Forum Index > Trail Talk > is the hoh river fordable?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 am 
As always, AA comes through with very nice photos backed by his wealth of knowledge. Thanks! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Phil

Phil
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 3:07 pm 
Ancient Ambler wrote:
Crossing the Hoh in that area suggests your itinerary may include the Ridge of the Gods, the Lakes of the Gods and/or Mount Tom.
Lake of the Gods, Janus from NW
4 labels
Great pics, thanks for posting. In the last one there you can see a boot and/or hoof track that is in the vicinity of the route that was described to me by a climber when I was looking into an adventure in the area. He made it all sound pretty straight-forward, and had done it in the first week of August. :shrug: As for a crossing, this is the site I might watch; we used it for our Mt. Tom trip but in that case we knew what water level meant crossing was possible or not for that specific spot. Hoh water levels

reststep

reststep
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 pm 
Those are nice photos AA. Thanks for posting them. When are you going to Lakes of the Gods? Looking at the map it looks like following Mount Tom Creek gets very steep but a little further up the Hoh there is a stream that appears to flow out of the lakes that might be a less steep approach but is probably a major brush bash. I don't know about following a ridge. I probably will not make it there but I will put it on my list anyway.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
iron

iron
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 6:16 pm 
geesh, i don't know what all you guys are getting all excited about... you think i'm going to go in there and climb all that cool stuff? maybe i just want to get to the other side of the river, a la a chicken. hockeygrin.gif i mean, who would want to go somewhere called the lake of the gods anyway? suuure.gif

reststep

reststep
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 6:18 pm 
The secret is out now. up.gif Have ethorsen or Larry been there?

silence

silence
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 6:23 pm 
iron wrote:
i mean, who would want to go somewhere called the lake of the gods anyway? suuure.gif
seriously dude .. what a lame idea wink.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Chico

Chico
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm 
RodF wrote:
I've asked several people in the Park, and found no one who knows anything about this old route.
Who did you ask? Larry Lack is the trail supervisor and if he doesn't know then no one does.

touron

touron
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 pm 
Fer how long has the Hoh River been fersale? uhh.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
reststep

reststep
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 8:59 pm 
Phil wrote:
4 labels
Great pics, thanks for posting. In the last one there you can see a boot and/or hoof track that is in the vicinity of the route that was described to me by a climber when I was looking into an adventure in the area.
That does look like a path especially when you view the original larger version but like you say I suppose it could be a game trail.

Phil

Phil
PostTue Dec 04, 2012 9:50 pm 
reststep wrote:
Have ethorsen or Larry been there?
Larry went there but from the Olympus side. Shacknasty went in via Mt. Tom creek and I recall him saying it took a week or so to negotiate the valley and then find a way up the cliffs at the end. I'd aim for Falls Creek if I ever get a chance to cross this one off my list.

RodF

RodF
PostTue Dec 11, 2012 5:16 pm 
Chico wrote:
RodF wrote:
I've asked several people in the Park, and found no one who knows anything about this old route.
Who did you ask? Larry Lack is the trail supervisor and if he doesn't know then no one does.
I report to him (as a volunteer), and did ask him a couple years ago about this and other abandoned trails. But if this route had ever been maintained by the park at all (the 1923 map text suggests it was an unmaintained climbing route, at best a cleared path, not a built trail), it was abandoned in 1927, before the Mt. Olympus Nat'l Monument was transferred from USFS to NPS in 1933 and all institutional memory and records was lost, and two full generations before he joined the park. If anyone in the park today knows anything of this route, it might be one of the backcountry rangers?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva