Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bare(ly) Bearable - No Views 11/10/2012
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Nov 11, 2012 1:41 am 
The Driver did this hike almost exactly one year ago today . . . Baring It All! What a difference a year makes! Last year - the road was washed out, and this ended up being a 16 mile hike! When we started, it was 27 degrees - today it was a balmy 34. Last year, there was no snow on the ground until about 600' below the summit; this year, we had snow (albeit a trace initially) from the start. Although Barry had done this hike a couple of times before, Barb had never done it, and I assured her that the views were worth the trek. agree.gif rolleyes.gif. So, at the non-Alpine start from the trailhead (yes, you can drive all the way to the trailhead now - and we were the only car there) of 10:30 a.m. off we go.
Someone's ready to go!
Someone's ready to go!
The rocks are slick with decaying leaves - making things a bit sporting! The clearing skies we had hoped for weren't materializing according to plan. paranoid.gif waah.gif Undaunted we made our way for the first Bear Creek Crossing. Unlike last year, there was no handline for crossing the big ol' log - and the two, narrow logs were slicker than snot - but we all made it across without falling in (Gus was more than happy to take the "wet" route). The Driver did decide to ford the stream au cheval across the big log on the way in because the smaller logs looked way too slippery, but I opted for the slippery crossing on the way back.
Treacherous Bear Creek Crossing
Treacherous Bear Creek Crossing
Crossing to safety!
Crossing to safety!
Bear Creek
Bear Creek
A little farther up the trail, there is a decent crossing of Bear Creek.
Crossing Bear Creek - with a bridge!
Crossing Bear Creek - with a bridge!
We entered the meadow area, only to find a (very) few sucker holes of blue in the sky and looking up toward what should be the summit of Bare Mtn. was down right dismal!
Where's that sunny, clear day?
Where's that sunny, clear day?
Into the cloud of gloom
Into the cloud of gloom
There was less snow on the top than last year. It also was pretty darned nippy on the summit (24 degrees). We grabbed our lunch, had some hot tea, posed for the summit shot and then headed down.
Dazzling summit views
Dazzling summit views
My camera gave up the ghost somewhere along the way . . . . but Barb and Barry have some pics. Uneventful trip down. Saw three groups of two heading to the summit - seemed a bit late to be going up, especially with how early it gets dark now. We were back to the car a bit before 3:00 p.m. - I didn't miss the 8-mile roundtrip road walk this time! winksmile.gif Never did see the sun - note to self: leave the sunglasses in the car if you want sun! cool.gif agree.gif Nice trip, none-the-less.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Nov 11, 2012 9:04 am 
It was a "TrailPair summit" kind of day! rant.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Nov 11, 2012 9:25 am 
stay tuned- I have a similar trip report from a Hwy 2 destination. We thought we were headed out for a beautiful day in the mountains, but we were snowed on (heavily) much of the day. waah.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Nov 11, 2012 10:28 am 
We kept thinking that the clouds would break up and show a little sun, but that didn't happen. Well, it was still a great day, and we didn't get overheated or sunburned! dizzy.gif
The stand up method
The stand up method
The 'au cheval' method
The 'au cheval' method
Bear Cr.
Bear Cr.
Nearing the summit
Nearing the summit
Somebody took off their clothes.  Brrrrr
Somebody took off their clothes. Brrrrr

pithy yet insightful signature
BarbE

BarbE
PostSun Nov 11, 2012 2:04 pm 
Looks like we weren't the only ones who got tricked by the weatherman. I hear there are fine views to be had on Bare Mountain. Not this time. Very few pics-too cold to linger or take my hands out of the mittens. frown.gif
chevaling it, seemed like a good idea ::)
chevaling it, seemed like a good idea smile.gif
getting a bit chilly on the icy slick log
getting a bit chilly on the icy slick log
somewhat easier crossing
somewhat easier crossing
walking into the snowstorm
walking into the snowstorm
close-up
close-up
rock slabs
rock slabs
Bare Mtn Nov 11
Bare Mtn Nov 11
a speck of light
a speck of light

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Nov 11, 2012 4:15 pm 
Looks like everyone got snookered by the weatherman yesterday! And I love the new mantra for hiking in the NW: "it was still a great day... we didn't get overheated or sunburned!" agree.gif lol.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire

LadyÆsa
Surefooted Spitfire
PostMon Nov 12, 2012 9:52 am 
Looks like you guys had a great time!!

"We have one chance, one chance, to get everything right. We have one chance, one chance, and if we're lucky we might." One Chance, Modest Mouse
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 am 
Hi folks, way to rally while many of us were watching football and eating donuts! OK, at least I was a fairweather hiker this weekend and opted to do next to nothing. Quick question: what is the road like to the TH for a Honda Civic? Warm air will probably keep it snow free a bit longer, I am hoping. thanks, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostWed Nov 14, 2012 9:16 am 
John Morrow wrote:
Quick question: what is the road like to the TH for a Honda Civic?
Lots of potholes on the N. Fork Road, but should be no problem with a Civic.

pithy yet insightful signature
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 am 
Wow, that is some service Middle E. Potholes comparable to Upper Cle Elum River/Fish lake road? Thanks for the info--about as fast as Google! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
touron

touron
PostWed Nov 14, 2012 7:04 pm 
A worthy poll--how many are brave enough to walk across this log?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Nov 14, 2012 7:10 pm 
Haven't been there for a few years, so I can't say for sure how it would go now, but we always did that log (pair of logs) and our more nimble dog followed, while the other bigger guy waded. Too bad you missed the views up there, but it's still a pretty hike. And always nice not to be able to see your feet when you cross the meadow where the trail is still alongside the stream (quite the jungle in July!).

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 pm 
I don't remember the twin logs - maybe they were under water in June? I do remember fording that creek in my boots! http://www.yellowleaf.org/scramble/g/r/2012-06-10-canoe.html

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 pm 
my admittedly spotty and quite possibly faulty memory has there being a pair of small-ish logs like that right around that spot for multiple seasons in a row. Could be wrong; what I'm certain of is that our big dog Max did was not always up for using whatever log crossing the rest of us used there. Or perhaps that pair gets washed a bit downstream and someone hauls it back up each season...