Forum Index > Gear Talk > TNF FlashDry ...anyone try it yet?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 pm 
Another new intriguing miracle fabric....maybe. the North Face "FlashDry" product lines. Everything from jackets to t-shirts. I thought the heavier Zip-T-Neck long sleeve looks intriguing for cooler weather, combined with the miracle laminate of your choice. I noticed a big difference with my neoshell jacket when I went from 20 year old heavy polypro to a nice new Patagonia lightweight base layer or a vaporwick TNF fleece. My impression is that having a material that really pumps moisture away from your skin, so the vapor can escape through your miracle laminate of choice, is critical to function of these materials, whether they be gore or eVent or Neoshell or some variation thereof. FlashDry is taughted as the Next Big Thing in wicking. Anyone antied up to give it a try yet?

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostTue Dec 11, 2012 11:13 pm 
I've noticed the FlashDry comercials on line. I am skeptical of TNF, but if anyone has a first hand opinion on this tech (mostly jackets for me), please let us know! It looks like something I would be interested in!

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 2:00 pm 
There is not much user info out there on this material, and I am also leary of TNF products as being more hype than substance. But heck, who would have ever expected Columbia to make anything but cheap crap, so companies can change. TNF seems to be setting up a decent R&D protocol. So far the few reviews I can find seem favorable, except one mention that the shirt I am considering "snags easily". Odd, only one person mentions this. And one person gave a bad review because the place he bought it sent him some other product. Not sure why he dinged this product for that. Of course now I have to wait until after xmas to buy. Hoping for a sale. biggest discount I can find on the $60 zip neck warm non-wool long-sleeved shirt is 1 cent off. Although REI has the year end rebate and a warranty that puts them to the top of the list as a source for trying new technology.

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 4:13 pm 
boot up wrote:
So far the few reviews I can find seem favorable, except one mention that the shirt I am considering "snags easily". Odd, only one person mentions this.
He probably failed to mention he was bushwhacking all day through slide alder and devils club. Like the people who are doing the same and complaining that their pants aren't very durable.. lol.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Dec 22, 2012 7:19 pm 
after wearing it up and down Tiger mountain on a nasty weather day, climbing in temperate to deep snow, rain through snow, frigid to pummeled by wet snowbombs and even almost warm. Combined with a breathable shell, I stayed downright comfortable all day and was almost completely dry by the time I got back to the car. Yes I get wet climbing. I sweat like the proverbial pig. But the TNF Flashdry really pumps the moisture away, instead of feeling like a sponge. I have the "warm" version. It was worth the $60 investment for me. YMMV

friluftsliv