Forum Index > Gear Talk > Arc'teryx Gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
grizzlygibbs

grizzlygibbs
PostWed Dec 19, 2012 11:36 pm 
I wanted some opinions on some gear. I am looking at a the Beta AR which is an all around (AR) hard shell with Gore-tex Pro shell 3L. This will be a 4 season jacket for me and will be used for snow shoeing, the rare ski trip, hiking in wet weather, etc. I got my first hard shell 12 years ago, think bright yellow and black shoulders, a Columbia parka without a liner or insulation that still made me sweat like a 64oz. Dr. Pepper on a hot summer day. I then got an insulated jacket for snowboarding/standing around (thanks Hun, very warm but just didnt cut it for waterproof or breathable). The online reviews seem great for this jacket. Now I wanted the opinion from the PNW masses.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 7:08 am 
I personally find arc'teryx gear to be overpriced. I would spend half as much on a jacket and use the rest for gas money to get to the trailhead for a year. I have a Rab Latok Alpine which I've been very pleased with. http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/shell/latok-alpine-jacket.html

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 8:43 am 
The Beta AR will be a great purchase and more durable with less upkeep then Rab or Westcomb Event jackets. As far as breathability, unless you are in cold dry climates ProShell and Event are pretty much even I own Rab, Westcomb, and Arc'teryx hard shells and the comparison is easy to make.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 am 
I have clothing made out of ProShell, It is clearly one of the most breathable fabrics out there. It is also designed for durability. I have looked at the Beta AR line and I think you would be hard pressed to find a better shell, assuming the fit and features work for you. I have a number of pieces of Rab gear, probably my favorite clothing company right now. I have a light weight eVent jacket (not the Latok) that I love and wear probably more than I should for what was sold as a packable jacket. No signs of wear, though, and I'm not gentle with my gear. Polartec has a new shell material out,Neoshell which I have been hearing great things about. A friend recently bought a Rab shell with the new material and says it breathes like crazy. Hasn't had the coat long enough to assess durability. There are lots of shells out there for less money, but a shell made out of eVent, ProShell, or Neoshell by a good company like Rab or Arc'teryx is in my opinion a good buy.

Luc

Luc
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 pm 
I purchased the Theta AR 4 years ago (5?) when they first came out. Nothing but great experiences so far. Yes expensive, but IMO there is value in good design especially in regards to cut. It's more than just the material. I also really like Rab gear and have nothing but good experiences there too, but I think the Arcteryx stuff is the most durable in my experiences. I've used it exclusively for summer and winter, with no tears. Lots of bushwhacking, lots of laying in the snow. Lots of crumpling, and stuffing. I even had a pack of jellybellys melt in one of the pockets. Now it just has a colorful spot on the inside! Wash, apply dwr, dry, go.

GNGSTR
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 1:21 pm 
Jeff wrote:
I would skip on Proshell and go for something more breathable, but that is just me.
Of all the truly waterproof materials used in shells it is some of the most breathable stuff used by any manufacturer. Beta AR = great choice

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
grizzlygibbs

grizzlygibbs
PostThu Dec 20, 2012 2:56 pm 
This is good discussion. The biggest reason for me wanting arc' gear is because I have heard nothing but good. I almost went with a TNF shell but it was HyVent and did not have pit zips (cant remember the model). I do not care how breathable a fabric is, I am gonna sweat and my base layer and back where a pack is will get damp so pit zips and ventilation is a must for me. Rab seems intriguing to me, but I wonder if their warranty is as good as arc's. I have heard very mixed reviews of eVent. Seems hit and miss depending on the person. For this reason I will likely stay away from eVent. I am usually very careful with my gear to the point that I do not take chances if I am worried something will rip or break, with Arc' I know I wont have to worry about this... I will likely go with the Beta AR for its good reviews, though I know it is a very expensive piece of gear, it is also trusted and will last me a long time.

zeroforhire

zeroforhire
PostWed Dec 26, 2012 3:56 pm 
If you can wait, get the new gore pro shell that is coming out next season. It is supposed to be more breathable (in the eVent range) but still extremely durable. If you cannot wait, then the current pro shell is a great choice. I have used eVent extensively... and have found it to be breathable until you get it dirty. It is fragile and needs to be washed way more than gore tex pro shell. If you are gentle with your gear, this might work out for you. I just got introduced to Mountain Equipment. I am a long time Arcteryx user, and feel like Mountain Equipment offers a comparable product. Since ME is relatively new here in the USA, you can find some good deals on it. http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/home.asp my 2 cents.

LewisGoes

LewisGoes
PostWed Dec 26, 2012 11:33 pm 
I have an Arc'teryx jacket that I purchased in 1998 that is still in great shape. Fifteen years and still going strong!

grizzlygibbs

grizzlygibbs
PostFri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm 
I ended up going with the Beta AR. I couldn't wait any longer and was not even able to search for sales or good deals. I like it a lot, just wish I was able to get it a little cheaper. At least I know it has a bombproof warranty on top of a no questions asked return policy! Thanks BC.com and thanks everyone here for your valuable input!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 am 
I've had a Beta AR for several years. I love it! Fantastic jacket. Well thought out, not too flashy, and the cut is perfect. It looks like the day I bought it.

grizzlygibbs

grizzlygibbs
PostFri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 pm 
I am liking it so far. It is a lot lighter than I expected, breathes fairly well, but like I said, I sweat a lot. I also was able to do a price match on it and get back about 175 bucks. I am pretty stoked about that!