reports > A Walk along the Wissahickon 10/24/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Oct 31, 2012 9:19 pm 
While technically this IS a trip report, I'm writing it primarily to share with my family. But since nwhikers is part of my very extended Northwest family, I hope you enjoy it as well! winksmile.gif I spent last week visiting my family in Philly, catching up with folks I don't get to see often enough. I got to hang out with my Mom in the home I grew up in. She has a magnificent maple tree out front that was absoutely ablaze the whole week I was there (I left the day the hurricane came in so I'm sure the tree is bare now, but happy to be standing).
The color of the tree radiated into the house as well...it was gorgeous.
Two of my nieces were visiting...one seems to have the climbing genes... hockeygrin.gif
And 2 of my sisters were there as well. Guess which one is my twin...
With the great weather and fall colors, my sisters and I decided to take a hike along the Wissahickon. The Wissahickon Park is a city park with a trail system that winds along the Wissahickon Creek. http://www.mountainbikebill.com/pa-wissahickon.htm It's one of those special places that is a refuge of beauty in the middle of a major city. Another big plus is the fantastic little old (historical) restaurant at Valley Green that you can enjoy before, during or after your hike, depending on where you start. (we tried the soup, sandwiches and yummy hot cider, all fantastic).
The creek was running pretty low, but there was still enough water for the ducks and geese to congregate.
So off we went, my sisters and I, to reminisce, reflect and share what we've been up to.
Along the way we enjoyed the scenery of the woods, the creek, some falls, lots of really old buildings and infrastructure.
And I was thrilled to be HIKING with my sisters! There's nothing better than sharing the things you love with the people you love!
Here are a few other things I found along the way...
Elevation change: a few sets of stairs Round trip mileage: I dunno, we just walked until we were done Fun meter: This was one of my most favorite trips of the year. agree.gif Thanks Cynth and Barb for sharing it with me!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gray matter

gray matter
PostWed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm 
Wow, Zachster, you are really bringing back some cool memories. I lived on Shawmont Ave right where it curves into Umbria to take you the fast way from Roxborough to Manayunk. On afternoons when I didn't have too much schoolwork, I'd get my fly line wet in the river just upstream from the restaurant all the way to the covered bridge. We'd go running on the trails down there as well. I hadn't thought of that place in a while. It was really a nice little escape from the city. Thanks for the report. -Gray Matter Temple University '05

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 7:19 am 
My sis lives on Gerhard St, literally 2 blocks from the park in Roxborough, so that park is my oasis when I visit! Got to see it in autumn color blaze sometime. Thanks for the TR! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Frank

Frank
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 5:48 pm 
I spent the first 26 years of my life in that area

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 6:29 pm 
excellent. love the gate photo.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 8:04 pm 
That's a neat looking park. I like the stone staircase.
the Zachster wrote:

LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire

LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire
PostFri Nov 02, 2012 8:06 am 
Gorgeous photos!!

"We have one chance, one chance, to get everything right. We have one chance, one chance, and if we're lucky we might." One Chance, Modest Mouse
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Nov 02, 2012 10:33 am 
I left northern Minnesota 1976. No mountains, but the northern boreal forests do have their charm. And in autumn, if you fall behind on your mosquito insurance payments, no problem.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Nov 04, 2012 1:09 pm 
That looks lovely!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com