Forum Index > Trip Reports > Low Mountain, North Ridge - 12/12/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 pm 
Getting high on Low left us feeling rather worn-down. I first realized how much powder we now have, while climbing Welldiggers Ass on Sunday, when I fell into a tree well up to my chest. During the descent, those pesky ski folks asked us to stay out of their skin tracks. But what if we made those tracks ourselves with snowshoes? Should we ask them to stay out of our snowshoe tracks? No, I wouldn't do that. It's rude.
Dark And Dreary
Dark And Dreary
Low Summit
Low Summit
The conditions of the north ridge of Low Mountain today were not much better. It took us ages to reach Hemlock Pass. Above the pass we found that the first third of the north ridge was narrow with exposure. The middle third was broad and sloping and then the upper third was narrow again, but without exposure.
The Summit Block
The Summit Block
Finally The Storm Cleared
Finally The Storm Cleared
We traversed steep snow below the summit block on the east face to find easier summit access on the south ridge. EastKing made his trademark pose and then we were on our way down, trying to keep warm in the wind and snow. Finally the weather broke around 3:30pm with an hour left of daylight. We were all wet from the all-day precip. Speaking of getting low, my mountaineering career took a nose-dive on Monday with an ascent of Sterling Hill 380'. I suspect that Sterling lacks 400P.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostWed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 pm 
two low points = 1 peakbagger. hockeygrin.gif

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:11 pm 
Wish I could have made it. Glad you had a good trip.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 pm 
LOL rotf.gif rotf.gif rotf.gif Well at least you got some great exercise! up.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:33 pm 
iron wrote:
two low points = 1 peakbagger. hockeygrin.gif
Takes one to know one. tongue.gif

whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
But what if we made those tracks ourselves with snowshoes? Should we ask them to stay out of our snowshoe tracks?
The rules are simple really: 1) Snowshoers must stay out ski tracks. 2) Skiers may use snowshoe tracks. 3) The resulting hybrid ski-snowshoe track from rule 2 is open to everybody. 4) Boot stompers are not allowed to use any kind of ski or snowshoe track. They should just stay home and watch TV Let's all have fun together and play safe!

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 10:12 am 
whitebark wrote:
Gimpilator wrote:
But what if we made those tracks ourselves with snowshoes? Should we ask them to stay out of our snowshoe tracks?
The rules are simple really: 1) Snowshoers must stay out ski tracks. 2) Skiers may use snowshoe tracks. 3) The resulting hybrid ski-snowshoe track from rule 2 is open to everybody. 4) Boot stompers are not allowed to use any kind of ski or snowshoe track. They should just stay home and watch TV Let's all have fun together and play safe!
huh? huh.gif These rules are absolutely absurd! I will walk, snowshoe or skin where I darn well please.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 11:31 am 
Low Mountain was an absolute brutal powder and slog fest. Without Gimpilator and Jacob Smith I would have had no shot at this summit. Someone over the weekend is going to have a lot easier time than we did going up this peak. Take advantage of the path while its there. Also the Denny Creek Trailhead as of Wednesday is still doable in most cars and all trucks!!! The peak even became granted it's nastiest surprise by partial clearing 30 minutes AFTER WE WERE ON THE SUMMIT! down.gif shakehead.gif That all being said it was great being out with friends today and able to spend some time exercising in the snow!!! At least I don't have to feel too guilty over the next couple of days eating. up.gif up.gif Here are my photos...
The last steps to the summit.
The last steps to the summit.
From the summit cornice
From the summit cornice
Gimpilator and Jacob Smith
Gimpilator and Jacob Smith
Nice winter scene
Nice winter scene
Blue, where were you an hour ago!
Blue, where were you an hour ago!
Winter is here
Winter is here
Denny Mountain through the fog
Denny Mountain through the fog

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 am 
Nice get fellas. up.gif

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 11:40 am 
So, Matt, you're the guy who's been wrecking my ski tracks? I am disappointed. I wouldn't even let my dog walk in anybody's ski tracks. If you do stuff like that, you can't complain when the snowmos wreck your day. Golden Rule. I guess it's hard for non-skiers to comprehend how badly footprints degrade ski tracks. Skis don't damage snowshoe tracks.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 12:12 pm 
As a person who skins up and skis down popular snowshoing trails myself, I have just learned to deal with skiing through snowshoe tracks knowing that 90% of people, including myself will showshoe whereever the path of least resistance is. If I come across a group of snowshoers I am certainly not going to tell them to stay out of my ski track...IMO thats rude! My previous post was written partially as a joke. I wasn't completely sure if you the stated rules were serious or not... The way I see it the mountains, the trails and the path of least resistance is open to everyone..which includes already made trenches. Down in Colorado if someone uses a trench made by a party just ahead of them we call that trench-poaching! It's perfectly fine to do that you just get less props. I'm sorry if I came across a bit batty.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 pm 
Low Mountain is good for anyone looking for a good trail-poach right now!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 1:05 pm 
Yeah I know there are some rules from the one time I snowshoed in a place where people also ski.. the rules are 6 legs good, 2 legs bad.. oh wait.. that's the rule when you share the trail with horses.. never mind.. Where is this Low Mountain? I wanna go trail poaching...

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 pm 
From the WTA website: Driving Directions: From Seattle drive east on I-90 to exit 47 (Asahel Curtis/Denny Creek). Turn left over the overpass and proceed to a T. Turn right and travel 0.25 mile to Denny Creek Road (Forest Road 58). Turn left and drive 2.5 miles, turning left on the paved road just after the Denny Creek Campground. The trailhead is at the road's end. Northwest Forest Pass required.

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostThu Dec 13, 2012 6:45 pm 
wolffie wrote:
If you do stuff like that, you can't complain
strange.gif That is some snow hiking!!! up.gif

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC