Forum Index > Food & Grub > What is the best smoked salmon in Seattle?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostThu Mar 20, 2014 11:17 pm 
Best ever was off the dock in Westview, Campbell River B.C. I've had pretty good smoked salmon from the Public Market in Seattle as well... don't remember the name of the shop... across the street from the main section of the market...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostThu Mar 27, 2014 11:42 am 
Until this year, all the salmon I've caught (and decided to smoke), I've done thru Jensen's, and I can recommend them. (Grab some of their "trail mix" and a couple smoked game hens while you are there). But this year, a fishing buddy bit the bullet and got a high capacity smoker. Between that, and the other fishing buddies' cold-smoke rig for lox, I'm set. Caught, cleaned, brined and smoked all by me smile.gif --Gray

Dante

Dante
PostFri Mar 28, 2014 10:55 am 
I don't have any recommendations in the city (but am following this thread for other members' recommendations). My favorite smoked salmon is from the dirty looking blue garage in Neah Bay. I though I just loved it because I was always hungry when I bought smoked Salmon there, but they've actually been written up in the New York Times. "In Neah Bay, the smell of the sea gave way to the scent of burning wood, of salmon sizzling above it, to the perfume of alchemy. At its source we found a Makah named Kimm C. Brown, who runs the ramshackle Take Home Fish Company, a salmon barbecue shack that produces food more than worthy of the journey: delicious, fat king salmon, smoked hot in a drum over wet alder. The fish is sprinkled with herbs, then suspended over the smoke for 20 minutes or more." LINK

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Mar 28, 2014 1:51 pm 
I smoke my own. It really isn't difficult. And doing it yourself, you can experiment with the brine, wood, and times. The big thing is you just have to learn how to prperly fillet the fish. A nice king salmon with lots of fat is my favorite, but even chum salmon can be made to be tasty. When I get one with lots of fat, I usually grill part of it because fresh grilled salmon is the best stuff ever. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."