Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing PCT Thru Hiker Last Seen Oct. 19th North of Stevens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 pm 
Here's a photo of the missing (now found) PCT hiker.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tazz on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:43 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
bullfrog

bullfrog
PostWed Oct 31, 2012 7:06 pm 
There's some buzz on the PCT Class of 2012 Facebook page about a missing thru hiker north of Stevens Pass. I'm Fine (real name Ian Sarmento) was last see around Indian Pass (between Stevens Pass and Stehekin) around Oct. 19th. He never picked up his packages at Stehekin. Here is a link to a photo: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=522475334430043&set=a.172851909392389.43287.100000027430549&type=1&theater If anyone has seen him since Oct. 19th, please contact Snohomish County SAR.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 31, 2012 7:43 pm 
Hoping all is well. Sending out good vibes for Ian. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
monorail

monorail
PostWed Oct 31, 2012 11:33 pm 
So he would have been heading into the Whitechuck/Fire Creek Pass segment just as snow levels were dropping below 3000'. I hiked that section of the PCT last October, and there were still some old signs for Kennedy Hot Springs and trails that have (as far as I know) been obliterated/rendered impassable by the storms. I wonder if he encountered deep unconsolidated snow and tried to exit via the Whitechuck, possibly misled by the obsolete signage? As I understand it, there's not really a viable trail exit between Red Pass and the Suiattle. Anyway, I hope he's alright.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 12:31 am 
Rivers and creeks have been running really high too. I hope he is found and soon. bawl.gif That's an enormous area to search.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 6:19 am 
that's a long time to be missing. hoping for the best!

bullfrog

bullfrog
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 am 
I'll update if I hear anything. There's a lot of chatter on the PCT Class of 2012 list about his survival abilities and inclination to carry lots of food, so let's hope for the best.

LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire

LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 8:04 am 
Oh gosh... Prayers going out to him and his family...

"We have one chance, one chance, to get everything right. We have one chance, one chance, and if we're lucky we might." One Chance, Modest Mouse
dmw

dmw
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 am 
Any info please contact me, Snohomish Co. Sheriff's Office SAR sergeant Danny Wikstrom, @ 425-388-3328. If you reach voice mail and believe the information is critical please contact 911 and ask to be connected with me. Thank you

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 am 
Vibes to the guy. Huge area to cover, complex terrain, easy to get into a drainage with no trail exit.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 11:54 am 
I hope he wasn't drawn into the hype about how "long" the re-route is to the new bridge over the Suiattle and so tried the original route to try to save time, which now requires a ford of both Vista Creek and the Suiattle, and is not always safe (but it can be!) and does not save time. The Kennedy Creek crossing is tough in high water too. If precip is falling as snow, then the rivers won't be running particularly high. I'm sure SAR is working with land managers to ensure they know the usual places that cause trouble to hikers.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
JustKarl

JustKarl
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 2:37 pm 
Someone should contact the Seattle Times to print a little missing hiker section in their Local News section.. Prayers goin out to "Im Fine"

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw
RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 4:17 pm 
Hopefully the break in the weather will give searchers an opportunity to find him.

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 4:50 pm 
Storytime and myself (Bouncer) were the last ones to see him on trail. 3:00 pm on Oct 19th at Ward's Gap. It had been driving rain all day and he seemed in good shape wanting to continue. We tried to talk him into camping with us and trying the passes the next day; Indian Pass, White Pass, then Red Pass. He chose to keep going. We bailed the next morning after getting dumped on. Struggle to reverse the 1 mile back to the N Fork Sky trail since the trail was totally buried. Luckily we found our way out. When we were walking the road out trying to hitch, we saw LEO. I told him about I'm Fine and my concern for his welfare but he just shrugged it off and said he's not overdue and no need to start a search. Wish I would have been more convincing...

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Nov 01, 2012 4:54 pm 
His story is making its way through all the formal channels. I just was contacted by MBSNF media relations asking to post the photo here in the thread, so added the image to the Wiki post at the top.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short